>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 10-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
fishless
Magic Bean

Send a message via AIM to fishless
DWIII - 3D - Fishless - Zildjian

Well, I wasn't sure if I'd have time to enter, but there seems to have been a rift in the universe recently and some extra time sort of spilled out.

So here is Zildjian (yes, after the cymbal maker). Warlord - Air/Lighting. His magic is in his artifact weapon (probably a staff, design to come), which powers his armor, which in turn sustains his life as he travels from planet to planet.

Here are his original sketch, shots of his Maya silouette, and base mesh. You can see his armor pieces have evolved some from the original design. Will start sketching around on his head in Zbrush today.
Attached Images

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/...fc4e2a8f_o.jpg

Last edited by fishless; 31-03-2008 at 02:43 PM..
fishless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
cooool!
lampshadehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
yes kool ! good continuation
chris_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
khemist000

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Love the design of the armour. Im not sure how I feel about the legs, I feel like they are too "hoof" like. Not sure what a good alternative would be, maybe something more crustaceous? I feel like they make him look less confident than a warlord should look. Overall great though, Im looking forward to see your detail work..
khemist000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
fishless
Magic Bean

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure about the feet yet. They may change in Zbrush, for sure. They are not going to be hoofs exactly, but I see how the shape looks like a hoof, especially in the side view. Dunno yet. Probably get to the legs later this week.

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP
Old 12-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
fishless
Magic Bean

Here is a first pass sculpt on his head and torso. Didn't sculpt areas that are occluded by armor, of course. Have to integrate the tubes in more with his flesh, and de-symmetry him. Much more surface detail to come with the color pass next week. Tonight arms and legs. Tomorrow armor.
Attached Images

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP
Old 13-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
That's looking awesome! keep up the pace
Old 14-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
I like it ! good work
chris_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #9
fishless
Magic Bean

Lots more zbrushing done. All the parts total around 3 million polys. Still working on the armor surface detail. Hoping to start texturing in the next couple of days though.
Attached Images

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP
Old 19-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
Looking very very good! Quite a surprise with this one
Old 20-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Yeah, this one looks cooool!
Old 25-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
fishless
Magic Bean

Hey all (four) of you following this thread. Thanks for the kind comments. You rock!

Here's some new images of the final sculpt in Zbrush. Ran some preliminary maps. Starting color now in Maya and Photoshop. Dunno if I'll finish the game model by the 7th, but I'm trying. Stupid work...and family...and life! Grr.
Attached Images

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP
Old 25-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
fishless
Magic Bean

Color! Well, VERY early color on the head/chest piece. Mainly just a block-in. Shots from maya viewport. Geo is 120k poly's from Zbrush, with normal map, cavity and color maps. Mostly so I can see what I'm doing. Painting is happening in Photoshop only right now.
Attached Images

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP
Old 25-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #14
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Looking cool, I think you should consider more of a distinction between the colors of his skin and his armor tho. Doesn't need to be a vast difference, but a little more than you have now I think. The skin color definitely gives him the appearance of someone who would need an aid of some sort to keep him alive. Should look really cool when you get the glow going from all the, umm, glowy things.
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
fishless
Magic Bean

Thanks. No worries. That piece of armor is sort of integrated into his body, functioning as the most central part of his magic-breathing device, so I want it to meld with the color of his flesh. I went with kind of a bone-like material. The other armor pieces however, will be metal, for sure. Will be blue/gray and gold, I think.

Character Artist
Gnomon Graduate
Doofus

Orc Assassin WIP