>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 30-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #16
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
i was curious to see wut the bug i did for the low poly comp #17 would look like on the marmoset engine. I had to do some clean up to the textures....i almost baked all my maps again, but i got lazy! :P

here is the fancy render i had done previously

and here it is inside the marmoset engine

Last edited by Raul; 30-12-2009 at 07:02 AM..
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #17
pogimonz
mango smoothie!

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 3
marmoset render looks dope!.. maybe put a glow map on the eyes and the round green areas.
pogimonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
Raul

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
I know! This marmoset thing is awesome! I wish I would have used it way way before.
The glow map is something I was curious of myself. Would that b a different map? Or embedded within the diffuse channels?
Old 30-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #19
jeremiah_bigley
Modeler

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
I think it is a map put into the self illumination slot?
Dude your scuba helmet looks awesome! I think you are right on the specular though. I think you need to go back and revisit it and make it look wet. Talk about something from a bioshock world :P You get a really good spec on that thing and that will be the best piece I have seen.
jeremiah_bigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #20
pogimonz
mango smoothie!

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 3
actually I've never played with the glow map before.. but I know ppl use it to sell illumination in their characters.

check out this artist's work.. it might give u some ideas
http://www.review3d.com/port.htm ---hellgate-London-creatures
pogimonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
Raul

Awards Showcase
Hehehe thanx jj u r too kind!

Pogimonz - it must be that ambient slot....hmmm I'm gonna try it out in abit. I am really liking this marmoset deal. But I wish there was some way of outputting image files with alphas out so I can composite the stuff in photoshop easier. The thing is free so I can't really complain lol.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #22
D R E A M N T

Send a message via AIM to D R E A M N T
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
This stuff is really amazing.I have a question.
What makes this marmoset renderer so amazing.Just wondering been hearing a lot about it and think I might just pick it up.
D R E A M N T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #23
Raul

Awards Showcase
nothing really...i honestly am not super impressed with it. Except for the fact that its free. And the time it takes to load unreal, i already have my textures hooked up to a material.

I use it to preview my textures in real time rather than in the viewport of xsi, maya or whatever. It helps me get done faster. Then prior to rendering with xsi i make i normally just need to change a few things but i know that my textures are dead on...for the most part anyway...lol
Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #24
Oniram

Send a message via AIM to Oniram Send a message via MSN to Oniram
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
really digging that helmet.
Oniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #25
PONRHartman

the bug came out looking pretty nice, whats the difference between rendering in this engine to rendering in unreal, besides unreal being a little slower as Neto stated earlier

Goku
PONRHartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #26
Raul

Awards Showcase
PONRHartman - i was trying a quick test in unreal, just for you! After 25 min of trying to import in all my stuff and get some decent lighting going on. The thing %*$%$ crashed. With that said, unless you are using unreal for something, just stick with marmoset. It saves a lot of headaches.

Anyways, i had to take a break from the comp pogimonz, others and i were doing. Due to the fact that i got put on "vacation"...so i decided to use this time to pimp my website and what not. Being on vacation isnt all that bad. Ive had a lot of time to do stuff that ive been wanting to try out for months.

So..check it out. I've been using blogger for a while. But never really knew what it could really do. I guess the biggest feature that impressed me is that you can have friends and people follow your blog. All they need is a google account! Pretty handy, if you are trying to market yourself in such a ****ty economy like we have now.

Anyways, on to the nerdy stuff. I was able to install multibox on my blog. Its a pretty neat php plugging that lets you embed, not only images, but also movies and other types of files. So this way, i can upload my images to free places like photobucket and youtube. And not worry about loading times.

Check it out for yourselves. Ive only played around with the layout, and the only thing that has multibox right now is the 1st post.
http://raulaparicio.blogspot.com

Figuring this stuff out took me about 2 or 3 days. Like i said, very handy if you are trying to market yourself, since google will pick up on a lot of the tags on your posts.

Between other things, i checked out the new udk editor. Which is ALSO FREE. I problably sound like such a broke ass for now for brining up all the free stuff..lol. Its pretty neat, tons of cool new features.

And finally, i started modeling a new prop for class.

Last edited by Raul; 18-01-2010 at 05:40 PM..
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #27
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Blog looks pretty nice, you've got some images that are extending beyond the horizontal parameters tho, and being "clipped" by the border. Might want to look at a way to resize them in the content with a "click to enlarge" sorta thing.

As for this model, it looks pretty good. Looks like you've got a lot of double edges in places and I wonder if you really need or if a normal map wouldn't be able to handle them just as well? Also, looks like the tri striping on the top lid bit got a little screwy. Silhouette reads really clearly.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #28
PONRHartman

Neto - Thanks for clearing that up your a badass! also nice latern, lots of detail

Goku
PONRHartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #29
Raul

Awards Showcase
Warlock - thanx for the advice man! im still new to the low poly deal. I found out where 25% of my faces were going. I had this twirly spring thingie right below the glass part of the lantern. And i have made that into a series of planes that will use alphas. And now, the problem i have is that im only 1800 tris..lol..and i gotta be at 2000k. Dont really know where to use my faces at anymore. I will post later. By the way, thanx for pointing out the stuff for the top part. I wasnt too sure of that myself. But you cleared that out for me.

PONRHartman - nah dude, im trying to be a badass. but thanx! I still owe you that unreal preview as you made me very curious of what its going to look inside of unreal. I wonder tho, if have to make some kind of special shader to match that of marmoset...hmm...

I asked this same question a few months ago, but does anyone know where i can get the logo for the low poly comps?? Big Toe! Help! :P
Old 23-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #30
Raul

Awards Showcase
New upate. i did some test for my normals and my ao. And applied this inside both xsi and marmoset.

The mesh is currently 1880. I still got some 220 tris to use. And i also got a bunch of crap to fix!

Softimage viewport render.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...n-low__002.jpg

Marmoset render.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...n-low__002.jpg