>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 30-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Caz2005

Yet another rejection. Advice on my work please.

Hi there,

Been trying to get a job for over a year now but I just keep getting knock back after knock back, the usual answer being...

"Unfortunately you do not meet the standard required"

Can folks have a look at my portfolio and maybe give me some advice on what direction to take it in?

As for job sectors, I've given up on the games industry as frankly I know I'm not good enough and a 28 I'd be a pretty old junior artist.

I'd really like to work in the visualization sector eg, architectural stuff or objects.

Anyway, I know there's a ton of people here who really know their stuff so I'd love to hear some "real" opinions as you can only be told you're great by your families so many times.
Caz2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
bobi
Scorpion

Hey there.

I've looked at your portfolio, and I think your work is great. Maybe bloom effects is too intense, but overal, your work looks good.
I am not too much in architecture stuff, but if all of this models in your scene are models from some library, then you should consider creating a complete scene by your own. Modeling, texturing, lightning... etc.

Also, did you consider of trying to do some freelance work?
There are lots of sites, and you can start biding and trying to find some work for some client. First job is hardest to find, because your reputation will be zero, but after you menage to do few jobs, then you will get jobs easier.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-5-Free...ites&id=148352

I also suggest you that you make demoreel of your work. Make a video of it. Use premiere or any editing program (win movie maker could be good also), because potential clients are much easer to draw attention with video, then with pictures. Make some cool camera movement, edit your pictures in a cool way, and I think you will get better response.

I hope some of this could be helpfull.
Old 30-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
change your angle, your pitch. perhaps you haven't showed them what you're really worth, and it's always a good thing to research your potential client, "boss" - from their field of interest to work portfolio etc - see what's missing and give some free advice, at least a hint as to what they might accomplish through you

second thing is to stun them, either with that approach, ideas or portfolio presentation, something not seen before, at least by them. if you present something they weren't prepared for you might give your self some time to better present yourself

don't know do you have interviews, or several of them, or you simply send it via email - there are also numerous ways to go about these things
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Caz2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobi View Post
Hey there.

I've looked at your portfolio, and I think your work is great. Maybe bloom effects is too intense, but overal, your work looks good.
I am not too much in architecture stuff, but if all of this models in your scene are models from some library, then you should consider creating a complete scene by your own. Modeling, texturing, lightning... etc.

Also, did you consider of trying to do some freelance work?
There are lots of sites, and you can start biding and trying to find some work for some client. First job is hardest to find, because your reputation will be zero, but after you menage to do few jobs, then you will get jobs easier.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-5-Free...ites&id=148352

I also suggest you that you make demoreel of your work. Make a video of it. Use premiere or any editing program (win movie maker could be good also), because potential clients are much easer to draw attention with video, then with pictures. Make some cool camera movement, edit your pictures in a cool way, and I think you will get better response.

I hope some of this could be helpfull.
Hey, thanks mate. You've given me a boost. Everything in the 3D section is made and textured by me except for a tree that's in the one with the red wall.

You're right about the bloom effects being too high. Think I'll look in to those scenes again. There's a smug look on my girlfriends face now as she's been going on about the bloom effects for some time now. lol

Quote:
change your angle, your pitch. perhaps you haven't showed them what you're really worth, and it's always a good thing to research your potential client, "boss" - from their field of interest to work portfolio etc - see what's missing and give some free advice, at least a hint as to what they might accomplish through you

second thing is to stun them, either with that approach, ideas or portfolio presentation, something not seen before, at least by them. if you present something they weren't prepared for you might give your self some time to better present yourself

don't know do you have interviews, or several of them, or you simply send it via email - there are also numerous ways to go about these things
Good advice there but I haven't even got to an interview stage yet. Keep getting turned down at application stage. I have put my work in to a little flash presentation but maybe I should start from scratch and make it more.......gimicky?

Cheers guys

Anyone else got any thoughts? I'm happy to hear all sorts of critiques, opinions.

Last edited by Caz2005; 30-10-2009 at 08:24 PM..
Old 30-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
one thing people do is keep sending their portfolios every 6 months - i'm guessing and some companies mentioned it that they are clearing portfolios every 6 months - so even if you applied to a company before, apply again. Getting to the interview is the critical stage, without it it's half doomed anyway - not only cause people might not like your work, it's because some even don't know what they would need you for - without you present they won't get your thoughts across...

keep sending portfolios, keep changing them, work on your style and upgrade your self in the time you have free - i think progressing even if you don't have a job is the most important thing, keeps you on your toes
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
The bloom definitely needs to go, or at least be reduced by around 70%. Try adding lots of little details to your scenes ( random small objects ), and mess things up a bit ( don't keep everything clean and perfect; imagine someone lives there, so naturally something is on the floor, or the pillows are scrambled around, etc ).

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Caz2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
The bloom definitely needs to go, or at least be reduced by around 70%. Try adding lots of little details to your scenes ( random small objects ), and mess things up a bit ( don't keep everything clean and perfect; imagine someone lives there, so naturally something is on the floor, or the pillows are scrambled around, etc ).
Yeah, I've started working on something new but once it's done I'm going to go back in to the other scenes and re-do the lighting.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
dhasian
Nomade

just a small suggestion here, since your into architecure.why not try build some more fictional scene ,
you know like environment scene for games for ex,dungeon,castle,ruins
i think it will be interesting too see that.and hopefully it can make your portfolio more unique

i aggree the bloom need to go
Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Caz2005

Well, that's me uploaded the Kitchen again with a lot less bloom.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
katana

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I would say you dont have enough pieces focusing on one interest. If you go for arch than make all your pieces show that, you could use some exterior with landscape stuff. Most of what i see is residential, how do you do with commercial? The wolf as well as the topo looks a bit rough. I am not sure why you through the wolf head in there. What industry you are focusing on would go a long way to figuring out how to structure your portfolio (something I am doing myself these days). tell us what types of studios you are hitting up and what your approach is.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
Caz2005

Hi

The wolf is just here as it's something I did, I dunno. But anyway, it's not in the portfolio I'm sending out. Actually, yup, no point having it here either.

Hey, what did you mean by topo?

I've come to a point where I don't know what the hell I want to do. I would like to be a visualiser making models of housing, interiors, prototype vacum cleaners, etc.

One of my problems is that I'm looking too much at some of the pros stuff on the net, I just can't compete with it.

I know it comes down to skill mostly but I've no renderfarm and no expensive plugins/renderers.
Old 26-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Vozzza

Archviz is not the best place to go. Mainly coz you have asian kids armed with the entire evermotion collection and vray doing it for penny's.

If you want work you got to start modelling stuff you cant buy on a dvd. Or even better do animation, atleast give it a try. it's one of those things you are either good at or not. and if you're good you should be able to get work quite easily, especially if you are commited to finding work and not a lazy bum like me
Vozzza is offline   Reply With Quote