>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 02-03-2008, 04:46 AM   #46
khemist000

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Im loving your new idea for Pandora and the 7 deadly sins. Im excited to see how this turns out, especially your takes on the different deranged bird-goblins. Good luck.
khemist000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #47
Tank[NL]
New goal: Platinum spam

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 3
very cool idea and amazing concept art. one of my new "be sure to follow and try not to get depressed"-threads
Old 02-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #48
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 14
I would love to be a fly on the wall at a tea party between your Pandora and my Countess. That would be one strange conversation! I'm definitely liking this angle a lot more than the last. This is a really original concept Stephen.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #49
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Total Awards: 2
She has a real feel of 'Mad Hettie' from the 'Sandman' comic, only shes got Deaths looks. And thats no bad thing, Hettie was a full on force of nature if you got on her bad side. (just checked your refs, and seeing the bag lady and the pigeon feeder, Im guessing that Hettie realy was your inspiration. Funny I was thinking of doing Merv . http://kleinletters.com/LetteringImages/MervP.jpg

Love your work, good luck.

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 03-03-2008 at 10:33 PM..
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #50
Stephan_R
Make Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Stephan_R Send a message via AIM to Stephan_R Send a message via MSN to Stephan_R Send a message via Yahoo to Stephan_R
I have to admit I don't know who Mad Hettie is. I'd love to see some pictures, I searched with no luck.

I'm thinking about making a girl that's been possessed by pandora rather than pandora herself.

DWIII

Last edited by Stephan_R; 04-03-2008 at 04:11 AM..
Stephan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 AM   #51
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
I'm thinking that the Mad Hettie, is just a female version of the mad hatter. Which means she doesn't exist. So don't worry about her.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #52
Stephan_R
Make Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Stephan_R Send a message via AIM to Stephan_R Send a message via MSN to Stephan_R Send a message via Yahoo to Stephan_R
2 left... and keep in mind, these are loose concepts I will definitely need to unify them when I have them all in 3d. Similar feathers, patterns, armor and skin colors etc. They're kinda goofy, and I think a young girl as pandora would be more suitable.

DWIII
Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #53
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
im loving those bird concepts! they seem like disney characters, but a lot darker and more menacing. keep up the great work.
omnicypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #54
redonix76
3DT 4 Life

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I love your concepts...very creative indeed! More please!!

-Portfolio-
-DWV-
redonix76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #55
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
I'm thinking that the Mad Hettie, is just a female version of the mad hatter. Which means she doesn't exist. So don't worry about her.
- close but no cigar, she is a very very old (older than America); NOT-witch. A character in Neil Gaimans 'The high cost of living' and the 'Sandman' masterpiece which everyone should read at least once, it realy is the best comic ever written, and for those without concepts yet, a great source of inspiration.

I did try to find you some refs of the old girl 'Mad Hettie', before I posted last time, but like you said, theres is very little to nothing online.

Here - goto the sneek peek download and there she is in all her mad adorable glory - http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=1601

I wasnt accusing you of anything, just youll see how alike your character is in many ways so assumed you must be a reader of Sandman.
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #56
mel_danes
Occupant

Awards Showcase
Everything looks cool.
Very Brian Froud I was thinking, Goblins , Fairies and such are his specialty.

Check him out.
mel_danes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #57
Stephan_R
Make Believe

I'm so lost... *sniff* lost in a sea of endless confusion and frustration.

I'm considering going to the drawing board again. I do like the idea of the 7 sins, but not sure about this direction. You know that gut feeling an artist gets that is just short of inspiring yourself... and I think it's because I'm "too" close to Brian Froud's work.

Thanks for the comments, I'll have to figure it out asap.

DWIII
Old 05-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #58
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
do the sins have to be creatures, I mean, it will be hard enough to model the main character with the tri count the way it is, so trying to squeeze 7 more characters out of it might be pushing it. Maybe place the sins back in the box. Then use the box as the artifact.

So far all your concepts rock, but time is running out and I gotta see one of these things in 3d, and the winners circle.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #59
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Here's my 2cents, (not that you ever reply to me, but <sigh> here it is anyway)... I think you were on the right track with the first image and with the refs. I have to admit when you posted up the birds I was taken aback and much less enthused by the direction. Froud is not the way to go here IMO, rather, stick with something subtler. Less Froud, more Metal Gear. Look at any boss they ever did in metal gear and see how understated, yet over-the-top they are at the same time.
Your first image of Pandora was bang on. What I expected was for you to create a series of really symbolic birds, each with their own attribute. That could be really cool, an archetype of your own creation. Perhaps the bird's presence alone is able to inspire their token sin in others. I'd give that angle a go if it was me.

My other concern with the new ones was the poly count. Granted, 9000 is a lot. But even if you made another combined character for the last two sins + Pandora (girl or otherwise) + the remaining 4 sins + their weapons. We're looking at 1500 polys per character. And that is cutting it fine -- albeit possible.

You could go back to the drawing board but that would be a waste IMO. Rather, go back to your first image and approach the birds in a more sophisticated way. Does any of that answer your gut feeling?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #60
mel_danes
Occupant

Awards Showcase
I second Monty (Sorry for the abbrv.)
The original concept is spot on, original, unusual and very far from the Beefy Steroid God of War we see everywhere in this comp. Not that big guys with big swords is bad....wait di I say that right.

Anyway, go with you original idea and work the birds in as little chara's, not anything elaborate just symbols or small couple hundred poly conjurations.

My 2 cents
mel_danes is offline   Reply With Quote