>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 16-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
DeadlyFreeze
Not a zombie.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For throwing one hell of a good suggestion out there. You suggested the sculpting challenge, and we ran with it. The community loves it. Nice one! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: your testicles Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''Death Match'' Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Total Awards: 10
DWIV - 3D - DeadlyFreeze - Rebirther

The schedule OF DOOM....

edit - current progess

Attached Images

The mysterious guy behind you...

Last edited by DeadlyFreeze; 08-05-2009 at 02:22 AM..
DeadlyFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
katana

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Try not to take a week for concepting...it's a hard lesson to learn, but you'll be better for it.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
DeadlyFreeze
Not a zombie.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For throwing one hell of a good suggestion out there. You suggested the sculpting challenge, and we ran with it. The community loves it. Nice one! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: your testicles Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''Death Match'' Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Why do you say that katana? Having your complete end result to work off of make for less guess work in the end.

I'm just throwing ideas at the wall atm and seeing what sticks, really haven't even decided on a topic yet....
Attached Images

Old 16-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
katana

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
Why do you say that katana? Having your complete end result to work off of make for less guess work in the end.
Sorry, yea, because i blew a week on painting out a nice toon for DW3 and ended up rethinking my design. The second idea was an evening sketch. Sometimes it's better to just get the basic idea in, just like blocking out your 3d form and then noodle the details...what ever works for you, I just found that it bogged me down, and I never got those 40+ hours back, to the extent, i had no chance of finishing...burnt...Anyway, good luck.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
nendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
Sorry, yea, because i blew a week on painting out a nice toon for DW3 and ended up rethinking my design. The second idea was an evening sketch. Sometimes it's better to just get the basic idea in, just like blocking out your 3d form and then noodle the details...what ever works for you, I just found that it bogged me down, and I never got those 40+ hours back, to the extent, i had no chance of finishing...burnt...Anyway, good luck.

Thing is though i don't think he ment spending one week purly on one design. what ur talking about aint realy concept. its more having one idea and sticking to it till u don't like it anymore. What I think deadly freeze in the concepting week is to spend it on doing as many different forms and rough designs as possible. hopefully finding a design he likes and then adding the detail in later.
nendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Ichiban

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: top News Bar plug The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
That "dog" looks creepy, neat !!
Ichiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Beindulin

So far the creature at the bottom is the most interesting to me.
Beindulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
melvinsqualor

Send a message via AIM to melvinsqualor Send a message via Yahoo to melvinsqualor
really digging the girl on the left with the arms coming out of her back. Think a lot could be done with that idea.
melvinsqualor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
I'm liking the "dog," because that's a bit creepy, but I don't think its strong enough to stand on its own...and the dude in the cage, cause that's just cool. How about putting the cage with the dude in it, on the back of the dog-thing?

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
DeadlyFreeze
Not a zombie.

Awards Showcase
I have a pretty linear work flow down so I'm not so worried but thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to come and yell at you if you start bogging down this year. lol

Ya I'm pretty much dicking around see'ing what comes up then keep the things I like and dump the things I don't. Coming up with a strong idea is basically it, everything else is just technical work once you have that.

Another round...
Attached Images

Old 17-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
Freekybevis
Black Label.

Awards Showcase
i like the cross one, what if there was a character nailed to the cross and the body had no face ? epic creepy, the there were strings controlling the main body like a pupet Oo, good work so far bro
Old 17-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Nice job scheduling freeze. I think that's really going to help keep you organized in the long run.

Really cool concepts too. I really like the 3rd one of what you've posted so far, I think you could expand a lot on that.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
I like the third one too, it can really be developed into something phenomenal if you out a lot of effort in to some details.
setschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #14
Warbringerd

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
So far I like the guy in the cage, I really think you could take that one and push it into someting totally freaky.
Warbringerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
DeadlyFreeze
Not a zombie.

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the advice guys. Here's my mix mash up of all my ideas so far. Kind of like where this one is going....
Attached Images