>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 25-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
function

VinsanityV20: I'll probably end up changing the outfit. Especially the back because that is completely impractical for the dragon. But I don't want to push the dragon part too far, because the ice dragon (ice dragon construct even?) is simply a supplement to the powers the demoness already has. It's more of a mutualism or commensalism type of a relationship.
I do agree the legs need something more though.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #17
function

Small update, haven't been able to do much because I'm in a bitter war against my computer.

Just started a generic mesh in zbrush.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 AM   #18
function

Amusingly enough, my laptop has more viruses than a hard working hooker, which resulted in everything being lost. Yay!

Started sculpting...

Took the time to also change the armor concept a bit, so there's more interaction with the ice construct coming out of her back.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #19
function

I've started rebuilding the model. Not gonna show the topology yet because, quite frankly, it's terrible.

Did a quick mock up to show a different costume.

I'd really appreciate any kind of feedback.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:43 AM   #20
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
the overall look and idea you have is great, but a few things I woud look into are:

using metal anywhere on the character. The reason for this is because your character is a demon covered in ice. I would focus on that, make whatever you want metal, ice instead.

The tail, I would lower it so that it look as if it is coming out of the end of the spine, instead of popping out of the middle of the back. Also, making it longer couldn't hurt.

as for the computer trouble your having, look into a program called malewarebytes. It kills any and everything I've come across. They have a free version that is just as good as the pay version.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #21
miycko
Draw Untill It Hurts!

Location: Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 2
Sorry to hear about the loss, had the same issue during the mini challenge. So i wiped my Hard Drive Clean and started afresh. I'm very carefull with flash disks now, scan them every time i connect one. Havent had a problem since.

Your model's looking good so far. I'm not sure why you don't like her original costume but i like it, grace us with a drawing of the new one so we can make a choice.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
I can sympathize over crashing hardware, I've lost a good number hours in this war already....but war isn't supposed to be a walk in the park anyways.

Like the early zbrush stuff so far. Not quite sure what to make of the costume paintover, it's a little tough to tell what's going on. Maybe try to block out a low poly quickly, see how the forms are relating.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #23
function

Yeah, the paintover was messy, and my tablet was lagging so it was difficult to do anything (and I was too lazy to restart).
The reason why I wanted to change the costume was because I felt like it needed more interaction with the ice dragon thingy. Maybe I'll keep the original costume and just ice it over a little.

I'll try updating tomorrow or Saturday, school is driving me insane.
Old 13-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #24
function

Guess I started to try doing a low-poly of the head. I dunno, I've tried doing it a few times already but I'm still not happy with the flow/number of polys.
Never really tried doing anything low poly before, what's a general number of polys to use in a head?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #25
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
The low poly flow for the head looks just about right for me. If you've never done a low poly head before, that one certainly doesn't look like it's your first. There's still some...ugliness to the poly flow in some areas - that might be causing the problems you're citing that are making you unhappy. Areas like this:

could definitely be smoother in their flow. If you can't do it manually, than there are tools you can use to align things. I don't know what you're using - and if you've stated before in the thread, my bad - but in Max you can find these tools under 'Edit Geometry":

It could help, but ultimately, you just gotta arrange your verts in a smoother line. Doesn't look bad though, not bad at all

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote