>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 19-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Xeon_Ond

Thumbs up C4D for character modeling?

Hi all,

I've googled on this topic for some time but can't seem to find any insight.

Can C4D achieve realistic character models like the following?
http://dxthpu4318olx.cloudfront.net/...jpg?1397826292
http://dxthpu4318olx.cloudfront.net/...jpg?1397664624

So far, all the reels and demos and tuts I've seen show people using C4D for hard-surfaced objects like cars and props etc, while the character ones are scarce.

I know zbrush / mudbox is probably more suited to the task, but the idea of sculpting in the computer feels awkward to me. C4D seems pretty intuitive and less confusing than Maya, Blender and 3DSMax, so I thought I would start with this.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are with regards to using C4D for modeling characters.
Xeon_Ond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 11
I haven't been using C4D myself, but as far as i know their modelling tools are very competent, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do it.

The models here https://secure.axyz-design.com/produ...sons-cinema-4d are in .c4d format so my guess is that they are made with Cinama 4D and they do look pretty good. (They are also in max format, so they might be from either one of those.)

There may be tools more suited for character modelling, but im sure you would be able to make some good character work in C4D aswell.

Last edited by MStandar; 19-04-2014 at 11:26 AM..
MStandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Of course you can. As long as there is basic modeling tools you can create whatever you want, the only limit being your own skill.

Creating convincing characters is probably one of the most difficult things there is but essentially you can do it in any software. ClassicGamer-3DT is a moderator here, he uses C4D to do all sorts of awesome stuff. I have also used it a bit myself but I am not nearly as advanced as he is. Yet I can confirm that all the tools you need to create a character are there.
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
Xeon_Ond

Tks guys!

@ NightJake: Great to hear that, cos' from what I've seen through google, seems that the human models created with c4d all look like they came out of a hobbyist 3d software like Poser or Daz Studio.

When I google words like "3ds max character model", I see all kinds of solid looking character models but when I do the same for c4d, the models I see are ummm.....LOL
https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=3...model&tbm=isch

Or maybe it's just because the pros prefer using 3Dsmax that's why we don't see any jaw-dropping character models from the c4d.
Xeon_Ond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
C4D's strongest point is in motion graphics so that is what people mainly use it for. Character artists mainly use Max/Maya because they have tons of plugins that make life easier when trying to create a human for example.

However if you want to get serious with character modeling you are going to have to get acquainted with sculpting sooner or later.
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Send a message via MSN to TekNeek
The theories and techniques behind modelling doesn't change between programs, so technically there's no reason to not use it.

And the latest version of C4D was very impressive, do even though I myself would personally not use C4D for extensive modelling, I've seen some really impressive stuff made with Cinema and forum members here use it extensively.
If you prefer the tools, then there's no reason to start learning another program. Build a porftolio with the tools you know before you begin studying other. Since there really isn't a "best" program.

--Showreel--
TekNeek is offline   Reply With Quote