>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
CG_guy007

need some career advice/direction

Hey Guys!

First A little BG info:

I've been a CG artist for about a year now. However I've always been an artist... since very young, self taught: with a substantial amount of formal training and practice through institutions (high-school and college). In this I have never found it difficult applying this knowledge to a new-medium. I started out learning CG in Modo, fell in love with-it (CG) right away, like "this is what I want to do type of thing". Then I moved on to ZB... and picking it up right-away. In fact the more I learn about ZB, the less and less I find the need to use my modeler beyond scene set-up, and rendering.

Anyway... none of this is relevant... but after doing this a year now... I know where my strengths are and also what I enjoy doing most... and thats sculpting, and or creating things of an organic nature in general, more so than anything, character work. But I'm at the point where I would really like too focus, and hone in on a specific trade.... and want to know where the work is for digital sculptors? What else beyond the gaming industry or game assets can I shop myself around as a digital sculptor, or use my digital-sculpting HR skills to create revenue for myself? Generally speaking: a place where optimizing a 2-5mil sculpt down to 15k or less is not a requirement?

Freelance, or at a company doesn't matter so much, but where, and what: Concept Art, pre-viz, post (Such as a pinup or promo art), print (both 3D and 2D)... where should I be looking, where are these jobs?
CG_guy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
If all you want to do is sculpt, toy companies may be your best option. Anywhere else is likely going to require you to perform other tasks as well. Don't expect to jump in it right away however as a new recruit, you'll be doing lost of sanding down other people's models first.

I wouldn't say it's impossible to get a job in a VFX or Game studio only sculpting, but you'd have to be the bee's knees. Your sculpting would need to be so fantastic that it makes zero sense to put you on anything else. My guess is an opportunity like that would probably go to a resident artist or long time industry professional instead of someone trying to break in.

One area you may want to consider though is concept sculpting for movie scripts. Many films put together a design pitch, and concept sculpts I imagine would be a fantastic way to help sell an idea. Again though, most people are looking for someone with professional experience, but I'm sure if you look hard enough and do an excellent job pitching your service, something would come up.

But ultimately you need to do exceptional work and work will come to you.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 14-05-2010 at 03:24 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote