>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Weekly Photo Modelling challenge

Old 11-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #16
SnakeHipsUK

Thanks CG that sounds like a lot of fun and im pretty gutted ive missed out on the Jurassic park theme loved the whole idea of that first film.

I will be taking part in the next one for sure.

Thanks

SnakeHips
SnakeHipsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #17
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 11
I was about to start working on this one, when i noticed that the reference images seemed to be from a few diffrent backpacks. And after some research I found it to be the following bags.
http://www.coteetciel.com/en-US/isar-rucksack-grey
http://www.coteetciel.com/en-SE/flat-backpack-black
http://www.coteetciel.com/en-SE/vertical-tote-black
And of course this challenge's subject http://www.coteetciel.com/en-US/meuse-backpack-black

Which bag would be the correct one for this challenge? I guess it's the Meuse, but I felt it was better to ask.
ClassicGamer-3DT (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Ooops my bad, let's go for the Meuse yeah if that seems any easier.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #19
SnakeHipsUK

Hi All,

Ive just uploaded these couple of quick renders with all the "extras" I added to my previous model removed, I suppose these look closer to the reference images but for me they are less interesting to look at but I suppose its not complete yet.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

SnakeHips
Attached Images

Last edited by SnakeHipsUK; 12-01-2014 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: missing words
Old 13-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
TheBat

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place For PMC 26 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place For PMC 27 Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place In PMC #28 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Speed Demons'' 
Total Awards: 4
Ok, so a little bit late to the party, but i made a start as well. I know, just a blockout, but to show that i'm about to participate on this one as well!

Interested to see if the standard blockout and refine technique will work as well, but i suppose this will be a hard one for me.

ClassicGamer-3DT

I really appreciate the time being taken to prepare for this challenges, and i will try to keep some more at it, if time allows. I refined the work i did on the previous challenge, i will post 2 screenshots over there just to show that these challenges really work.
Attached Images

TheBat is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatTheBat! Thank you:
ClassicGamer-3DT (13-01-2014)
Old 13-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #21
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
TheBat - a solid start thank you for those kind words, they are appreciated..... i do sometimes wonder if my hard work is pointless when not many enter, but there's always other factors and life has it's ways of disrupting things all the time
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #22
peri
Delusions of Adequacy

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place in PMC #33 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #31 Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place In PMC #29 
Total Awards: 3
I'd just like to echo the sentiment that these challenges are really, really appreciated.

I know I don't post in many - sometimes the subject is out of my league, sometimes I dont finish, and sometimes I dont consider my work good enough to make public - but I look forward to them non the less.

The few challenges I've finished have taught me a hell of a lot - and for that alone I'm really grateful
peri is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatperi! Thank you:
ClassicGamer-3DT (14-01-2014)
Old 14-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #23
TheBat

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place For PMC 26 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place For PMC 27 Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place In PMC #28 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Speed Demons'' 
So, Good morning!

Did some more work on the backpack, fleshing out quite nicely so far.

When i was starting on the backpack and looking through the reference i was already wondering how this different images all connected to become the same bag. Glad to see it was multiple different bags in the same collection.
Attached Images

Old 14-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #24
SnakeHipsUK

I think these challenges are great for 2 main reasons, firstly it can be difficult to motivate yourself sometimes to come up with an idea of what to model and then to collect reference images, doing it this way allows you to just get on and model which when your learning is all you should be doing.

Secondly its great that everybody comes together and we all look at each others work and see how people do things differently it creates a structured approach, so CG your effort to put these challenges on is very much appreciated.

theBat nice model, Im looking forward to how it comes out.

kind regards

SnakeHips
Great SnakeHipsUK! For Thanks for2:
ClassicGamer-3DT (14-01-2014), TheBat (14-01-2014)
Old 14-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #25
SnakeHipsUK

Just some small additions and tried to tidy up model a little, its still not going to be a perfect match for the references, but im enjoying myself lol.

Thanks

SnakeHips
Attached Images

Old 14-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #26
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
I was planning to do a military backpack or messenger bag this week - looking good so far lads keep it up - added details later on will bump the model a lot.
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #27
SnakeHipsUK

Hi Rocneasta,

Would love to see a arctic military style backpack with all the gear on it like skis and a sniper rifle, that would be very cool.

good luck with it.

theBat: are you going to texture yours? if so which technique you going to use?

thanks

SnakeHips
Old 14-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #28
TheBat

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeHipsUK View Post
Hi Rocneasta,
theBat: are you going to texture yours? if so which technique you going to use?
SnakeHips
First things first . Gonna try and see how far we can take the model before deciding on the coloursystem. I did find some different bags with a brown-orange like colour scheme which looked pretty nice!

Considering technique, it will probably just be a procedural Vray texture. The first goal was to get the modelling back up to speed, so also with that, first things first .
Old 15-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #29
SnakeHipsUK

yeah agreed im going to try and take the modelling further, im not the strongest at texturing so just trying to get an idea of how everyone else would go about it
Old 15-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #30
TheBat

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeHipsUK View Post
yeah agreed im going to try and take the modelling further, im not the strongest at texturing so just trying to get an idea of how everyone else would go about it
Probably i would otherwise unwrap it, bake some maps and then do some adjustments in photoshop!

I did some more work on the bag tonight. As i expected, the straps turned out to be the hardest part. They turned out pretty ok for now, will need some more work later.

Any suggestions on getting some 'natural looking' deformation on those straps? Right now i just used the same poly modeling technique as always, but was wondering if anybody had different suggestions? Like maybe use a spline to extrude it from, or use some lofting technique? Looking forward to hear some experiences. Thanks in advance, hope to do some more working on it tomorrow.

Oh and sorry for the wireframe, max is bugging me a bit.
Attached Images