>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 12-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #16
merlyn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My ''Woody Harrelson'' piece  was featered on the front page! 
Total Awards: 2
I was wanting to make a material that made the model look like it had a thin layer of see through plastic sheeting holding the muscle structure together, tried to achieve this effect with a falloff map but it did not convince. If anyone knows how i can achieve this with a material please let me know it would be much appreciated.
0202742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #17
merlyn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My ''Woody Harrelson'' piece  was featered on the front page! 
This upper leg is now mostly complete. If i have time i will invent some new muscle groups to extend the organic looking leg muscles down to the bottom of the chicken design legs. That would be much more of a challenge as right now the areas that i am working on i am able to just copy from reference material.
Old 14-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #18
EvilKnight

Send a message via MSN to EvilKnight
Very good details and all, but I thought we were only allowed 20% flesh, I think you go over it if thats the case!

Just a tought, but its kicking ass so far

Cheers!
Jonny
EvilKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #19
DDS
vendetta...

I love the muscle stylization. Good job, keep walking soldier!
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #20
Agent-X

Send a message via AIM to Agent-X Send a message via MSN to Agent-X Send a message via Yahoo to Agent-X
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Good muscles. Way to study your anatomy. Hehe. Keep up the good work. Go team 3D Total!

John Inman
Agent-X
Old 16-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #21
merlyn

Awards Showcase
Roughing in the torso now, tommorow i will add detail to it.
Old 16-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #22
merlyn

Awards Showcase
Dizzyness preventing front render.
Old 16-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #23
shadowbreeze
who me?

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 1
nice anatomy work you have their and nicely stylized, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
shadowbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #24
mim
Arm& you !

Send a message via Yahoo to mim
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
nice work sofar 0202...! how about that material? are you done that? guess you can do something with transparency n reflection maps (don't know if refractions allowed too or not?!) let me know!
btw goodluck buddy , mim,
Whistle through your comb!
Do a loony-goony dance
‘Cross the kitchen floor!
Put something silly in the world!
That ain’t been there before!
"Sell Silverstain"
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
merlyn

Awards Showcase
Cheers guys, my mate platypus green told me that i can acchieve the look i am going for by using a multiple layer shader, so i will give that a go at a later date, it will allow me to have two different specular layers also which i think will look impressive.
Old 18-02-2007, 04:23 AM   #26
merlyn

Awards Showcase
Here is an update on the details of the torso.
Old 18-02-2007, 04:25 AM   #27
merlyn

Awards Showcase
........and a wireframe render.
Old 18-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #28
mim
Arm& you !

Send a message via Yahoo to mim
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
nice 0202742, I think he needs more work on knees atm although guess you didn't start that part yet so goodluck buddy,
mim,
Whistle through your comb!
Do a loony-goony dance
‘Cross the kitchen floor!
Put something silly in the world!
That ain’t been there before!
"Sell Silverstain"
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #29
merlyn

Awards Showcase
Do you mean around the kneecap or below the kneecap? It is very rough below the leval of the kneecap as i have not worked on the area yet, i have to decide on a few design issues before i join it to the more creative robotic lower legs, ...i have not made a final decision on how the connection will be made yet. Let me know how you think it can be improved. Critique welcome.
Old 19-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #30
platypus_green

Send a message via MSN to platypus_green
Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 1
Do some drawings of how much will be styled like this and how much will be more robotic. Then you can focus on getting the details where you need them. Having a detailed drawing beforehand always speeds up the modelling process as you know exactly what you should be modelling. Means far less time tweaking and playing with proportions to get something to look right.

Also try to imagine how the low poly mesh will be built so you can build the high poly geometry in a way that the normal map won't be stretched oddly during deformation. i.e, having high detailing in places like the kneecap surroundings, where the low poly geometry stretches a lot.

Also I noticed that on the thigh front the thin muscles running down the front, the top of them looks a little distorted, I think it would be easier to use a 5 sided poly here instead of trying to make it all quads, you'll probably get a smoother mesh too. People tend to avoid >4 sided polys because the texture mapping distorts quite a bit, but for normal map generation 5 sided polys can be the ideal solution to fix areas like that.

Also do you ever use Weighting on the mesh to adjust the meshsmooth? You can get the shapes you want with lower poly counts using it.

Anywho looking good so far. But a detailed plan would help you a lot.

People were puzzled.

http://platypusgreen.co.uk
http://platypusgreen.deviantart.com
http://platypusgreen.blogspot.com/

Last edited by platypus_green; 19-02-2007 at 12:46 AM..
platypus_green is offline   Reply With Quote