>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge

Old 19-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #31
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Thank you for the input.....also, I looked into reflection maps. Do you know if there is any way to incorporate them into my model if I'm rendering with Marmoset toolbag?
AlucardAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 04:51 AM   #32
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Don't know, I never use the marmoset toolbag, sorry :-\. I'm sure someone else can answer that better than I can

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #33
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: good vs evil Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up 
Total Awards: 8
Marmoset automatically sets up an environment so your high specular should pick up the hints of that environment.
Kaiune3D is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatKaiune3D! Thank you:
AlucardAssassin (20-07-2011)
Old 25-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #34
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Texture and material work nearing completion, some optimization still necessary. Also, some basic posing as you can see

All crits are welcome.
Attached Images

Old 25-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #35
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: good vs evil Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up 
Total Awards: 8
Looking better. I still don't get what I'm looking at with the hip area though.

Also maybe add a bit of fraying around the rips in the cloth
Kaiune3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #36
TonyClifton

Awards Showcase
Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: First Place in: May 2008 - Carnivorous Plant, Stylized Challenge 
I think you could get some more variations in your texture. Right now, I understand the color more like a paint job. What I mean is that you have got a lot of screws and button like detail in there that could use some more attention. I think these details get kind of lost right now. Also, I think it looks too new,like a machine that just got out of the factory, brand new. You know what I mean?

Have a look at this weapon (just an example): http://skins.thanez.net/aks74u/render.jpg
It has a some scratches and variations in the textures. May be this could give your model an additional touch. Keep it up!
Old 25-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Send a message via MSN to TekNeek
Nice job dude. But, since there are a few days left, might I suggest you reading --this tutorial--, to get more 'oomph' into your character.

--Showreel--
TekNeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #38
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Send a message via MSN to tsabszy
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 2
nice one! i think there's only one thing you should pay more attention to: the functionality.
i like your desing, how it looks new and interesting, the only thing i miss is that i can't clearly understand the funtionality of everything (e.g.: some wires go inside other surfaces without any transition like some screws or a tube end or something)
and same goes to texturing, just think about where would this armor go worn and scratchy if it existed (at outer corners and more dirt at the legs etc. ) now it seems sterile
(TekNeek gave a nice texturing tutorial!)
i hope i was not rude, was only trying to give you some tips how to take it to the next level keep up the great work!
and i can't see Ambient Occlusion baked from your high poly model, that would help much to understand forms much better.
tsabszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #39
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Thank you all so much for the critiques, they were very helpful. This image is the first grunge pass, just overall dirtiness. No actual grunge detailing has been done yet, except for very few areas. Thanks!
Attached Images