>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 16-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
JGavin

Send a message via MSN to JGavin
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 1
DWIV - 3D - JGavin - Ovander

Hi guys glad to be representing you for dominance war. Long time follower.

Here is one of my first ideas for a scout.
did a quick sketch in zbrush.
I'll get back to you when my form is nailed down more.

Last edited by JGavin; 06-04-2009 at 05:55 PM..
JGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Interesting shape going so far. For a scout, he looks like he is a little heavy and not too quiet, but maybe your not going for that kind of scout
Old 18-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
JGavin

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
ok heres a little update.

-decided to move the legs to the top of the body
-the plate on the bottom is where the robot will partially land
-I'll have to show you guys a jump path of how the machine will move... cause its kinda complicated
-All of the lower pieces will fold into the "thigh" part of the leg.
-keep in mind that the dark gray parts on the body will be partially delete, to make the robot look more fragile and light.
-arms will still be used but they will fold out of the lower half of the body.

-open for any new ideas or crits
do you guys think the head fits with the rest of the body?? had a little trouble with it.
Attached Images

Last edited by JGavin; 05-04-2009 at 05:22 AM..
JGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Loafie

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
progressing quickly, looking good!
Loafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
Your rapid transition from "dirty lump of Z-jelly" to "intricate, futuristic machine" is stunning. It'd be great to see you keep up this pace, but don't get burned out too early! ^__^
Old 30-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
JGavin

Awards Showcase
thanks guys.
I'll post better renders later today
Attached Images

Old 30-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Ooh, updates just look better and better. I'd try not to get too bogged down with colour right now (the red and blue don't really go well together), just concentrate on getting everything to look good with one flat shader.

I almost feel like this guy needs two small "front" legs in front him, making him a quadruped. Looking very cool regardless though.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
JGavin

Awards Showcase
yeah, good idea. The center plate on the bottom acts as a third leg. It is where the robot partially lands when jumping. As it is primarily a jumping robot.
Attached Images

Old 30-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Interesting idea and well modeled. Perhaps you could choose a different color-scheme? Everything else looks great...

Edit: ^^ this was ment to be posted just after the last picture... Seems as if I'm too slow.

Last edited by JuST; 30-03-2009 at 05:26 PM..
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
omegamista

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge 'Revenge' 
I would increase his foot size, right now he's looking a little top heavy and precarious. I think, especially since he's a jumping robot with only two legs, a wider base will make him look more stable and just give him a stronger look. Other than that you've got a sweet looking robot. Can't wait to see it's progress
omegamista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
JGavin

Awards Showcase
alright ditching the last attempt at legs. Felt they didn't fit with the rest of the body. Heres the start of the new ones. Starting to get a little on the heavy side though.
Attached Images

Old 31-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I can't imagine how the new legs/feet work... perhaps you can help me with a little illustration?
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
JGavin

Awards Showcase
good good. I was wondering if people might have trouble identifing that. The biggest thing is making sure people can understand that its a jumping robot by looking at it.
Old 31-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
spider2544

i like this wirey exoskeleton thing you ahve going on thats really neat to have on a robot.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:21 AM   #15
JGavin

Awards Showcase
Working out the forms on the legs.