>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #31
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I would say that's one of the best parts about this challenge, you really have to make the characters look and feel like they are doing what you intend through movement and body language.

A REAL challenge. Probably one of the reasons I'm going to try it out.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #32
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
you raise a valid point kielfiggins.

I'd check on GA - most of the rules etc have been discussed to death on there. you needto register to enter the main comp anyways so it might as well be now

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #33
!ToM
Animator

Send a message via AIM to !ToM
Quote:
Originally Posted by setschaos View Post
Gonna give this category a shot. I am definitely a beginner at animating, but I still want to challenge myself. Have a great tutorial for rigging and I've rigged a few characters in the past, it's the actual animation that will be a new experience.

Plan on going with the big guy (warlord?) and the one on the far right as shadow. Posting story board either tonight or tomorrow. (depends on how far into my 3d model I get tonight)
Go for it man! Animation is fun : )
Search up 12 principles of Animation. These principles will really help your animation. PM me if you have any questions about them or about animation in general. The judges will most likely look for interesting poses so be sure that your characters have great silhouettes in their poses. Timing, spacing, and good body mechanics are also very important.

Anyways, here is some work in progress.

Got my rig finished for my shadow character. This rig is built around how I like to animate and it is my FIRST rig ever so its probably not very pretty compared to other rigs haha. The foot controller has "knee twist" and "foot roll" attributes. Still got to rig my other character who will be the War General.
!ToM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 12:00 AM   #34
Efrin

First WIP

Very Excited, I just wanted to get started and have chosen to use my 500 extra triangles per character for gear and weapons first thing, I have decided to use this guy as my WAR GENERAL, love the models by the way. War Hammer and Shoulder Armor added for WIP number 1.

I Can't wait to see everyones great art! Good Luck and Have Fun!
Attached Images

Efrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #35
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
I'm going to spend the next night or so watching old school fighting movies to get some ideas. But I guess to get things rolling on my end, I'll give myself a deadline of Sunday night to get everyone rigged up.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #36
Vrednia
...will never grow up!

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I got third place in the Speed Modeling Challange  
Total Awards: 1
Ok the rig of the war chief is done here is a simple pose of him
Attached Images

Old 13-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #37
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Nice pose, but I think you could push it more. Get his arms up a little higher and get him squatted down a bit.

I'm going to try to get 2 rigs done today. Then animate over the coming week.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #38
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
A few quick questions -
1.Since we are allowed some leeway to add topo around joints, I assume that also means I am allowed to retriangulate the meshes as well? Triangulation gets lost during the obj export/import process.

2.The girl had a missing triangle in her arm. I again would assume I am allowed to patch that.
EDIT: Nevermind, it was actually a flipped triangle. I am going to flip it to match the rest of the body.

3. Am I allowed to fiddle with normals/smoothing groups?

Last edited by Buzzy; 13-11-2010 at 11:50 AM..
Old 13-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #39
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
smoothing groups shouldn't be a problem.

edit: rigged up, just need to skin, then figure out how to make this work with only 6 seconds to play with.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 15-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #40
!ToM
Animator

Send a message via AIM to !ToM
Wow! Nice rig!

Alright done with my War General. This guy was way more easier to rig then the last one haha.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Time to hit the keys!

Last edited by !ToM; 15-11-2010 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Added WIP
!ToM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #41
shawnfrueh

character rig

Got the first character ready to be skinned. This is the second full body rig I've made, took a little extra time on making this on. Using the rig to do an expressive walk cycle in class. kind of pumped to show it off

shawnfrueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #42
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Rigs are looking good. I have the girl rigged already and I'm now working on the bull guy. I'll get some pics up later.

Bigtoe - I think you'll be surprised at how long 6 seconds is when you start trying to fill it.
Old 15-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #43
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
I was re-reading the rules for this(they kept changing on me), turns out all we need to do is show one person being attacked and another, attacking. So, I'm going Dragon Ball Z with this one. Maybe mix in some Michael Jackson dance moves.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 15-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #44
4f6f3b
Oo;

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
I was re-reading the rules for this(they kept changing on me), turns out all we need to do is show one person being attacked and another, attacking. So, I'm going Dragon Ball Z with this one. Maybe mix in some Michael Jackson dance moves.
Those have always been in the rules. :P And speaking of Dragon Ball, is fancy motion blurring allowed?
Old 15-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #45
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
the rules changed a few times, before the challenge started, so I had the old rules stuck in my head.

as for the motion blurr, the new rules say no special effects, so I would stay away from te blurr..

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life