>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > General software and hardware help

Old 03-05-2003, 01:58 PM   #16
shauryashaurya

Wink

addition to above: you could also press 7 to get a polygon counter in the upper left corner of your viewport.

You are the fairest of your sex,
Let me be your hero.
I love you as one over x,
as x approaches zero.
(+vely)

Its not nonsense, but its senseless

shauryashaurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 02:27 PM   #17
ARTillery

Send a message via ICQ to ARTillery
Q: when I put a light on my scene, the shadow is far from object (the object seems flying)?

A: In shadow map parameters rollout, decrease the bias amount to 0.

Q: when I put a light on my scene, the shadow seems too jagged and showing no details?

A: In shadow map parameters rollout, increase the shadow map size to 1024 or 2048 to solve the details part.. to solve the jugged part increase the sample range to 6 or 8.
ARTillery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #18
Chris-3DT
Threedy Member

q: i used shapemrge to project a spline onto a mesh. why does it merge on the wrong side?

a: flip the normal-vector around, it's pointing in the wrong direction

Chris-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 02:25 PM   #19
ARTillery

Send a message via ICQ to ARTillery
Q: I've just installed my new render plugin(Brazil-vray...etc.)for 3ds MAX but I can't find it..how do I use it??

A: under render scene menu(f10) ,current render rollout..select assign button and select your renderer from the list..
Old 05-11-2003, 04:08 AM   #20
.:Bluerider:.

Last edited by .:Bluerider:.; 05-11-2003 at 04:12 AM..
.:Bluerider:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:15 PM   #21
Emperor
Cookiefreak

Q: HELP! After rendering or working alot max gets very slow and so does the rest of the computer. Turning it off don't work always since it's loaded inte the memory. Any tips on avoiding this?

Common to us 3D people this problem iz. Anwser I have. Goto max script listener by either choosing it in the menu, pressing F11 or typing it in to the viewport one in the left bottom corner (white stripe field). Type in:

gc 402

and press enter. U oughta see some numbers in blue following this. Voila u have just dumped max's memory. be sure not to have anything u wanna undo before u do this cuz that goes bye ybe too.
Old 13-12-2003, 02:20 AM   #22
shauryashaurya

Smile that was a good one!

cool!

Let me be your hero.
as x approaches zero.
(+vely)

Old 07-04-2004, 09:12 AM   #23
shauryashaurya

Smile Boolean Issues

Q. I know we have issues with MAX booleans, when I boolean an open surface, or a closed surface, the results vary, so I need a sure method to see if my model is open or closed. How do I find out?

Ans. Us sth. we call Euler Nos.

V = No. of vertices in the model.
E = No. of edges in the model.
F = No. of faces in the model.

if V-E+F = 0 then model is a closed surface and so will be a resulting boolean withanother closed surface.

cool???

tell me if it works...

Let me be your hero.
as x approaches zero.
(+vely)

Old 07-04-2004, 08:57 PM   #24
TomorowsMemory

Send a message via AIM to TomorowsMemory
Animation and Rigging HELP!

Wow I see everyone is getting the answers theyve been looking for but I need some help one something if some one could PLEASE help me out, I see there are some very talented people here so heres my problem. I have a rig of a human, and everything is going well I have fixed my other problems and now I want to do one more thing. I have an HI chain going from the shoulder to the hand for the arm and that works fine except in some positions it tweaks out and moves in an unrealistic way, lets say I am moving the arm from the front of the body back behind (as if some one was walking and their arm motion goes front to back) the arm rotates as it passes the center of the body. I want to be able to keep the arm at the same rotation even when it passes the center or even better, be able to take the elbow once it is bent and move it so it rotates the arm acordingly either that or have a rotator on the shoulder bone so I can rotate the whole arm at any time, the problem with that is that the shoulder is connected to another bone so it wont allow the shoulder to rotate. The elbow way would be much easier for me but whatever way anyone knows would be helpful.
TomorowsMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 11:33 PM   #25
chilliodude

Send a message via AIM to chilliodude
ok this is probably a really really stupid question but this has never happened before ok here goes

when i add segments to my shape they come out as triangles not squares how do i change it back to squares help anyone?
chilliodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 01:10 AM   #26
TomorowsMemory

well im not sure if i get what your saying right but from how it seems if your a new user to 3D one thing to know is that EVERYTHING in 3D is made of triangles, no matter what shape, even a square or rectangle is triangles, you can see that if you put edged faces on your objects by right clicking on the veiport name. As for your question, you cant really change anything to squares its all rectangles but you can MAKE squares from rectangles. I hope that helps if thats not what you meant then sorry.
Old 17-07-2004, 01:33 AM   #27
dazilla

It's quite easy actually, instead of having the triangle (face) sub-object selected when you're creating faces, select the square (polygon) sub-object. You'll be able to make any number of shapes (you'll still be making them out of triangles, but the edges will be hidden).
dazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2004, 01:59 AM   #28
chilliodude

Send a message via AIM to chilliodude
Talking thanks

thanks to both of you i have been modelling (or at least trying to) for about 3 weeks now i know the question i asked was fairly simple its just a problem that has never occured before its fixed now anyway thanks again
chilliodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 02:56 AM   #29
elbaz_uk

Question gmax help-uvw uvw's

right fist off, Im told the uvw function in gmax is the same as max.

Ok I am quite the newbie and want to put a texture to an object. TRruoble is that when i do it, it covers the whole of the object.

What I want to be able to do is like open the object out into 3d and draw the texture in with photo shop. I am told this is how precise texturesa are made and applied.

The thing is when I try and get a 2d line image of my object (lets say its a box) the window that comes up when I press "EDIT" after applying an unwrap uvw modifier to the box just displays a square not an opened out version of the box like it should (or at least Im told)

So how can I do it.

If you need some referance stuff on this subject, just to get a bigger idea of what Im taking about go to http://www.middle-earthonline.com/index.php?page_id=71
about three quarters of the way down you will see a face that has been "opened" and then the features textures applied.

I can get the 2d window up ut I can open the object (BOX) like it is on that page with the face.

Can anyone tell me how to do this.??????
elbaz_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 10:44 AM   #30
TomorowsMemory

Ok well first off texturing is not a short task, and not the easiest one to learn but VERY important... There are many ways to texture but for now I will tell you the simplest way to texture an entire single object with a single image....
Ok first you want to get your object... lets just assume its general shape is a cylinder... I dont know exactly what your texturing but many things can be unwraped with a cylinder so lets go with that... What you want to do is select the object, select all the faces in sub object mode by pressing Ctrl+A or dragging the mouse over the entire thing (make sure ignore backfacing is NOT checked) Then apply the UVW Map modifier. There is a drop down list and select cylinder from the list. In the modifier window there will be the word "UVW Map" and a plus sign next to it, click the plus sign and then click "Gizmo" and then rotate it so it is in the general shape or direction of your object (just so its not really crooked or sideways) and also its best to rotate the gizmo so the green line is in the back of your object or at a un noticable part of your object... the reason for this is because this will be the seam of the texture and if its not applied perfectly you might notice it. After you have it all lined up make SURE to click the button that says "Fit" at the right under the UVW Map modifier... After this you apply a "UVW Unwrap Modifier" and click Edit like you did before, this time the object will be unwraped. You can take a screen shot and then apply the texture to the mesh in photoshop. Thats how you will paint onto the mesh. Also before you do your painting you can edit the vertecies and if some are too squeezed or distorted you can fix them. A good tool to use is the Relax tool when mapping, if there are a lot of verts close together then select them and in the options part of the UVW map editor apply the relax tool and it helps spread them out. Well once you have your mesh textured in photoshop save it and apply it to the diffuse slot in your material editor and there you have it, you will have a textured object. Hope that helped :-D