>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 09-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #46
FrZnChAoS
Shaolin Renderer

Send a message via AIM to FrZnChAoS Send a message via MSN to FrZnChAoS
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge - SMC #49 Fly The Friendly Skies 
Total Awards: 3
Heres a update for what Ive done this morning. Hopefully work more on it after work. The teeth redesign Im leaving till the weekend. Will run some concepts than. If anybody has any pics to anything they think would look cool through em up please.
Attached Images

FrZnChAoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 AM   #47
Agent-X

Send a message via AIM to Agent-X Send a message via MSN to Agent-X Send a message via Yahoo to Agent-X
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
I have monsters on my site, maybe something in there you like as far as teeth go. I think the general idea is to have some gums and teeth that are sharp like fangs.
http://www.johninman3d.com/images/Al...monTest001.JPG
http://www.johninman3d.com/images/Al...yFrontShot.JPG
Old 10-04-2009, 05:12 AM   #48
FrZnChAoS
Shaolin Renderer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge - SMC #49 Fly The Friendly Skies 
Agent-X: thanks for that, ill check it out for some inspiration.

heres a update. pretty much had to readjust the other elements of the character to fit the new body shape. roughed in some design on the garments. Continued to further refine the muscles and what not. Probably sculpt for another week or so before I call the quits and move on to texturing...
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #49
FrZnChAoS
Shaolin Renderer

Awards Showcase
heres some teeth designs i came up with. please vote on what you like best.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #50
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
5 and 3
Old 12-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #51
capitan_popo
3d junkie

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
Total Awards: 1
The place were the legs join is looking a bit ufunky, muscle just dont bend that way, putting up a picture as an example to help ya!

also the muscles are looking a bit lumpy and are not "together" they look as if they were separated, but muscles are interlocked between each other somehow, the go into each other and twist around each other.

as for the teeth would go with 5, but dont make them symmetrical give them some asmmetry, would make them look cool and more natural
Attached Images

Last edited by capitan_popo; 12-04-2009 at 09:47 PM..
capitan_popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #52
capitan_popo
3d junkie

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
Total Awards: 1
the mouth shape needs some reworking as well, putting up a picture for you to reference from as well, the upper lip overlaps on the lower lip on the sides of the mouth, also, the mouth is not as round as you have it, its more oval shaped, and not as "smooth", hope that helps
: dance::d ance:
Attached Images

Old 13-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #53
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
captain popo has good refs and advice.
also here is a paint over for the face and the teeths to guide u in teh rigth direction.
notice how i fixed the heavy eyebrows u made, the eyes are a bit bigger, the chin is not so flat and big, some pretty horns to go on them the jaw structure is shaped 'V' rather than a 'U'
hope that helps.
Attached Images

ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 03:10 AM   #54
FrZnChAoS
Shaolin Renderer

Awards Showcase
Appreciate the help guys with the head/teeth suggestions. One thing thats making this a bit difficult to judge is Im trying to model the face in the final pose that I want it.

I cant rig a face to save my life, so I figured it was easier to model it very expressive. I dont know if anyone else has these issues. Cause the expression im trying to capture is him kinda showing his teeth with a intimidating grin... Ill go back to the drawing board on this and explore the possibilities while looking at some refs and ill look at the one point on the reverse joint leg.

Thanks everybody.
Old 29-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #55
FrZnChAoS
Shaolin Renderer

Awards Showcase
Havent posted in awhile. Faced a couple huge hurdles trying to get this project moving. Unfortunately it costed me having to really change my geometry on my low poly mesh to match my sculpt. Since for some reason my lowest sub lvl was at 25k triangles.

At first I thought I could manually reduce by just welding verts. After spending 3 days I found the task to daunting. Ultimately I found having to export the high poly out and almost using it as a modeling cage was my only oppurtunity to try and finish. Was trying to find a easy tutorial on the retopology tool in zbrush and couldnt really wrap my head around it.

I learned a better workflow was probably the only positive thing about the last week or so...

Anyways, heres a throw up of the model with the normal map applied. Will have to haul ass texture/rig/pose and create a pedestal... 12 days to go...
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #56
FrZnChAoS
Shaolin Renderer

Awards Showcase
Still hammering away at the texture. Heres a quick render for where im at. Started to play with poses to. Trying to fix the issues coming up from the wings and the feet...
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2009, 03:13 AM   #57
FrZnChAoS
Shaolin Renderer

Awards Showcase
small update, still playing with the contrast and saturation of my texture and adding less noticeable details...
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2009, 03:27 AM   #58
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: George Lucas, 3rd place speed sculpting #14 Celebrity Caricature The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Runner Hybrid, 2nd place speed sculpting #17 Biomechanical Hybrid Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
I don't want to say anything to discourage you, because i think the details you're putting into the texture are great, especially that blue part on the chest. But those colors are so garrish that they're distracting from all the work you put into the modeling. It looked better in the brown render a couple posts up there.

Try starting with whatever you had as a base in that image, and then adding your colors in a transparent layer above that, at something low like 40%. Then go in and paint in some more saturated details where they're needed, not over the whole thing.

Try to use high saturated colors only as a tool to draw the viewers eye to a particular detail.
H2olt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #59
McKronic
Lighter/Compositor

Send a message via MSN to McKronic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the Low-Poly Challenge #28B - Vehicle 
I agree with H2olt, you also have way too much black especially on the face, the face is the focal point of your character it gives it all the personality and it's hidden right now, I also feel your losing a lot of detail there is not that much contrast between lights and darks a lot of his body looks so smooth when I can see your trying to achieve texture. I would also maybe tone down the veins on the wings a bit maybe... I would start with that though and post some new renders when you can.

2009 Demo on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QaxYcy6VBI
McKronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #60
FrZnChAoS
Shaolin Renderer

Awards Showcase
I decided to submit my final images for the contest. Little burnt out from working on the same piece for 2 months, though Im happy with the end result. Thanks to everybody who gave words of advice. Hopefully next year I can do a more creative/complex concept.

Good luck to everybody else trying to get there entry finished.
Attached Images