>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 23-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #16
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

A part from some small details like bots, the engine is pretty much done now as is the exhaust system itself.
Next update will be those smaller details and the panels behind the engine as well as a prop

Cobra 6
Cobra6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #17
hawk12ht

Loving the details, especially pipe work!!
hawk12ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #18
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Thanks mate! On a totally different sidenote, why is this forum completely dead, what is going on?

Cobra 6
Old 30-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #19
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Now we start the fun part of this model, details! Added some to the exhaust system and also started adding them to the cowling etc.

Cobra 6
Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #20
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Added a load more detail to the area in front of the cockpit as well as on the wing struts. Finally the wings are also actually connected to the fuselage now

While doing this I found out I had the orientation of the wing struts and wires slightly off so I had to tweak that including all the fuel lines etc.

Also, for some magical reason I had the fabric shader assigned to the windscreens for a while now so that was corrected as well

Cobra 6
Old 20-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #21
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Was able to put in a few more hours this weekend which resulted in the wings now being attached to the struts everywhere as well as the wires being attached to the wings.

Also started putting in instrument panels/backrest panels and had to do some minor corrections to the front cockpit shape (panel shapes not correct around the windscreen and instrument panel).

Cobra6
Old 03-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #22
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

An update after putting in another couple of hours this weekend which do not show up much in the renders unfortunately =/
Managed to actually find a factory drawing for the tube-/airframe of this thing and after modelling the frame, I found out that my eye-balling was a bit off in certain areas, mainly the wing-struts near the windshield and the height of the area where the fabric fuselage meets the metal cover panel. It turned out my border was slightly too high.

All of this is corrected now and the fuselage airframe is in place.

Cobra6
Old 17-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #23
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Started fleshing out both cockpits as well as working on the airframe etc. In the second image there is some odd lightbleed behind the wooden supports on the inside and I could not yet figure out where it was coming from. It's not intersecting or doing anything weird and that is the only area where it shows up, so the investigation continues.

I've also optimised the render settings so I get less noise in the dark/shadows.

Cobra 6
Old 24-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #24
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Throttle quadrant complete including the linkage between both cockpits. Control columns and all linkages completed as well (was funny figuring out how it worked) and the mounting for the leather pads protecting the pilots from injury on the side of the cockpit also modelled.

Next up, some flooring stuff to get right and then it's time for either instrument panel or other cockpit fittings, I'll decide on that next weekend

Cobra6
Old 01-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #25
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Modelled in the rudder panels and the connecting rod as well as the fuel switch for the front cockpit.
Also finished the cockpit floor and changed the width of the rudder foot trenches.

Had to revisit the airframe again to make sure all the tubes were the correct diameter. Before I gave them a temporary one which was equal for al but a lot of them were actually thinner. All correct thickness's now however.

Cobra6
Old 14-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #26
djmj

Great model and renders....
djmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #27
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

As I've been in contact with someone who owns a Fleet 16 Finch (and restored two) he was kind enough to send me very valuable reference photos and give feedback on details in my model.

This resulted in some changes, most noticeably:
- The landing wires on the main wings are now crossed (this is the correct rigging, most Finch's nowadays are rigged wrong)
- I was able to properly finish the top of the exhaust system, there is an inlet for hot air on the hooded version of the Finch and a connector pipe which is almost never used.
- The rudder system was overhauled as I didn't get it correct from my old photos.
- The rear-outer wing strut has an adjuster for the wing wash-in and wash-out now.

There are more details coming but this was all I could get done this Sunday

Cobra6
Old 19-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #28
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Back with an update! It took quite a while as I was not able to model for about 2 weeks and I also had to completely change everything on the exhaust system and cowling

Basically my source was able to give me some measurements for the shrouds and it turned out I was a bit off with my eye-balling. This of course meant that pretty much everything else needed to be changed proportion wise.
He also sent me some great reference for the cowling doors which I've now worked up as well as completely changing the bottom cowling panel.
All in all the complete front section was changed and is now pretty much finished in terms of modelling.

Additionally I added the fresh air door on the front left that lets air into the cockpit (mostly used when the enclosed cockpit is mounted I imagine.
Also, my source pointed out that the fuel lines were rigged wrong on my model (always nice when museums get it right =/ ), they need to be on the front of the struts, not the back.
width of some of the wing struts was changed (they are different in size, who knew) and other details changed that got pointed out.

Next update will be back to the cockpit again to finish that off!

Cobra6
Old 20-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #29
Neil _M

Very nice! Love Bi Planes
Neil _M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finch, fleetline