>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Game Art

Old 21-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #76
capnmatt

Ah got you now. Thanks for the reply!
Old 21-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #77
Martin_x

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge ''Army of One'' 
Total Awards: 5
Wow I never new you can apply multiple uv layouts to one model. Is it really possible. And if yes, can anyone explain how to do it or provide any links?
Martin_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #78
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
you put them in different uv channels - theres a field on the unwrap panel that lets you change channels.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #79
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
okay...so we can use multiple UV regions but only 1 diffuse, 1 normal, 1 etc correct? I know this is probably a dumb question as I can't really see the point of using multiple UV layouts/channels if we only get 1 map anyway. Eh?
Old 21-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #80
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
different UVs for different maps.

it's largely useless in a lot of cases I'll grant but if you had a lot of large smooth areas you could choose to use normal map space differently or something.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #81
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
I can see where multiple UV channels could be useful, especially if you're tiling something, you could have a unique color [diffuse] for the whole thing, while repeating the normals/bump w/e for extra detail, or just a smaller map.

But so long as you only have one of any kind of map, both sides of the polygon are going to share the same coordinates on any particular map no?

Unless....you could use it to exclude one side of the polygon from your UV layout? [ie. giving said side coordinates on a second channel that you don't then generate a map for, maybe just set an override value in your engine.]

[BigToe, I'm not begrudging you or the rule, I know you got that bit from the DW, and Unearthly, etc rules, I've just never been able to get my head around that clause.]

* Lightwave * User

Last edited by Warlock 279; 21-01-2010 at 08:21 PM..
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #82
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
doesn't bother me none.

although seems like evey comp someone has the same question. I like getting these type questions out of the way now, so when Dom War 5 starts(soon) our team is ahead of the curve.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #83
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
DOM 5 when is it i would like to enter that if i can. Is there a 10,000 tri limit on that too
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #84
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
word on the street is it starts in March. Not sure what the regulations will be.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 21-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #85
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Can I ask a question? With the shirt I am doing I want to put buttons on it but going to model them seperately. Do you just add them to the high res model when it comes to the bake?

Does that make sense?

Cheers
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #86
capnmatt

Another quick question guys...am I right in assuming that the character's weapons etc all come on the single texture map? I might have to take my guy's gun off him if so!
Old 22-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #87
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Tarik2d: everything on the low poly should be on the hi gh poly. If your pushing the tri limit, then remove the buttons from the low poly but keep them on the high so you can use them for the normal map.

capnmatt: everything is included in the texture map. Everything.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 22-01-2010, 03:30 AM   #88
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Speaking of DW, there are the first murmurings of it on GA. Some sort of preliminary concept art contest.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #89
gauravcg
Tessellated....

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Is it necessary to pose my character?
Or just T pose will work?

Low Poly Props (Updated)

gauravcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #90
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
you don't have to pose, but if you don't, it will look as if you didn't finish.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life