>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge

Old 07-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #31
tongeert

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I like the idea of BiG ToE and SnappedStrings both.
tongeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #32
silverflame

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: game art Weapon Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in smc 55 - On your marks Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #76 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in smc 52 - take a closer look Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 17
+1 for rts as well.

Surprised the usual ideas of 'fusion characters', 'gender bender', 'character styled from a different game' and 'samurai' haven't been thrown out.

Portfolio Website

Coroflot Profile
silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
@silverflame, good suggestions :P
MemoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #34
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
+1 for RTS
Medieval, WW2, modern tanks, spaceships... there is plenty of themes.

RTS could work with team too => one'll make low poly vehicules, another one'll make air/spaceship, another one'll make buildings, another one can make human units... OR melee/range/support.

RTS'll also work with Big-Toe's idea (start of a story), we make the design from it, we invent the style/world from it.

(Like chibi idea from poopipe too.)

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #35
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
good idea washka. a chibi style rts game "world of threedy craft" or just "threedy craft"
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #36
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
With beavers?

Seems those've been admitted by hight standards now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttv-gvOzaPw

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!

Last edited by washka; 08-08-2011 at 07:34 AM..
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #37
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
RTS would be cool if it's three low(er) poly models; light, medium and heavy classes or on foot, mounted/vehicle, in flight for example

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #38
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
Not a fan of chibi style, but RTS sounds good

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #39
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase

Why do all suggestions seem to be either - A stylized character, or super low poly?

How many people here actually work in the games industry? I am genuinely interested. The reason I ask is because people seem to want to do things for the wrong reasons, and don't seem to understand the way the industry works.

Low poly, is a massive misunderstanding. The real killer, is texture space. I've tried to reiterate this across the forums in time, but nobody seems to listen. Take the last comp (chess) you were given 15000tris, which is normal, and then multiple 2048 maps, and any render engine. This is not the way it is done. The restrictions would be on texture space, more severely than poly count, and how things look in a game engine.

So if you want to do real low poly stuff, you have to reflect this with textures.

And something I've come to notice, is that the standard of texturing around here, is lower than other places.

This is why I keep suggesting an environment based challenge. Most people go into games companies, as environment/prop artists.

If 3DTotal wants to help, then competitions should be centred around building peoples portfolios for the industry. And right now, the most popular job specs you will find, are for next gen environment artists, or 2D GUI artists.

Also, I suggest people take a look at the standard of the characters in the last comp, it was again, not good. This is due to the fact that characters can be "cool with axes and skulls and laser guns" but if you want in to the industry, make sure you can do a barrel.

I await the flames with joy
Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #40
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Agreed with Cuban. Maybe make chibi an option, but def not a requirement :-P

Quote:
I await the flames with joy
Trolling?

Portfolio

Last edited by SnappedStrings; 08-08-2011 at 05:18 PM..
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #41
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Haven't you seen his avatar? He is the flame and spark both...

Either way I can actually agree on most things, however I think you should look into the textures of Rage, what you say is coming to an end . You should also listen to the key note speech the technical director gave, it is up on quakecon.com...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #42
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Thanks for your input, The Prime.

What texture size (and types of) texture sheets do you feel would be more realistic for the last comp with the 15k tri model?
lampshadehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #43
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
The Prime: I started learning the process of game art here on this forum, and with its challenges, and I think they work pretty well, because what this kind of specs allows you is: learn to work with "high-res" textures (which also means that making a 512*512 texture wont give you a headache... Or atlest its easier to switch from 2048 to 512 then the other way around ) and also, when I read the specs back when I knew nothing about this stuff, I wondered whats a specular map? Everyone else uses it, and they make cool stuff, so I should too! So I read what it is, and started using it.

All in all, its totally irrelevant what are the specs, by doing 3d, and game art in specific you will get better, and when you get to the point when you need to make a portfolio, you will have to make everything from zero again, and you wont use your 1 year old work.. (thats just my opinion)

So I'm looking forward to the next comp, whatever it will be!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #44
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
The Prime - I do agree with a lot of your argument. For high-end games, textures are the major limiting factor, not geometry. And "all renderers" should not be allowed, it should be limited to actual realtime renders. For me, I like lower-res stuff for purely artistic reasons, not for any practical reasons. It offers a certain set of challenges and allows different styles than are possible with high-end game art.

lampshadehead - I've never worked on a game where the programmers allowed me to use anything bigger than 1024. And even that was often just for the diffuse while the normal map and spec map were 512. Memory is the major limiting factor. As a compressed dds image, a 2048 map with mipmaps and alpha is 5.3mb. If you have a diffuse, spec, and normal map, thats 16mb for textures on one model.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBuzzy! Thank you:
lampshadehead (09-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #45
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
They have 4k in Rage, 8k at times...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote