>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Myths and Legends - Nov 2009 > Low Poly - "The Slayer"

Old 07-11-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
spindraft

Send a message via MSN to spindraft Send a message via Yahoo to spindraft
Spindraft - The Slayer - Navezgane

Basic Idea behind this guy is he's a solitary nomadic hunter. Travels throughout the universe & between dimensions hunting dangerous beast/demons that have strayed to realms in which they do not belong.

I decided to go w/ an Apache name, due to their nomadic nature & stealthy/cunning war tactics.

Navezgane, quite simply, means killer of monsters.

This is my initial concept bust.
Attached Images

spindraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
why the long face...
nice start, man; looks abit odd with no mouth.
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
Nice design.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
spindraft

Thanks guys . W/ the no mouth thing, he doesn't really have a nose or ears either. I figure being a super advanced being he doesn't really need them. I guess he prob. wouldn't need eyes either, but he's gotta have at least some character.

Anyway, I have some ideas tossing about w/ what I want to do, but they're just kind of bits 'n pieces. As far as the fleshing out the concept as a whole I've been kinda banging my head on the desk.

Did this bit today, playing around w/ some ideas for the torso. He'll prob. have some armor and stuff over some of this, or I was also thinking the upper chest part of the sculpt I may just make that an armor piece. Not sure yet.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
oO! great start sculpt!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
RHedendahl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating the topology resource thread! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 3
Thats one never ending torso . Good start.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
spindraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_solo View Post
oO! great start sculpt!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgan View Post
Thats one never ending torso . Good start.
Thanks. Yeah the torso length is kinda going for the 'super tall skinny alien thing'. So he's going to have a very 'stretched' overall physique. Looking at it though, I think I'll be tweaking it to have more of a ? spine shape & be a little hunched.
Old 13-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
spindraft

Got pulled away from this for a couple days. Trying to get back into it tonight. Quick paint over feeling out some ideas, curved up the spine a little, and starting to rough in other main forms. W/ some luck I can start some rough re-top & stitching the meshes together tonight........mebe.
Attached Images

Old 13-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
spindraft

Did some fixing on the posture & got the basic anatomy on the legs back in.....& back to ps. Kinda like the direction a little better now. Will prob. just try to refine this some tomorrow and call it done on the design stage.

Nevermind the color, just a means to see what I'm doing.
Attached Images

Old 13-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
pogimonz
mango smoothie!

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 3
the tall proportions work, I like it a lot.. he looks like he'll fit in the starcraft world ..

keep up the great work!
pogimonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
paint over is coOL! good idea for tentacle
Old 13-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
spindraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogimonz View Post
the tall proportions work, I like it a lot.. he looks like he'll fit in the starcraft world ..

keep up the great work!
Lol yeah. When I was roughing the legs in last night I started putting some exagerated pertruding bony hips. I've never even played starcraft, but between the hips/head/ & stature I thought, "damn, I just made a protoss dude /facepalm".

Going to have to be careful to try to stay away from that.

Thanks Chris. It's a little hard to see b/c I kinda painted over it (but you can see on the post w/ zspheres), but he also has a little gimp arm there attached on the outside of the elbow. Will be to operate a little control panel built into his forearm.

For his weapon I'm leaning toward a Bow & some throwing knives. Will prob. have to make the tentacle to where it can split up into several tentacles so he could actually use that stuff. We'll see.
Old 14-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #13
spindraft

Well, starting to do some actual work today. As is probably obvious, I'm still not concerned w/ counts yet, will still have much detailing/sculpt work to do.
Attached Images