>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 03-04-2004, 07:01 AM   #16
L10N
aka Kriv

Send a message via MSN to L10N
hey 3DT guys, have you ever thought about making a massive DVD with at least 3 of your CDs in it?
Old 07-04-2004, 01:24 AM   #17
Psistorm

Quote:
Originally posted by bullethead
I cant really think of anything else to add to this. I mean cgstripe just hit it on the money with all of his ideas on what I would want on this texture and the things he didnt mention other people have as well. I cant wait till this is released cause I will definatly buy it in a heart beat.
the same goes for me, I can really use this cd

and @ nalhcal:
thx for brandsoftheworld.com, I found some mclaren logo stuff for my current project! \o/
Psistorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #18
punxva

Send a message via AIM to punxva
Maybe some Engine conponents , like the rest have said, basic car parts lol. Wait idea, maybe some nice hires pics to composite into, or some scenes that have been modeled to render your cars in. thats my input
Old 08-04-2004, 06:02 PM   #19
novoAlias
Found snow.

Send a message via MSN to novoAlias
hmm couple of ideas (not to sure if anyone mentioned them)

a link page (aka my blueprint thread ) so people can find resources

maybe a number of high res blueprints/orthographic car views (many as possible ). and yea maybe engine components (images?models?) and stuff so we n00bs can learn to model all that stuff we cant see in the ref fotos [yep thats been mentioned already]
,,`,,`,,

http://forums.3dtotal.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=726&dateline=11981294  96

Last edited by novoAlias; 08-04-2004 at 06:06 PM..
novoAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:40 PM   #20
asfalton

military masking maps maybe ?

(sorry for my english)

<- I'm a little bit tired heh
Old 14-04-2004, 08:04 PM   #21
Daniel

some shaders for Maya users would be good too. I've bought 2 of the cd's and I can't use the Max shaders

-Achilles

"It is better by noble boldness to run the risk of being subject to half the evils we anticipate than to remain in cowardly listlessness for fear of what might happen."
-Herodotus
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 07:19 AM   #22
Drolith

Send a message via MSN to Drolith
Thumbs up

I am very....very new to 3d modeling. I'm using 3ds max 4 and my first project was a Mazda RX-7...me being a newb I managed to get the body done but from there I was stumped anyway this CD would help me out alot cause my material making skills are...0 and rendering are 0 so I would gladly buy this CD whenever it gets made.

my unfinished first project *rendered in Brice 5 due to no skills in rendering with 3ds max*

http://rhinorc.no-ip.com/drolith/Mazda.jpg
Drolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2004, 03:34 AM   #23
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Im thinking, maybe a lighting tutorial to improve people srendering techiniques when it comes to cars cause right noe i have heard lots of peple who are stumped about what techniquie should be used.

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2004, 04:18 AM   #24
jamesaevans

What a great idea for a CD, especially given that cars are one of the most popular and difficult subjects to model.

For me there are really two areas where the CD contents would be very useful:

Modelling
1) A full step by step tutorial of building a model from blueprints through to final rendered image (e.g. Karabocentral Fiat 500, Munkmotion NSX) I know these tutorials are already available on the web and there may be copyright issues but having a couple of really good full tutorials on the CD would be great, especially for beginners

2) Tutorials on specific car parts e.g. Wheels, Tyres and Head Lights

3) Web links to other resources e.g. Tutorials, Blueprints and Models

4) A gallery of car models showing clay and wire frames both high poly and low poly
- I find looking at how other people have constructed their mesh very useful in improving my own modelling

5) You could also include the 10 best car modelling threads from Threedy.com showing how the modelling progressed

Rendering
1) The most useful resource for me would be a simple sample scene containing a car with materials/texturing applied, lighting set up and camera positioned
- Firstly this would enable users to see what there software is capable of rendering and to understand how to construct and light a scene
- It would be great to have the same scene available for all major platforms e.g. Max, Maya, Lightwave etc
- Idealy the scene should also have versions for the default render e.g. Max Scanline and 3rd party ones e.g. Brazil, Vray etc

2) A gallery of rendered car images showing what can be achieved with current software

3) A number of sample materials (inc metallic paint, glass, rubber tyres, chrome for wheels and trim) together with tutorials/sample scenes showing how to apply them

4) A number of background images e.g. showroom, carpark, racetrack etc
Bentley Speed 8
Lamborghini Gallardo (Low Poly)
jamesaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2004, 03:38 PM   #25
JHarford
Director@Airship

Send a message via MSN to JHarford
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Female thread up on plug bar The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My skateboard model was featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Whipslash bane featured on top row The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Rick whipslash bane was on the top row of the forums The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Posting a video in the Sculpting thread 
Total Awards: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesaevans
What a great idea for a CD, especially given that cars are one of the most popular and difficult subjects to model.

