>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > CG News > Latest Headlines

Old 04-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Allegro
VFX Artist

Send a message via MSN to Allegro
Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Won the Speed Modelling Challenge  
Total Awards: 1
Houdini 11 coming out this summer. Looks fantastic!

Saw this posted elsewhere on the webs and thought I'd repost it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Magee

Kim Davidson introduces Houdini 11 with some exciting new demo videos showing key features. From dynamic fracturing to FLIP fluids to hardware rendering to shading and lighting improvements, there is a little bit for everyone.

At the end of the article is a link to our SIGGRAPH launch event in Los Angeles. Be sure to register if you are interested in joining us as we celebrate the new version with the community.

Check it out here:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...752&Itemid=316
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
What's the learning curve for this software? Is this easy to get to grips with?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Allegro
VFX Artist

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Won the Speed Modelling Challenge  
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymunky View Post
What's the learning curve for this software? Is this easy to get to grips with?
It's hard for me to fairly comment on that because when I learned it, there was a lot less learning material available, and it was an older (less user friendly) version.

In the long run though, now that I've been using both Houdini and Maya for a few years... without a doubt I prefer Houdini to Maya. You have access to practically everything and that is incredibly beneficial in production as there is rarely a time when you can't make the program do what you want. I constantly feel like this emoticon when I'm using Maya though. Which is odd because I remember it seeming so friendly when I was doing the basics.

The Houdini community is a pretty friendly, and helpful one though. And you'll have a pretty easy time finding people to answer your questions if you have them... though I don't think the community tends to be particularly active on 3dtotal... the SESI forums themselves are a great place to ask questions.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Understood, i've seen some good things created with this software. I might have to try it out and have a play with it, could be a new piece of software that would be beneficial to have in my toolset
Old 05-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Heard someone else praising Houdini before as well... Let's see if they have anything similar to a trial...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
I remember trying houdini quite some time ago. I did not quite like the UI and it felt pretty uncomfortable modeling in it but that's what I said about Maya too

I'm gonna check it out for sure.
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
Allegro
VFX Artist

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahuga View Post
Heard someone else praising Houdini before as well... Let's see if they have anything similar to a trial...
They do have a trial version called apprentice: It watermarks stuff (waaaaay less obtrusively than Autodesk did when they had their trial versions) and it doesn't expire. Definitely worth checking out.

They have two non-commercial versions, one called Apprentice that is watermarked and limits your resolution so that you can't go higher than dvd size, the other called Apprentice HD which costs $99US, and is NOT watermarked, and limits your animation resolutions to 1080 (stills are not limited). The only catch is it's not meant for commercial use. But film festivals/student work are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthJake
I remember trying houdini quite some time ago. I did not quite like the UI and it felt pretty uncomfortable modeling in it but that's what I said about Maya too

I'm gonna check it out for sure.
Yeah, the UI used to be pretty ugly in my opinion. But within the past 3 years it's become much prettier. If you check out the options, there's a dark ui which is what most people seem to prefer using, though the default is a brighter grey.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
They also had some feature restrictions on those as well but as I have gathered they were pretty minor...

WIP
Old 06-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Allegro
VFX Artist

Awards Showcase
Quote:
They also had some feature restrictions on those as well but as I have gathered they were pretty minor...
right, I forgot that in the maya learning edition they restricted it to Maya Complete instead of Maya Unlimited

Houdini doesn't limit any features... except I think connecting it to a renderfarm.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Meant that they have limited Houdini... Check the complete list of features, some things are missing as well as the difference between the pro edition of houdini and the artist version...

WIP
Old 06-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Allegro
VFX Artist

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Meant that they have limited Houdini... Check the complete list of features, some things are missing as well as the difference between the pro edition of houdini and the artist version...
Oh. Yeah, the restrictions in apprentice are very minor.

- You can't use Torque to export to games in the free version (you can in the $99 version)
- You can't render over 720 x 576 in the free version (1920x1080 for limit for animation, no limit for stills in the $99 version)
- you cannot connect to a 3rd party renderfarm (houdini now ships with renderfarm software called HQueue that I believe you can use with apprentice)
- you cannot use it for commercial purposes
- small watermark in the free version (not in $99 version)

those are the only restrictions. Houdini doesn't restrict usage of any of the dynamics like fluids like autodesk did with maya
Old 06-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
I am mighty impressed with the hardware rendering in Houdini 11. I think that you need a really good graphics card but still. Pretty darn nice
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegro View Post
Oh. Yeah, the restrictions in apprentice are very minor.

- You can't use Torque to export to games in the free version (you can in the $99 version)
- You can't render over 720 x 576 in the free version (1920x1080 for limit for animation, no limit for stills in the $99 version)
- you cannot connect to a 3rd party renderfarm (houdini now ships with renderfarm software called HQueue that I believe you can use with apprentice)
- you cannot use it for commercial purposes
- small watermark in the free version (not in $99 version)

those are the only restrictions. Houdini doesn't restrict usage of any of the dynamics like fluids like autodesk did with maya
That's really impressive for a trial version of the software.