>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 15-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
Project Mafia

Hey!
Zlatovous and I decided to make a little project together. He is going to make a vehicle, and i'm gonna make the guy who drives it. The theme is mafia, so both the car, and the man will be representing this style
We haven't talked about some details, like are we gonna make an environment for the car and the driver, but these things will be decided during work, so its gonna be interesting!
I hope i can bring the quality that Zlatovous can do, so the final piece will look nice, and harmonious.

All comments and crits are welcome!

edit: i'll cut the car, and the character together from time to time, so the progress will show up in the main thread section.

Attached Images

Last edited by Cordero; 22-08-2010 at 10:38 AM..
Cordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Send a message via ICQ to Zlatovous Send a message via MSN to Zlatovous
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 
Total Awards: 7
So let's get this rollin' mafia style :-)

Spent yesterday in technical museum of Tatra, looking for some good references. The company has 170 years of tradition so it has great variety of cars. I finally decided for one beauty I have found, called Tatra 57B. It's been here since 1939 and it was very popular and well-selling car even though it was an economy crisis. It's easy to handle, maintain and running costs are quite low. The main purpose was a limo but it had found a way to normal life aswell.

I want to make this car as close to original as possible, so I have taken about hundred pictures of all details. Well, as much as I could - the interior was locked and it was unable to get nice picture from there. But I asked at information and they said meeting can be arranged with the manager of the museum and he will unlock it for me (unfortunately he was out of town that day). So I will probably have another trip there :-)

Anyway, here is my ref plate with some details to get your idea. Sorry for the blurred images, my hand was shaky and camera is pretty low end as well ( don't have tripod either)

Old 15-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Awesome!
I'm gonna put together an inspiration sheet. Probably watch godfather just to get the feeling right
I'm thinking about a "gentleman" in a suit, which is blue, and has a "line pattern". Of course a hat, and a Tommy gun. Red tie, white shirt, and a cigar.

I'm aiming for the typical gangster look!

Are you planning on making the low poly version of the car?
Old 15-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 
Of course :-) It will be challenging, since I have never before modelled a car
Old 15-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Awards Showcase
Bow before the mighty tire! Hehe, time to move on
Attached Images

Old 15-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
raises brow at bow request* lol jk.

Cool! Lets see it guys!
Old 16-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Cordero

Awards Showcase
really slow progress started on the Thompson. Pretty plain at the moment.. gonna change lots of things, i just wanted to show that i'm alive
most of the things look odd on the gun right now.. its maybe because i was half drunk when i started this that was fun...
Attached Images

Old 16-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Cordero

Awards Showcase
any slower then this, and i'd be moving backwards
Attached Images

Old 16-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Krallis
D3

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Looks good.
Though you might wanna post your references, because as far as im aware only the M1a1 has the stock screw.
Especially not the M1928 model.

Softimage User.

------------------------------------------------
Nadir-- FINISHED
[CENTER]
Krallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Thanks Krallis!

I wasn't happy with the model of the gun, since it has some plain big shapes all over it. Nothing much to look at :S so i decided to search for little alternatives from real life, so i can cheat some life in to it.
I'm not done with the high poly, but i'm gonna be tonight, so it could look better then
Attached Images

Old 16-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Krallis
D3

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Im modelling this one.
http://www.superdrummy.com/thompson.JPG
The m1a1, which is a different model to the m1928, which is what youve done.
Maybe its just that the boltis only on one side and all the pics I found were taken of the other side.

Keep it up

Softimage User.

------------------------------------------------
Nadir-- FINISHED
[CENTER]
Krallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Hehe Yeah my friend helped me not to mix up to different models but it seems i can't get the names right
I've never been in to guns...
Good luck with that one!
Old 16-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Awards Showcase
Nice start on the Thompson. I see you are getting into drift of things before character itself. That's good :-)

Also, I struggled and I struggled hard with car body since I wasn't able to find blueprints for this car and my photos weren't good for using as guide within Max itself, so I mostly eyballed. It's bit narrower than it should be, but I will fix it in a second. Just realised it after rendering :-) Also I will redo the grill, it desn't fit exactly. But other than that, happy with result :-)

Old 16-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Yeah! looks ace so far. will look even better after the changes I like the rendering style too.

I was doing some weapons now, so i figured it will be easy to just one more
Old 17-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
Cordero

Awards Showcase
so i searched for some references, and these are some of it.
so he is gonna have a hat, a shirt without sleeves, a vest (or what its called on the middle left ) pants like on the bottom left guy, and shoes with those white tingy on it.
Probably a cigar, and scars.
I don't know which way to go: boss character (fat) or combat character (slim). what do you think?
Attached Images