>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge

Old 05-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
New Comp Ideas

Ok, start tossing out ideas.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Ideas:
"Tribes of Old"
"Nightmares"
"The New Breed"
"Twist of Time"
"Neo Human"

More will be added through editing as I come up with them...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813

Last edited by hulahuga; 09-08-2011 at 05:56 AM..
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
"Forgotten Realm"
"Divine Sacrifice"

Just some things that popped into my mind. From the previous comment, I really like "Nightmares". That opens a great deal of creativity. Well done hulahuga!
MemoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatMemoNick! Thank you:
hulahuga (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
"Outer space"
"Sky High" All kind of flying stuff which could turn into creating innovative racers to replace Red Bull planes in year.. let's say 2050... :P

There are also cool novel series which could inspire comps aswell, like the recently TV approach to Game of Thrones or a less known Aquasilva.

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
"whos the boss" - we would have to make a boss for a game
"big guns" - something with lots of fire power
"steam punk marines" - steam punk battle units
"old strategy game unit redesign" - we all remember old games like warcraft, starcraft, dune, red alert... and there were tons of cool units

Last edited by paulius-st; 05-08-2011 at 12:20 PM..
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
terry1337

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
ideas

"your worst nightmare"
"remake old 8bit game character"
"experiment gone wrong"
"darkness"
terry1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Terry - Can't both your worst nightmare and darkness be done with "nightmares"?
I like your ideas though

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Tribal Leader
Tribal Warrior
Old West Sci-fi
Mounted Warrior
lampshadehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
An Environment centric competition. Almost every competition out there at the moment (and most times) are character art competitions, or briefs that allow characters. Whatever happened to vehicles and environments?

I don't mind the theme, I'd just like to see a competition, where I don't have to do a character, as they're far less interesting to me than a good environment.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
Imajus

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
I agree with Prime, however I do environment art all day and like to do characters in my free time. Maybe we could do a contest where you can incorporate character, environment, or both. Kind of like what Polycount did with brawl.
Imajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
I can't promise that I will participate in a comp (in fact chances are better that I won't) but I would LOVE to see a proper LOW poly challenge. No next-gen stuff. Whatever the theme, I would like the see small dioramas made from say <1500 triangles and 512 texture space, split up however.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
I appreciate that you want a low poly challenge. But I think that we should at least play to next gen ideals if it's a game art comp. I'd go as far as to say that you're talking about last gen/mobile games tech. Direct X 11 is the new next-gen in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
Imajus

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Low poly would be cool too I can get down with that.
Imajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
I just want something different to be honest, that isn't characters, and isn't low poly. When you work in the games industry, poly count isn't as anal as people may think. It's all about your use of textures.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
terry1337

Awards Showcase
textures

only hand paint no normal or spec :P
terry1337 is offline   Reply With Quote