>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 04-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
squarefighter

Dominance War V - Animation - God of Negotiation - Squarefighter

Message from the God:

"Too long have I seen thousands upon thousands of my followers being sent to the netherworlds by senseless fighting. Pride, greed, and bigotry... This kind of pettiness causes my worshipers to fall victim to the gods of war and death. Prayers and tributes from my followers give me strength, therefore I need them alive and well. I will intervene on their quarrels, to prevent the unnecessary bloodshed. And word of my existence will spread to every battlefield, until all know and await the coming of The God of Mediating and Negotiation!"

Final Animation:

Last edited by squarefighter; 24-05-2011 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: New Direction(hehe)
squarefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
squarefighter

Thumbs up Just Kidding

I'll be using the dragon model made by yung.

Behold, my poorly drawn, haphazardly thrown together concept sketches!
Attached Images

Last edited by squarefighter; 11-05-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Optimizing
Old 10-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Gl with your entry man, theme seems really funny.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Love the idea. I think if you really play up the comedy of the piece you could have something really great. It's almost a full little story.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
squarefighter

Talking

Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll do it right and it'll be really funny. But if I do it wrong, it'll just end up kind of anti-climactic and boring.

Here's a couple models I dug up that meet the low-poly requirements for the characters. I thought it said 700, but it says 750 triangles, so I can add a little to each of them, but not much.

If the weather's nice tomorrow, I'll run around my backyard for a while to get some good reference material. Maybe I'll post some if it's not too embarrassing
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
squarefighter

Question Dragon Wing

Anybody have any suggestions for rigging up a dragon's wing(in Maya)? I'm trying a few different solutions, but I saw this one that's pretty amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6fUa...eature=related

Any idea how I'd get that to work? Does nCloth work with joints and binding that easily?
Old 13-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
squarefighter

Arrow Rigging and Binding the Dragon Completed

All set on this guy. Now I just have to set up the other characters, figure out how I'm going to make the audio track, and do some simple low-poly scene modeling. Then I can actually start animating!

Last edited by squarefighter; 21-04-2011 at 02:37 AM..
Old 14-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
squarefighter

Lightbulb Low Poly Rig

I really should read the rules 10 times before I start a competition... I missed the bit in the first rule about no pre-made base meshes. So I can't use either of those two figures I posted before.

It didn't take to long to model and rig a new character, though. Here he is, all 746 triangles of him. I was able to rig it up really quickly, since the low resolution means I could skip a lot of my standard rigging procedures.

I shouldn't need to do any more rigging for this project, so I'm going to focus on the audio. I downloaded a trial version of Adobe Audition and I'm watching some tutorial videos about it. Hopefully I can figure it out and find some good audio clips to enhance my animation.
Attached Images

Old 19-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
squarefighter

Angry Low Polygon Army

Tremble before the powerful, low-poly army!

I'm thinking like, 20 on each side will be good. Probably just 6 different idle and run cycles for the lot.
Attached Images

Old 19-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Nice work so far, too bad for the rules, I think there is meshes you can dispose of. Hope you'll negociate enough time to get your 8 plans. But once you've rig god and two capitains you'll have your basis.
Keep it up!

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #11
squarefighter

Talking Thanks Big Toe

Thanks to Big Toe for restoring my thread. Here's some nonsense I'm working on:

Last edited by squarefighter; 21-04-2011 at 02:37 AM..
Old 22-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
This sounds great! Make sure you do all the actions and poses in fun and relaxed ways and I think the comedy part will be killer . Very cliché story, but as I said make it fun all way through and this will be great!

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
squarefighter

Arrow Rough Start

I've got the extra character set up for the intro, now I have to get the main dragon's entrance figured out. Anybody know a good movie I could get some source reference for a giant crack opening up in the ground? Maybe a disaster movie like 2012 or something.

I'll have to go back and work on the captains, clean up their animations and make them stand out a little better. But right now everything is a jumble of keyframe and trax data, so I'll bake it all out and clean it up at the end.

Old 13-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #14
squarefighter

Arrow Latest Playblast

Here's an update on my animation. It's coming along, but I'm definitely going to take advantage of the extra week to finish. I'll have time to animate all the extra soldiers now.

The part where the two soldiers are running at each other will keep the captains in frame, eventually. Right now I keep tweaking things and it gets off every time I change something. But it should work out in the final camera.

Old 14-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #15
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Love the part where the one dude falls down the crack. Lots of little nice animation detail in there, really sells.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote