>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 15-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
function

DWIV - 3D - function - Untitled

Thought I'll give it a shot, don't know how far I'm gonna get though.

I'll probably hop the bandwagon and do demons, and my first thought was gemini style demon children with a pet abomination. But working with three characters is probably pushing it...

Sketches to come later today I guess. Cheers, everyone.
function is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
function

Here's a quick paint of my first idea, though I'm sure I'm going to go a different route.

Old 16-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Sharper teeth and a more serrated Gum Line, ie, distort it heavily so it looks like that bitch of a demon flossed with Daddy Dooms Guitar

I like the colors but more threedy blue on the chick

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
spartan118
Lookn 4 professional work

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Question: Where's the 2d thread for this war. Are we all useing this same thread or am i just missing somthing
spartan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
spartan118
Lookn 4 professional work

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
oOoops, Sorry function I have no idea how i got to this thread! thats an intrusting painting though, looks like your getting a good start there.
spartan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
I kinda like it, especially if the abomination's eyes are sewn shut with the reigns[?], that's especially creepy.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 05:28 AM   #7
function

Not much of an update here. Took Sathe's advice; stole Doom's bass strings and gave it to the abomination, changed the red horn/claws to blue. But with the teeth I'll probably end up making them a bit thicker and less evenly spaced vertically on the gums. Then I'll probably add some threedy themed hard armor on the chicks.

I'm still wondering about having three characters though, more characters mean less polys for each of 'em. And also because I'd have two demon princesses as well as an abomination... I hope that's allowed. If not, then I think I'll stick with the abomination.

Any thoughts?
I'm going to sleep. Damn early classes.
Old 23-03-2009, 03:18 AM   #8
function

Ok, so my earlier concept is out of the question, I've decided to stick with one demon princess with pretty ice/cold powers. Here's a quick sketch:

Haven't had much time to work on my entry, I still have a week left before my spring break starts and I've pretty much done all I can to shoot myself in the foot this term.
Old 23-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #9
khemist000

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I like the ice princess, but I say go for her mount-creature. Looks like it would be more fun than a standard humanoid character. Unless of course you REALLY explore the dragon head shoulder pad thing. If you made it massive and maybe a symbiotic part of her, it could be interesting. Good stuff either way.
khemist000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
it would be cool if the dragon became a part of her; sorta wrapped around her waist or something like that - also might fit in with the icey protrusion design you have going.
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #11
function

khemist000: I don't think I can add the mount, because I'd consider that as an abomination and in the brief it says no combinations allowed. But I have been thinking of the dragon being partly alive and growing out of her back.

Joseph Pomeisl: Yeah, I'll probably have the dragon coming out of her back; maybe have some stunted wings apparent too. :O I could add a tail!

Moved the horn to her right side too, so she can actually look to her left. ^^

Last edited by function; 23-03-2009 at 06:07 AM..
Old 23-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
function

Added some rough colors, also a very rough depiction of how the dragon comes out of her back.

Old 23-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
miycko
Draw Untill It Hurts!

Location: Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge 
Looks good, why don't you make the horn on her head ice as well? it's odd for it to have a different colour and not sure if you're planning on placing the 3DT logo on her chest or on the clothes, but the clothes seem a better choice to me. Ice dragons are so "cool"
Old 24-03-2009, 05:45 AM   #14
function

miycko: Aha. I dunno why the horn is a shade different.

Moved the logo onto the clothes. Added some headgear. Also lighted the skin and the hair to better match with the whole cold theme. IMO, it still looks really boring, but whatever. Gotta keep moving while I'm still motivated to do so.

Old 25-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #15
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
That's a really cool idea man; having the dragon form out of her is pretty damn unique if you ask me. I think you could push the sorta symbiotic relationship between them a little harder though; have her skin sort of transition to ice scales in some places besides her arms, maybe give her ice dragon feet or something. But what you have now is very cool and has really nice colors. The legs though are definitely lacking a bit; the balance between dragon and ice demon princess is like 50/50 above the waist, but 0/100 below...

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote