>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #31
fishless
Magic Bean

Send a message via AIM to fishless
BIg Toe: No worries. I'll be uploading a different page with the front and back together. They are so small squeezed in there together, though, so I separated them for the thread.

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/...fc4e2a8f_o.jpg
fishless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #32
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
love the staff / spear design, really fits the character well. good luck on completing its real top draw entry you have here
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #33
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Great final entry. This one went under a lot of people's radar I think, but hopefully it'll get the deserved light now.

Congratulations on finishing everything up. The final product turned out great, and it definitely stands apart from the crowd.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #34
fishless
Magic Bean

Glad yous like it.. I'm happy I did this challenge. It was really fun. A lot of work, but I'm pretty used to that by now. Feels great to finish something outside of work, for sure.

Here's the final winning pose, beauty, and construction images I uploaded. Dedicated to all my former classmates and the staff at Gnomon. God I miss you guys!
Attached Images

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP
Old 13-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #35
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Very cool. I think PuckDucker hit it when he said you've kinda of slid under the radar. I think your final textures turned out quite well. Definitely has a cool lookin' weapon as well.

Am I seeing faces/skulls in some of the glowing pods or am I just tired?

Anyway, well done, and best of luck in the next few days.
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #36
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
very good job, texture's work are beautiful and the boards are really nice, i like your project.
chris_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #37
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Yeah man, really excellent work!!
My only feedback is that a) his eyes look quite human and b) there doesn't seem to be much of a specular difference between his armor and his skin, and I'd expect to see one... other than that, this is utterly great, and I really enjoy/appreciate this. Extremely solid piece, very inspiring and a refreshing change from some of the others!
Conejo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #38
fishless
Magic Bean

Hey Conejo...Thanks for the comments. Glad you like the project.

The humany eyes don't bother me, personally. I did them that way on purpose because I tried other eye types and the more human-like eyes were the only ones that really gave him the intelligence that I wanted. Maybe it didn't come off as well as I thought. I've been looking at this guy for so many hours, I don't know. Really need an art director at this point lol.

As for the spec, I do agree it's off. I really have been struggling with it, actually. In the beauty shots, metal ray and final gather washed out most of the spec all over. I just didn't have time to figure out how to fix it. Go me.

The winning pose shot is just a screencap of the Maya viewport, which doesn't display spec all that well, IMO. At first I had the spec down more on the flesh parts, but I thought it looked too flat and dry. So I cranked all the spec up, and extra on the skin. I think if I crank the spec up even more on the armor, I'll be in business. But a little late now.

Also, I'm presently learning how to get this guy into Unreal, so I don't know if I'm going to bother screwing around with the Maya viewport anymore anyway.

Sorry this is so long. I do appreciate the comments.

ML

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP
Old 14-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #39
ballo

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Nice final images!

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=56776

Thanks for comments.
ballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #40
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Your in with a real shot at a top position, craft wise its impeccable, I think itll come down to what is the current trend if you see what I mean.

Excellent work and goodluck.
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #41
fishless
Magic Bean

Thanks for saying that Steamtrooper. There's so MANY awesome entries out there, I'm just happy to have a nice piece for my reel.

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP