>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 28-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #91
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
How can you guys forget 'Jack the pumpkin king'
1hour 40min so far.
Attached Images

ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 03:41 AM   #92
M3N7H0L5
eatin' ain't cheatin'

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
thanks MadComputerUser
hopefully,i can finish that in time..

cool, ryvick!everyone's favorite character
Old 28-10-2008, 04:23 AM   #93
dPunisher

Thanx StaleFlesh!
dPunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #94
silvaticus

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge No. 10 Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
bgen, about which images you think are rendered?
silvaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #95
silvaticus

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge No. 10 Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! 
Just in case you mean mine, it`s only preview render (which is on by default in ZBrush), some tweaking on matcaps and color fill. No texture, no polypaint, no render. I hope that`s not against the rules.

As for Lynette`s question about the challenges, I`m okay with anything that comes up and I gladly join when I have time. I have a small problem with the base meshes, I prefer my crappy models started from scratch for two reasons: it`s a better exercise and I know from start how to organize them for the needed result. So I would prefer a simple polysphere with no extra stuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by silvaticus; 28-10-2008 at 06:22 AM..
silvaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #96
3dhorus

Send a message via MSN to 3dhorus
Hi Guys !!!

Only GOOD WORKS we have here !!!

My last pumpkin posted here ...

Until now ... 2 Hours and 30 Minutes ...

Hugs !!!
Attached Images

FSGiammattey - 3DHorus Youtube Channel

Sorry for the English ... Google Translator
3dhorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #97
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
Hi silvaticus, thanks for your comments about the base meshes! Does everyone else think that would be best for future challenges - a very simple sphere, cube, etc.? I suppose the reason we give more defined meshes is because we give you such short time limits to do the work. but sure, it would certainly be easier for us to give more simple base meshes for future challenges - everyone agree?
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #98
strict9
xyz to uv YO

if you start with a basic cube.....than would that give the artist who allready know how to sculpt a unfair atvantage? (people might not enter at all if they have no idea where to start.

oh and i posted a final which was not in this thread as wip is that okay?....did the whole thing in one sitting so there isn't much "WIP" going on.

before i forget...some one said bigger prizes...if so me thinks "win 3 times in a row and you have to sit one out" hehehehe okay send in the hate mail

Last edited by strict9; 28-10-2008 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: oops
strict9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #99
julienN

I understand what silvaticus is talking about with simple mesh, the mesh of the magical staff was like that, one rectangle and one cube and it was cool to work on.
But in another side i enjoyed the base mesh of the pumpkin, it helped me a lot for the start, and i think a win a lot of time with this base mesh, i'm not totaly familiar with zbrush that's probably the reason.

I can't make a choice for this question sorry.
julienN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #100
Longhi

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge  ''After the smoke clears'' The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge ''jack 'o lantern third place'' 
Total Awards: 13
I really prefere base meshes like a cube, but dependings the theme.
I prefer organics, like monsters, humans, angels and so on. so that 3dtotal base mesh was great too
I hope we could have more speeds, like when we got 1 per 2 weeks.
Thanks
www.glaucolonghi.com
http://www.facebook.com/glaucolonghi
Longhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #101
slangford
Mover of Verts

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #9 - 2nd Place 
From my experience, I find the simple meshes allow for a lot more freedom and creativity. Now I understand a lot of the beginners might find the simple mesh a little intimidating, but I think that they will learn more if the beginning stages of the sculpting process are not 'skipped' for them. So what might be a good compromise is if the 'easier' challenges have a more defined mesh, and the 'upper level' challenges are from a simple mesh. All of this of course depends on the subject, as some could actually need a better mesh than a sphere.
All in all, I say look at the previous competitions. All have been successful (and fun) in one way or another. Even with different timelines and meshes, everyone enjoyed each one of them. I really don't think one plan is going to work for every challenge. It will become too structured and people will probably get a little tired. I say just "go-with-the-flow".

Start with the subject....
is it better for a harder/longer or easier/shorter challenge?
is it focused enough (like a bust) for a custom mesh?
would sub-tools be necessary or beneficial?

ok... I've said enough. Sorry for the long post.
slangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #102
M3N7H0L5
eatin' ain't cheatin'

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strict9 View Post
if you start with a basic cube.....than would that give the artist who allready know how to sculpt a unfair atvantage? (people might not enter at all if they have no idea where to start.
threre's been a cube challenge before,and i must say it was fun and challenging,which everybody likes and good for sharpening sculpt skills..
i'm not yet a pro and i must say that i am still a beginner till these days but it really thought me something..newbies should try it..
my opinion..
for me,personally,i think this challenge isn't necessary about grabbing the price only..to most people,it's about practice for improvement and having fun with sculpting..(like someone used to say) aite?
Old 28-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #103
DELTATHUND3R

Nice pumkin heads all.
a couple are really nice .
DELTATHUND3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #104
MadComputerUser
Call me Keeghan

Send a message via MSN to MadComputerUser
Awards Showcase
i like it with base meshes resembling the shape, as i am not a very good sculpter, so id end up with something remotely looking like slosh, i believe other under-experienced sculptors would feel the same, and so probably not enter

Deadly Poison Studios

MadComputerUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #105
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
longhi- that cut.
3dhorus- he reminds me of slimer from goustbusters. nice
Bgen- nice, love that hat it remind me of a old Football helmet from the 40's
ryvick- sweet has to be my fav so far, simple but has character.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote