>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge

Old 20-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
xxxcubanxxx - Battle Chess

Place holder, I'll be making a bishop

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Small start on the body

SKETCHES & WIPs
Old 24-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #3
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
starting to look cool!
Old 25-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the comment dude

Sketched some quick shoes, when with comfy/running shoes since bishops can spring across the board

SKETCHES & WIPs
Old 25-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Nice start. Would like to see more work put into the lips as they look a bit wonky right now. Same goes for the distance between the eyes

KIU!

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Agreed still need to give another look to the face and iron out the kinks

SKETCHES & WIPs
Old 25-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Call him "Bash"
Old 25-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
the stampede

SKETCHES & WIPs
Old 25-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
snakeeaterjns

Nice start. I like the shoes, very cool.

Game art competition - Battle Chess
snakeeaterjns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
I'm having trouble seeing much bishopyness so far if im honest

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
You are totally right, there's nothing bishopy about it yet, I've been thinking of showing more of a funtionality to the character mimicking what a bishop actually those on the board.

For example he will have some type of rocket launcher mechanism that shoots diagonally like a bishop would move and defeat other pieces on the board.

SKETCHES & WIPs
Old 25-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopipe View Post
I'm having trouble seeing much bishopyness so far if im honest
yeah, same here
Old 25-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Any suggestions? I'm have a picture of what I want the character to look, but I'm open to suggestions

I just don't want to add a funny hat and call it a bishop

SKETCHES & WIPs

Last edited by RogerP; 25-06-2011 at 09:55 PM..
Old 25-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
krayzgerman

Nice modeling so far but for the design it may easier to come up with a better grasp on vision if you work out the silhouette and design aspects first in 2d, photoshop or whatever. Tackling the basic design first will give you a better idea of what you really want to go with. What makes a bishop -a bishop, what aspects of the character can you use to then create a unique and intriguing design. You'll save a lot of time modeling when you have a clear image in your mind what you want. You'll still be able to sight see along the way and come up with new creative things along the way, but most importantly you'll know where you're going and get there faster. It's also then easier to change design features this way.
krayzgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #15
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Ehm in swedish chess at least the bishop is actually called a "runner" so I think you can actually be spot on

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Greathulahuga! Thank you:
RogerP (27-06-2011)