>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Low Poly

Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
Cordero - Snow Creature

Hey all!
First concept, its going to be a centaur. I just can't draw horses, so i only done the upper body. Kind of simple, i know... contains all the information i need to go on low poly

His two arms is going to be covered in ice, as well the hoofs. The "veins" or glowing bluish stuff on the surface of his skin is going to be seen on the legs as well. maybe i'll model a big spear made of ice.

This is going to be interesting, because i've never modeled animals before. And i'm not familiar with furs either...

Good luck for everyone!!
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
sound and looks funky
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Started modeling. This image shows the basic size of the muscles, and stuff
I just noticed that the guy looks a bit weird from the front, i'm gonna fix that.

Usually,i do the lowpoly model first, unwrap the uvw, and start sculpting it. maybe this time i'll change my route but i'm not sure right now.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Cordero

Awards Showcase
I decided to stick to my old way. So i started fixing the polyflow. I modeled the hand, and the hooves. I also decided to change the head, maybe i'll add horns if i have some tris left. Tomorrow i will model the weapon, and i'll define the forearm, and the legs icey surface.

The centaur's name is Liam.

Hope you like it.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
He has a nice shape to him
Old 04-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Thanks!

I see you have a thumbs up! Grats on that!
Can you link the tutorial please?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Cheers its being looked through so probably will be a couple of weeks
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Cool! Looking forward to it!

Here is a little update. I removed his eyes, he will see like bats, or dare devil I added horns instead. They are not final yet, just a place holder.

His mouth will be like a cage, sealed with icicle.

I'm gonna figure out how to create the nice lowpoly base for my future spikes on the arms, and legs.

The spear will have a little horse head sculpt made of ice, perhaps you can see where it will be

Hope you like it.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
Cordero

Awards Showcase
I still have a 2.5 k tris left. I decided not to cover the hooves with ice, because that looked bad.
I started to shape the mouth.. its kind weird now, i will try to fix that.

edit: i just noticed, that the hands sux. will fix that too.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
folktrollish

i love the "horse kick" spear
folktrollish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

I think i'll sculpt the weapon first, and see how i can manage with ice
I'm almost done with the low poly version.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Here is the wire frame, and a little over paint from front view. I decided to shape the little spike beneath the horse head on the spear like a leg for the horse. It looks bad now, because i resized it in PS.
Its better then my first attempt at concept...
I think i'll redo the mouth a little bit, and some base proportions must be changed to get a better shape.

What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
He is looking good, Crazy teeth
Old 08-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
Cordero

Awards Showcase
I always stop at this stage for a half day... dunno why, but i will not stop next time I'm fixing the mouth now, after that i'll start unwrap it.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
oh, i like his teeth that wasnt crazy in a bad way