>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 05-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #16
Kingcolin
Prutser

More submissions are allowed or just one?

Personal Website
Kingcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
stephendm
That's me!

Hey Suirebit! Congrats on the new job!

This mattepainting jazz is a seriously cool addition to the forums!!

Tell me though - Is creating and updating a wip thread compulsory or can we just post a final image?

The reason I ask is that I'm horribly busy at the moment but I would hope to find some time enter the challenge.....I'd say it will be a last minute thing though when I get to work on an image...and that obviously would mean no wip!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #18
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Thanks no, it's just optional...if you feel like having some feedback
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #19
Orkron
Modelrater!

Send a message via AIM to Orkron
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I have, what feels like a silly question:
What specifically is a matte painting? I see a lot of these are utilizing 3d and hdri maps and digital painting... Is that what it is really? An ensemble of different types of art put together?

I may be interested in giving this a go, but want to know what tools I can utilize before I get started. Thanks for an answer =)

Quote from Wikipedia:
"Matte paintings are used to create "virtual sets" and "digital backlots". They can be used to create entire new sets, or to extend portions of an existing set. Traditional matte painting is done optically, by painting on top of a piece of glass to be composited with the original footage. However this trick is as old, as Film itself.(ca.1911) They were painted on glass plates, earlier also named glasshot. This was how it worked. Two plates of glass are set up parallel to each other at a certain distance. The camera is set up in front of them. On the rear plate, there is a background landscape which is relatively rough, for example a painted Jungle. On the foreground plate, detail-rich elements are painted such as small plants, stones etc. Between the glass plates, one could then encourage a puppet in stop-motion. Nowadays, matte painting is done in computers with the use of a tablet as a drawing device. In a digital environment, matte paintings can also be done in a 3-D environment, allowing for 3-D camera movements."

So can I combine multiple elements to form my compilation? And if so, what is and is not allowed?

Download hdri maps at Orkron.com
Follow me on Twitter @Orkron

Last edited by Orkron; 12-09-2007 at 03:30 PM..
Orkron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Short answer - you can use a combination of 3d, painting or photomanip (whatever you're good at) as long as the result is photorealistic (that's the keyword); you'll have to trick our eye and make us believe we're looking at a photo There is no restriction in tools, really...your only goal is the one stated above + our theme and we also require that no single element should represent more than 40% of the image (that is you can't merge two photos and say you made a matte painting)

Last edited by Suirebit-3DT; 13-09-2007 at 11:48 AM..
Old 13-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #21
Orkron
Modelrater!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suirebit-3DT View Post
Short answer - you can use a combination of 3d, painting or photomanip (whatever you're good at) as long as the result is photorealistic (that's the keyword); you'll have to trick our eye and make us believe we're looking at a photo There is no restriction in tools, really...your only goal is the one stated above + our theme and we also require that no single element should represent more than 40% of the image (that is you can't merge two photos and say you made a matte painting)
Suirebit-3DT, thank you - great answer. I completely understand now. I will definitely try to set some time aside for this one this weekend.

p.s. Are there any prizes with this competition like there are with the others?

Old 13-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #22
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
of course, very good ones actually read here: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=53531
Old 13-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #23
Orkron
Modelrater!

Awards Showcase
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the quick response

Old 14-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #24
mqpska

I would like to enter this challenge !!. I think that I will learn many things more. I hope to do it well.
mqpska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #25
BySilent

Where do you post your final project?
BySilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #26
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
here http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=53966

Last edited by Suirebit-3DT; 21-09-2007 at 11:23 AM..
Old 21-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #27
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
About 9 days left, time to finish those details, add that extra touch and submit before the deadline comes
Old 23-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #28
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
I really hope that ppls will finish their works cause I really want to see some nice images

Can't wait to see the final entries.

hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #29
Nik

Send a message via ICQ to Nik
Hi
Just one question: Lake/Island means that I can choose to include in my project a lake OR an island? :-)
Old 28-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #30
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
and/or, no exclusion but hurry up