>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge

Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 AM   #16
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
What I had planned for the cross is two huge pieces of metal affixed to his shoulder plates, but I may add chains as well. Thanks for the feedback!
AlucardAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #17
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Just testing out some color schemes...no texturing or anything, just Zbrush materials. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
Pablo Ferro
Because that´s my name.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Think the weapon arms should go more with the overall rounded aspect and geometry. The rest is flawless.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Thanks a lot! I was actually comsidering redesigning the guns, but now I will for sure. Concepts up soon.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #20
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
I decided to change the weapon arms to have two different types of guns, and detailed them both. Still experimenting with colors....thinking red on black but I haven't decided yet.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #21
chichiri

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: rd Place in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 2
The new weapons are really better, this model is great.
chichiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #22
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Thanks! More updates soon.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
I really like where you're going with this, but if it's not too late I would suggest changing the legs. They seem really clunky and make the silhouette look awkward, like he's a skinny guy with abnormally large hips.

They would work well if you slimmed them down a bit.

Otherwise, the technique and style is excellent. The big arms work because it creates this sort of gorilla-like shape to him.

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the input, I'll see what I can do about the legs. Good luck on yours, too!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #25
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Been workin' on the low poly....my least favorite part.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #26
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Low poly with Normal map, rendered in Marmoset.
Attached Images

Old 14-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #27
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
I think there are alot of places where you aren't using the polygons to their full potential. If I had to guess I would say this character is maybe... 6k tris under budget?

In my opinion, you should be doing everything you can to meet the budget (since it is so high) even if it means pushing the characters tri count to 14,999. There are several areas that could be enhanced with more geometry. The parts that really stand out are the mechanical shapes on his left gun-arm. There are a bunch of circles and divots and mechanical markings on the gun that feel totally flat because of the lack of geometry. The same issue is happening on the feet as well (in the rounded protrusions). And again on the feet, the large spikes on the underside are not being supported by enough geometry.

Lastly the drape over the legs seems unnecessarily angular. It could use two or three more edge loops to smooth that out.

I hope you don't find this overly critical. There's a lot of great things about this character and I think you'll be able to bring out the best in it with just a few geometry changes here and there to make it more dimensional. Hope this helps you! Good luck

Portfolio
Old 14-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #28
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Haha I only wish my character were 6k tris under budget, it's at about 14,897 right now. But I understand what you're saying and will move some tris around. Thanks for the constructive critisicm!
Old 16-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #29
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Here is the beginning of my texturing....just figured out alpha maps! Hoorah!
Attached Images

Old 19-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #30
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Hey wow, that texturing job looks epic. It really helps the character along.

Also, I know you just figured out alphas, but look into reflection maps also. It took me forever to realize, but reflection is sooooo sooo important for selling metal materials. Even if its only there the barest bit, it makes a world of difference.

Looking good, keep it up!

Portfolio