>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Game Art

Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #46
wingman103
Back from hell

Send a message via Yahoo to wingman103
i like it man cool. i cant wait to see it textured, very nice work
wingman103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #47
VersionThirst
Falling with Style

Send a message via AIM to VersionThirst
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: First place in the thai monastery photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Won 2nd in the 'Tomb' Low Poly weekly photo modeling challenge. Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Won 2nd in the 'Bench' Low Poly weekly photo modeling challenge. Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge ''goofy gun'' Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Won third place for the low-poly undead rockstar comp 
Total Awards: 8
Thanks for the comments.

Unwrapped and created the normal map. Threw a quick base color on and created the alpha map. Next I want to bake in some AO and start on textures.
Attached Images

VersionThirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #48
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
nice poly flow, but you would have benefited more polys because you are around 8 000 tris, you could enjoy a little more, the limit is 10 000, it's true that less is better, but .....

so is still well!! nice project, I really like it!
Old 13-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #49
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Cool man

I agree with chris though, you should add some edgeloops to minimize unwanted hard edges...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #50
VersionThirst
Falling with Style

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: First place in the thai monastery photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Won 2nd in the 'Tomb' Low Poly weekly photo modeling challenge. Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Won 2nd in the 'Bench' Low Poly weekly photo modeling challenge. Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge ''goofy gun'' Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Won third place for the low-poly undead rockstar comp 
Slowly started texturing. Have the gun and lantern so far.
Attached Images

Old 14-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #51
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Maybe you could add some more design to its lantern?
Like the costume, and medal, nice style/inspiration.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #52
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Nice textures so far, looking good
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 01:40 AM   #53
wingman103
Back from hell

Send a message via Yahoo to wingman103
awesome stuff man really nice work flow i like the way you are working its very nicely handled. details are coming out nice i would love to see this one textured.
wingman103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #54
VersionThirst
Falling with Style

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the comments again.

Got through most of the texturing. I still need to add some things, and make some tweaks here and there. I think he needs to be a little more dirty if he's been out hunting treasures... plus I think he's crosseyed.
Attached Images

Old 16-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #55
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Really starting to take shape, textures are really good, not sure about the fire in the lantern though, it doesn't seem to originate from anywhere....just looks like you're got fire and nothing else.
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #56
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Looking really good. Nice texturing. he has alot of character. I think the pants could be a little more saturated. The fire in the lantern might look better if you used 2 transparent planes crossing over each other... like the trees in old racing games. From the top the planes would cross like an X.
lampshadehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #57
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
Textures are looking good dude, keep it up.

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #58
Pedro Jatobá
Pedro Jatobá

Send a message via MSN to Pedro Jatobá
you're not able to use a glow map for the lantern fire ?

Your model got a nice poly count , its looking very clean , congratulations and good lucky with his textures !
Pedro Jatobá is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #59
VersionThirst
Falling with Style

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymunky View Post
...not sure about the fire in the lantern though, it doesn't seem to originate from anywhere....just looks like you're got fire and nothing else.
Yeah, I wasn't really sure about it myself. Probably why it looks the way it does. Right now I really just have fire taking up the volume inside the lantern without much thought. I suppose if it was some kind of oil lamp, it would have one main point from where the flame rose. Maybe I'll add in some type of cylinder shape and make the fire coming from that general region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshadehead View Post
...I think the pants could be a little more saturated. The fire in the lantern might look better if you used 2 transparent planes crossing over each other... like the trees in old racing games. From the top the planes would cross like an X.
I'll up the saturation a little bit on the pants, to compensate for the highly saturated neckerchief. I still wanted to keep the overall palette fairly muted. If I make the fire coming from one point, that type of two plane method would probably work pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Jatobá View Post
you're not able to use a glow map for the lantern fire ?
I am using a glow map. I'm also using an alpha map. I just didn't show it with the other textures because they're both not much to look at.

I'm fixing up these last couple tweaks then going to start on my pedestal.
Old 23-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #60
VersionThirst
Falling with Style

Awards Showcase
Dirtied up the textures a little and changed the way the fire looks in the lantern.

Worked on the pedestal and I'll probably makes some more changes, but for now, time to start rigging.
Attached Images