>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 07-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
Cordero's characters

This thread is going to show my WIPs, including all of my characters i'm doing from here on.

So here is my latest lowpoly character: Deadpool. Since I really liked doing Spiderman, i decided to make another comic character, but with next gen methods.

So this is where I'm at now. I want to rig him up fully, including as much facial expressions as possible. The whole character, including the two pistols, two swords and equipment is 4470 tris. This is going to be the lowpoly version, since i'm always doing the lowpoly first, which I then sculpt on.
The guns going to have laser sights on them, thats why they are so wide at the end.
The knife basically a copy of the swords, so I didn't made an image of that. (i'm gonna need to make a "bag" for the knife, i just noticed)

So what do you think? is 4470 tris too much? does the silhouette shows that its a comic character?
I'm mainly concerned about the proportions, does it show that this is a comic guy?

All comments are welcome, and crits even more

edit: I decided to change this image from time to time, so it updates in the thread section!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cordero; 03-04-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Cordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
The proportions look good. Very stylish. Yet something feels odd. Do you have any concepts that you are going off? I think you shoukd post your reference. Also, no high poly?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
http://joshawafrost.deviantart.com/a...POOL-165558944
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAI5y20X2Gk

These are the one of the ref. i'm using, and i attached an image.

There will be a highpoly of course, but i wanted to show the lowpoly wireframe before i move on, to see if its good for deformation.
I agree, something is a bit off right now...
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Cordero

Awards Showcase
The youtube video is what i followed for proportions, and i'm gonna follow the devinatart one for highpoly and colors.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
that is such a great cartoon, shame they dont make more like that.
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Raul

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Well, you seem rather unprepared for this. What you should be doing is gathering ALL the best reference and put it all in one folder or even make a collage with them. That is what i expected you to post.

Then, i really hope that you are not taking this mesh into zbrush and making your high from that. if you ask me, and this is just my 2 cents. Done research, do your own drawings of your interpretation of deadpool. Do a basemesh ( ALL QUADS ), of all your character parts, props, whatever. Take that into zbrush. Model it, have fun. And then finally do the low poly.

What is going to happen now is you will start from this mesh, i suppose. Or build a base mesh using your current mesh as a guide. And take it to zbrush, change proportions. Then when is time to cast fight your low poly to fit your high poly. Just thinking about this gives me a serious headace. lol.

Nevertheless, deadpool is my second favorite marvel character ( spiderman 1st! ) So im looking forward for the outcome.

Also, you may wanna look over at the comicconchallenge. And just peak around and see how people did their models to have a little more guidance and inspiration to build yours. I think someone made deadpool.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Hey Raul! Thanks for the reply man!
Yes i should have gather more references as you said! But when i found the youtube video, i found the proportions, and the style of that character very entertaining, so i decided to go with those proportions. I also found another deadpool drawing, which i found useful for colors, and sculpting. One thing i should have gathered more reference is his equipment.

I need to practice drawing anyway, so i'll try to make something up after I've done more research!

About the work flow. I thought this way, how i'm doing it right now is also a possible way to make characters. (lowpoly first, then zbrush, then export lowest sub lvl in zbrush, unwrap it, export it back, and bake normal map without a problem) Since i found it ridiculous to add one more "technical" step to the already over complicated work flow.
If retopology is the only way of doing this, i'll do that of course.

I'll try not to disappoint you, if he is your second favorite!
Old 08-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Cordero

Awards Showcase
well, at least I tried ...
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Raul

Awards Showcase
...sighs...lol...well its a start!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
RodFlanders11
Need more RAM...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Consider me interested! Looking foward to the rigging especially.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Raul: weelll it was not a coincidence that I didn't draw a thing I found more picture of deadpool, and your suggestion was indeed very helpful: now i have some more ideas to work from.
For example, i decided to make a next gen gun. or two... or maybe three for this character.
A barrett 50 cal (or what) two beretta, and a couple of combat knifes. Aaand maybe a rocket launcher. Another new idea is to make the guns extra large, and the characters arms and legs extra thin. I think it will look funny!

RodFlanders11: Cool!

I'm gonna have to practice drawing. but now, i just want to model this guy already!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Haha, thats right!
I was thinking about a weapon like this (fallout 1,2 rocks by the way)

i'm off doing my challenge entry, i'm gonna continue Deadpool after that!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cordero; 10-07-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Cordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
Cordero

Awards Showcase
The challenge is over, so now i'm here.

There is a cool high poly knife tutorial on cgtuts, and after watching that, i decided that its not looking hard at all, so i'll do my stuff this way, to see how that goes.

So I started with the highpoly knife, which is not my usual approach to these thing, since usually i do the lowpoly first, but yeah.. Raul may be right, and I should do this reverse thing At least give it a try...
So there will be a knife, a sword, two berettas, an M4A1, and a rocket launcher like on the picture above. Armed and dangerous that what Deadpool is.
It may be a bit overkill, giving him so many weapons, but i have to do those stuff anyway, since i haven't done any serious next gen weapon in a while..

The knife is pretty simple now, but i think its more professional this way. I might need to add some more little detail to it i think.
What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Old 16-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
Cool knife. looking forward to more updates
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Thanks Tarik!

I think this handler is better. Gonna do the low poly now. (since every weapon will have its own texture)
I think its better to do the whole workflow from start to finish, and then start the next weapon. So after the LP, i'm gonna bake, and texture!
Attached Images