>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 29-03-2009, 03:31 AM   #16
martinf.dk

zbrush

Dominance War is a good project for me to finaly learn using zBrush so here I go. Not the face for my character just playing and trying everything out.
First thing I have done in zbrush apart from being facinated with stacking paint.
Will do a few more test models and start and then start on the real thing.
Attached Images

martinf.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #17
Linc
Toast is Yes

Send a message via MSN to Linc
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Total Awards: 1
I'm digging the goggles on 6 also, big chunky aviator ones would be good.

Really like the low poly movements as well, lots of character.
Linc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #18
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Dude, you shoulda entered the mini comp! That was GREAT practice for me with Mudbox; it would have been a great area for you to practice some Zbrushing too!

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:24 AM   #19
martinf.dk

Body low poly

You are right, I should probably have started practicing zBrush earlier, but nothing to do about that now then learn it now instead.

I went for a mix between 6 and 10 for the head and think I will keep the goggles.
Did a bit more blocking out of the engine. Did a low poly for the body soon ready for zBrush. Will retopoligise the body after zBrush so focusing on a clean flow, without much detail. I plan to make the engine high poly in max, so the current engine is just a sketch and will be replaced by smaller parts and other details.
Let me know what you think

His mouth is closed at the moment, does any one have a trick how to work with that in zBrush? do I open it or do I hide part of the mess while modeling the inside?
Attached Images

Last edited by martinf.dk; 02-04-2009 at 04:52 AM..
Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #20
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Nice. More flying elbow drops. Some sort of nasty elbow piece just for that?
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #21
martinf.dk

zBrush start

Start working in zBrush, a lot of it is still too blobby and in an early state.
Will consider the albow spikes when starting on the equipment later on.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #22
martinf.dk

Starting to get the hang of zBrush. Still need more work on the fingers and, but starting to look like what I had expected.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #23
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Be careful applying that detail. It's really easy to get carried away and loose the muscle structure underneath. Try just using the clay brush for a while, it'll help keep your marks be more controlled.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 06-04-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #24
martinf.dk

Thanks I think you are right, It does tend to end up quite blobby. I will try out the clay brush
Old 08-04-2009, 04:50 AM   #25
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I think the "blobbiness", as you put it, works for him. I mean, he is fairly cartoony, in terms of overall design. Really intense detail might clash with the proportions and style you got going. The too much detail problem that Crispy mentioned is already creeping in a bit; the anatomy on the forearm doesn't make much sense to me.

Other than a few overly sculpted areas, the sculpt looks fine to me, honestly. Though you've only been working on his organic parts so far; sharper, more dense details on the mechanical parts might work well.

Great progress so far man! Keep goin!

Last edited by VinsanityV20; 08-04-2009 at 04:53 AM..
Old 09-04-2009, 01:12 AM   #26
martinf.dk

zbrush body

Really like working with the clay tool after awhile thanks for the tip.
Will soon have to move on, even thou I would love to work more in zBrush.
Let me know what you think Will post a close up of the head in a bit.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #27
martinf.dk

zbrush head

Here is the head so far. Do you think I should make non symmetrical details or does it work fine as it is? Soon I will start doing some colours in zbrush, and some of the non organic stuff in max.
Attached Images

Old 15-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #28
martinf.dk

tire and goggles

Had a bit of time to spend on this project, and decided to start on some of the minor non organic pieces in max.
Attached Images

Old 25-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #29
martinf.dk

glove

Here is a view of a rather low poly model of the character in max, with the non organic stuff in black.
Googles, glove and wheel are more or less done. Next I will do the engine, gear on the back and lower body.
Attached Images

Old 26-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #30
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Man, either you're blazin' here and people don't have time to comment, or this place is a ghost town. Maybe you should take some time to poke around and check out some of the rest of Team Threedy's stuff - who knows, you might find some stuff that gives you a cool idea for an accessory or something We are a team after all; time to enjoy bouncing ideas off of each other.

Anyway, your progress is excellent. Glad you enjoyed the sculpting so much - I think it turned out very clean and very good looking. I find it a little weird that you won't sculpt the inorganic stuff at all though - even though you don't need to. Still though, look at the tire for example - wouldn't that be easier to do as a Zbrush sculpt and than just pull a normal onto a cylinder?

Other than that, the only crit I can see at this point is that the chin reads a bit like a beak right now - look at the bottom right render in your last WIP shot. It's too pointy.

Overall though, it looks pretty good - it's all coming together nicely, and living up to your concept very well. Keep goin'!