For me there are really two areas where the CD contents would be very useful:

Modelling
1) A full step by step tutorial of building a model from blueprints through to final rendered image (e.g. Karabocentral Fiat 500, Munkmotion NSX) I know these tutorials are already available on the web and there may be copyright issues but having a couple of really good full tutorials on the CD would be great, especially for beginners

2) Tutorials on specific car parts e.g. Wheels, Tyres and Head Lights

3) Web links to other resources e.g. Tutorials, Blueprints and Models

4) A gallery of car models showing clay and wire frames both high poly and low poly
- I find looking at how other people have constructed their mesh very useful in improving my own modelling

5) You could also include the 10 best car modelling threads from Threedy.com showing how the modelling progressed

Rendering
1) The most useful resource for me would be a simple sample scene containing a car with materials/texturing applied, lighting set up and camera positioned
- Firstly this would enable users to see what there software is capable of rendering and to understand how to construct and light a scene
- It would be great to have the same scene available for all major platforms e.g. Max, Maya, Lightwave etc
- Idealy the scene should also have versions for the default render e.g. Max Scanline and 3rd party ones e.g. Brazil, Vray etc

2) A gallery of rendered car images showing what can be achieved with current software

3) A number of sample materials (inc metallic paint, glass, rubber tyres, chrome for wheels and trim) together with tutorials/sample scenes showing how to apply them

4) A number of background images e.g. showroom, carpark, racetrack etc
so basically shedloads of tutorials would add a lot to the cd.
if your after an sample car models for the cd ill gladly give my last couple of cars and rims for a small modedl bank if you play on that,
i think everythign has now been mentioned and the cd should be great, it will sell very very well.
thanks 3dt
JHarford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:17 PM   #26
DarkChilde

Send a message via ICQ to DarkChilde
one thing that I would find interesting would be damage maps. Maybe some additional bump and displacement maps for fender damage, maybe some bulletholes for both windows and body . . . and a big spiderweb for the windshield . . . just in case somebody were to make some car crashes or machine gun damage. . .

how about multiple maps for exhaust? A few really good .avi files should cover that.

just some thoughts.

Last edited by DarkChilde; 03-05-2004 at 06:20 PM..
DarkChilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:45 AM   #27
gordont

Thumbs up

Hi Crisp-3DT
I fully agree with our fellow 3D members who have posted their comments.. they have mentioned it all.If I may suggest,why don`t you have a how to do/make your own texture using.....
which can be used with or imported into the (various packages..
max rhino;blender;lightwave;maya etc ) and also have a tutorial on how to apply this texture in various scenes/views eg:top, side, front, perspective or on to various objects .Also to add perhaps for cars, is how to make your own decals and apply them
Great site
Cheers
Gordont
gordont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2004, 06:16 AM   #28
SupaCharged

Plese make it usable for all of us MAYA users!!!!!!!!
Old 28-05-2004, 08:23 PM   #29
cgvideos

Send a message via MSN to cgvideos
instead of just normal readable tutorials, how about video tutorials, of someone actually making the car in whatever program and commentating on everything they do. This is the best way of learning, as you can see where all of the features of the program are and how to properly use them.
Old 22-06-2004, 11:27 AM   #30
Tunner

Ok i was thinking of some things and this is what i came up with.

1. Some materials for car windows and mirrors.
2. lots of neat decals, mayb some from the fnf or 2f2f.
3. tier thred bumps and mayb tier materials.
4. Car lights materials such as chromy stuff, lots of people have hard time getting those just right.
5. Rim materials such as chrome and so on.
6.neon light materials (If you need help on that i can teach you)
7.Interior leathers (such as sport leathers and regualr leathers)
8. Maybe some carbon fiber materials (for the hood or anywhere else)
9. Maybe some materials of gauges, subs, amps, and so on.
10. And maybe a nos texture because those are very hard to get.
11. Lots of env maps.
12. Maybe some env sceans instead of just background pictures.
13. Maybe you can setup a great render so people put there cars in it and render from there.

---Mayb also you can make a special threedy or 3dtotal car like stock and tuned and use those materials and textures on it---

P.S sorry if some of these are already been told havent rilly looked at what people said.

Last edited by Tunner; 22-06-2004 at 11:30 AM..
Tunner is offline   Reply With Quote