>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'

Old 14-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
RHedendahl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating the topology resource thread! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 3
Mesh topology

Hi, what do you people say about making a topology thread?
Always nice to see how others have done, and learn.
Not only head topology now, full body is also very good for future reference.
So if you have a model with a topology you think is good, post it here!
I'll start with this one.
Attached Images

Great RHedendahl! For Thanks for2:
Freespace-3DT (27-03-2012), silv3r777 (18-09-2011)
Old 16-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Cubikat

This is a really cool idea! I hope other people will post their topologies. I'm just starting to learn about topology and the ability to study how other artists handled the subject would be an enormous help.
Cubikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
Rogue One

Hello, this is a great idea so thought I would join in. I made highlights of the poles and edge loops. To make them easier to see

Not the best edge floe but hey!
Attached Images

Rogue One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Linc
Toast is Yes

Send a message via MSN to Linc
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Total Awards: 1
few
Attached Images

Linc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #5
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
nice thread started by Kirgan.....and great refrences, Linc...i wish some of the pictures r bigger..:-). ...

this should be a great references to everybody....
dhruvsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
katana

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Dang Linc, that's a great collection...btw where's the avatar from?
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Linc
Toast is Yes

Send a message via MSN to Linc
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Cheers peeps, afraid that's the highest res I have them in. They're part of a .pdf that was made by someone on subdmodelling forum (thread might still be there, somewhere) that chucked all the images and a bit of discussion from a huge thread on cgtalk.

Another good thread to have a look at:
Compiled thread on Poles

I don't do much Organics at all but it's good to learn as much as you can.

compiled eye topology's: (yup, rubb res again)
Attached Images

Linc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
rmxp

My submission
Not perfect, but hey, it got the job done.
Attached Images

rmxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
RHedendahl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating the topology resource thread! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 3
Great work Rogue One, Linc and rmxp. Keep them coming .
Old 19-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
Pickman
Richard Upton Pickman

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 

Here is the basemesh I use for most of my heads. Its rather poly sparse, but that helps when I want to edit it for new proportions. I see that many of the other examples have poles in similar places as mine.

I think the most important edge loop for a face, i call it the key loop, is the one circling from the bridge of the nose to the chin. I usually begin a new head mesh in this area, then build from there.

The most difficult areas of the face by far are the eyes and ears. The eyes because for their subtle complexity, and the ears for their lack of symetrical organization. The best way I've found for building an ear is to use a photo ref directly in the viewport, but to truly understand their form you'll either need to sculpt a real one, or feel yours to keep the contours and hidden shapes correct.

Does anyone have an example of a pole free face? Or even a face with just a couple poles. How about a face with even lower polies than mine? Examples of clean simple ears would be nice as well. Good idea on the thread by the way. A few more examples plus good discussion and I'll rally to make it a sticky.
Pickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Total Awards: 4
lot of good stuff, great too see how other do it.
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
Siah

Here's my WIP topology of my latest head. Tear it to shreds if you like.

Siah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #13
Pickman
Richard Upton Pickman

Awards Showcase
Good so far. You may want an edgeloop from the chin back along the jawline. Easier to select and rotate it then. Although if the model in question is a particularly fat person the flow you've shown will work.

Thanks for sharing.
Pickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
neokyubi
Paramedic

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! 
Haha, i better not post my topology in here..
but its a nice reference thread, which is worth a bookmark :-)
Old 28-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Cool thread idea. It'll make a really nice resource.

Linc : Great set of images. Some of those models were created by good personal friends of mine. Nice to see them get a bit of recognition.

Here's the topology I've developed that I use for chest, back, and shoulder deformation (this is from my last lowPoly comp entry). It's built primarily for good deformation, but its a bear to unwrap.
Attached Images

Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBuzzy! Thank you:
silv3r777 (18-09-2011)