>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 24-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #31
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Okay, so here are the first few update on the ZBrushing... sorry it's taken so long, I hope you all like it.
What you're looking at took me many hours on Saturday... I'm not sure how I feel about the face, and I'm a little insecure about the torso and chest, but the hands and feet are what I've been getting into a lot. I'm gonna get dressed (I'm in a towel, having just gotten out of the shower) and I'm gonna really polish those up and get those into a virtually final state, then move from them.
My approach thus far has been to try to locate and map out all his muscles and bones, which I've done. Now the next move is to de-muscle him by laying down fat and loose, slimy skin. He's a pretty ripped guy, but I don't have much interest in him as a really muscular guy, but I needed to know how his body WORKED before I make him more flabby.
I'm anxious for crits, so please leave any feedback you have. Thanks!
Attached Images

Conejo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #32
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Ooooo, Thats looking very nice. Beautiful Z brush work pal

*Lightwave User*
Holo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 02:32 AM   #33
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
you nailed it pretty well. cant wait for you to sack him with fat.
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 05:10 AM   #34
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I just spent like 5 hours, sitting in place and ZBrushing. That was like a marathon effort!

I hope you like the outcome. Tomorrow I'm gonna finish up by making slight unevenness, getting rid of some of the symmetry, going to work on that cloth wrap on one arm, and ZBrush the loincloth as well. I also want to give him some tribal scarring, perhaps tattoos (although scarring makes much more sense, since he wouldn't be able to see the tattoos!). I already know where I'm going to look for tribal scarring... check out these links, these guys are HARD CORE and I am in awe of them.

African Warrior
African Warrior 2
Warrior 3
Warrior 4

Again, any feedback you have would be much appreciated. Suggestions etc are all welcome!
Attached Images

Old 25-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #35
crasong
aspiring nooblet

Excellent stuff i was thinking to myself that the upper snout would look so awesome if those tendrils were hanging like a beard... but perhaps thats overdone. as for flabbiness, maybe his forearms? kinda like wings yah know? whatever your choice is its gonna be excellent.
crasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #36
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Back at ya Conejo Blanco. Cheers for the encouragement, you certainly look like your getting there. I do have a lot of ZB work done and have spent a lot of time getting the Max mesh to a place that is most usefull to me in ZB, both topo wise and Normal wise, so dont despair I recon I have time.

Anyhoo hes looking great so good luck, cheers for the links Im sure they will be helpfull to me as well, any refs I get I post up for you as well.
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #37
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Hi again, noticed your post about Ambient Occlusion in Vitaly's thread, you might want to check out XNormal as its prety usefull for a number of things including Normals and Ambient Occlusion - go here and you should be able to find plenty of help and a download http://www.xnormal.net/ . It does need certain DLL's installed though so dont give up if it doesnt work first time. Good luck again.
Old 26-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #38
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
how come you left your stomach with no detailing. where is the belly button? i love your flabby shoulder and neck areas.
Old 26-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #39
Conejo Blanco

Awards Showcase
Very minor update... I tweaked the body a bit and did the cloth wrap on his arm.
Tonight I'll finish the loincloth and ZBrush his knife.
Ryvik- He doesn't have a belly button because he was born in an egg, and reptiles/amphibians don't have them!
Steamtrooper, thx for the help!! I'll be trying to use that tonight, for sure. I appreciate that you're keeping an eye out and are going out of your way to help others.
Attached Images

Old 26-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #40
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I don't want to play favourites... but this is my favourite entry! You nailed the loose reptile skin look, and the veins, claws, gills.. everything is great!!!
lampshadehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #41
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Awards Showcase
ok so its more of a reptile than a reptilian man. heheh you have enlightened me.
Old 26-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #42
Holo
Rusty Wireframe

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Anatomy is just...perfect, i love everything about this.

This is quickly becoming a Top Place contender ! Good Job.

*Lightwave User*
Holo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #43
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Conejo, hope your getting on alright with Xnormal? Im no expert but gimme a shout if your stuck. A couple of rookie tips Ive found usefull, make your maps as big as you can 4096 will yield better results out of ZB and into Xnormal than a 2048, I found the settings in ZB all but useless but Xnormal Smoothing worked prety nicely, keep it low or youll lose that detail though.

Another thing, keep a couple of hundred polies spare for after youve done your normals so you can add a few key features into your lowpoly model. The LP youve got on the first page looks like the hands might need jigging a bit so has not to lose all that lovely detail on your HP.

Again goodluck, Ive had a bad bad day personally, lost 6 hours of work trying to recover a corrupted model. Most of my backups were similarly effected so between rapid Max crashes I had to grab different parts of my mesh and deal with them individually to find the problem. Pesky pesky hidden polies and ****** minded verts caused it, but fingers crossed we are a go...
Old 27-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #44
Weiryknight

looks great....I love the anatomy. its humanoid, but the muscle groups all look and feel unique
Weiryknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 02:04 AM   #45
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Great looking sculpt. I love how you were able to incorperate different weighting to the skin for different area's of the body.

My only comment is that the head looks a little under developed compared to the body. Still looks great, but looking at the neck, the head doesn't have quite the same level of care.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote