>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 11-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
demo reel size

hi guys
bit of a random question but i wondered if anyone knew what the best size for a demo reel would be
i dont want to render out my scenes in 1080 if its not really needed
i will be posting it around the web mainly

is there a certain/best size or should i just go 1080 ?
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
Ok, I don't work in the industry but I can give some feedback based on experience.

A yr or so back I did some work experience at a vfx studio and I asked one of the guys to have a look at my reel. So he opens it up and puts it in full screen on his 27inch monitor and the whole thing turns into a big pixelated mess lol

Obviously these guys are always working with high res images and a low res showreel would burn their eyes.

My opinion would be to render in HD, the bigger the better... No less than 1280x720.

No one wants to look at a pixelated mess!!!
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatastroAJ! Thank you:
needse (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
ok astro thanks for ya help mate
i wiil render out at 720 instead then it will save me some time
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
hmmm still only gonna take 5 years to render
ive got scenes with frames that are like 1 hour per frame at 720 with 1000 frames of animation

man i need to get some render bitches
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
benne

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge #37 
Total Awards: 1
maybe i have a handy little trick i sometimes use..
(if you're working with 3DS max)

I use backburner to "netrender" everything even when i don't have a network. just set it up and send all your render tasks to it and you can stop a render whenever you like, restart it, stop at a certain frame and continue an other day with the rest, without having to open all your max scenes and it even goes a little faster since it doesn't have to open the scene and display it on your monitor..

you can use this tut to set up your backburner to create your render farm on your own machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy22-JbM1WM
benne is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatbenne! Thank you:
needse (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
thanks for the link benne i will give it a go
Old 13-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
Can we see what ur rendering out?? If ur using mental ray I'm sure there are a few things that can be done to improve render times
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
benne

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge #37 
Total Awards: 1
You're welcome
Yes in mental Ray i also know a few tricks to save rendertime...
(pre calculate final gather and photons, render artificial light and sunlight separate,...)
If you want you can post a file with just you're render settings and i give it a look
benne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
astro mate ive gotta render out everything ive ever done lol
im a modeller really so ive never really had to do alot rendering the company's take care of that and i don't get the final renders half the time so..........

i use vray awell and only have one machine so i can only render when i sleep

and the time takes up if you want ao passes and irradiance map's for animation etc as brute force takes forever (max)

i think im gonna have to put some pennies in rebus render farm to speed things up otherwise my 2011 reel wont be ready untill 2021 lol

will post some grabs of vray setting soon

Last edited by needse; 13-02-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Old 13-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
McKronic
Lighter/Compositor

Send a message via MSN to McKronic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the Low-Poly Challenge #28B - Vehicle 
Total Awards: 3
What processor do you have? Your render times seem very high, can you post a few images of what you are rendering and maybe your settings? The scene I'm currently working on is being rendered with vray at 720p and has a decent amount of geo, lots of 4096 textures and around 15 lights and the render time is only 8min a frame using a core i7 2700 3.56ghz.

2009 Demo on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QaxYcy6VBI

Last edited by McKronic; 13-02-2012 at 07:52 PM..
McKronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
McKronic yeah i will post some up soon sorry max is just rendering full time at the moe
Old 14-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
i don't suppose anyone can help me i need to save out the reel in 720 high qauilty in after effects but my settings are not right. im having real trouble rendering without the file size being huge or the image quality really bad its driving me nuts is there some settings i should be using im pretty new to after effects ?

dont ask what settings im using coz im trying everything with no luck lol

aslo i only have 6 gig of ram will that effect me at all because i cant render it all into the ram preview only half the comp ? hope this makes sense to someone lol

Last edited by needse; 14-02-2012 at 07:55 PM..
Old 14-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Needse, I can help. I use AE all the time.

Not enough RAM is a problem, but nothing that we can't work around. I've got scenes on my current project that eat up 12 GB of RAM in about 20 frames.

First of all, what AE version are you using?

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatFreespace-3DT! Thank you:
needse (14-02-2012)
Old 14-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
arghhh freespace you lifesaver mate cs5
Old 14-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
dunno if this helps
Attached Images