>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The Concept Art Challenge

Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Born8th

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Total Awards: 3
Born8th - The Circus - Knives Thrower

Hello !

I intended to participate a long time ago but finding an idea wasn't so easy... And I came up with it only few days ago.

I will draw a knives thrower that has to improve his accuracy... Look where knives are... ouch

I hope finish it before deadline.

See you.

Last edited by Born8th; 16-07-2012 at 08:17 PM..
Born8th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
bladnman

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 1
I can't wait to see more. Keep it coming!
bladnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Born8th

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Hi !

I've just finished working with pen and paper.

Now I'll start the coloring process probably in a monochrome way.
Old 17-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Nice concept man!

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
nucron

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
haha, funny and even a bit disturbing, as well. nice!

I know what you've posted so far is only the basic sketch, but the one thing I'd suggest working on if you're not too far along is perhaps a few anatomical issues. in particular the ones that stand out to me the most are the waist and ankles of the woman. I know you are going for a sort of stylized, cartoony look, but I still think that she could use a little larger rib cage and the transition area between the hips and waist could be smoothed out a little. as for the ankle, mainly my thoughts are that her leg maybe terminates a little too quickly going into the foot and that extra addition of a proper ankle might help there. also, overall, the top half of her body seems a bit large for the legs, but maybe that's just perspective since she's leaning forward.

anyway, these are just my suggestions, and in the end it's totally up to you how to proceed. I hope I haven't discouraged you, because you have a fun idea, here. keep it up!
nucron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Born8th

Awards Showcase
Thanks nucron for your comments !

Your critical look at this sketch helps me to point out the anatomical mistakes I've made. I will correct length legs and try to smooth out the transition area between the hips and waist.
The woman is supposed to be a mere figurehead assistant: pretty looking but no brain (and therefore no pain ?), and you're right, I want a sort of cartoon / comics rendering, that's why some parts of her body are excessive.
For the disturbing feeling, I wondered about it when I came up with that concept, but I choose to treat it in a humoristic way: no blood, cartoon rendering, book title "Knives throwing for dummies" and bad mood for the man.

Due date approaching, so I have to hurry to post my final picture before deadline !

See you.
Old 29-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Born8th

Awards Showcase
So this is my final picture with a few corrections.

It had been great fun working on such a subject !
Looking forward to the next challenge.
Thanks

Last edited by Born8th; 29-07-2012 at 10:35 PM..