>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Game Art

Old 19-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
joecyriac

Joe Cyriac - Indiana Jones - Gorefang

I'm late!

Started on this guy today, hope to finish him in time. He's a goblin scout explorer. Hope to get a lot more done tomorrow, will start on props and a basic retopology. Crits are welcome.

joecyriac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Interesting twist on the subject, looking pretty cool so far, good proportions
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
joecyriac

Update

Phew. Finished repology, he's at about 9700 tris. Added props, starting the detailing tomorrow. Crits welcome as always.

chunkymunky: Thanks, hope you like the update.

Old 20-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Mclean

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
ohhh this is looking interesting dude, hope you get it done on time!

HELP OUR LITTLE TEAM OF 4 MAKE THE GAME OF OUR DREAMS
Mclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
LemonW

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Lost Jungle - Low Poly (Game Art) - 2nd place - Indiana Jones: LemonW 
wow, an interesting charator in this subject,nice guy.
you are fast
LemonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I'm liking the props, some need to be smoothed more don't they like the back pack and the mace (if that's that it's called lol) Looking good
Old 21-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
Liking the big ass machete/knife, looking forward to more.

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
joecyriac

Update 02

LemonW, xxxcubanxxx: Glad you guys are liking it!
Mclean: That makes two of us! I hope I finish it, I'm pushing pretty hard. I figure a week should do for baking, texturing and posing. Fingers crossed.
chunkymunky: Yep, most of the props are just blocked out. I wanted to try detailing in ZBrush. I've started on a few.

Here's an update. Nearly done with the body and face, started work on a few costume elements too. Final details like scars and pores still to be done. Crits welcome as always.

Old 22-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Wow, I'll be totally blunt. At first I was a little skeptical about this project, but now I can see it's coming along really well. What a unique twist on the concept at hand.

I'm glad you got rid of the giant sword thing, it was a little too Cloud-Strife-Buster-Sword, which I think we can agree has been done to death. This looks great though. The design of the mace is especially well done. I'll be watching this one.

Some things to think about:
I don't know that I'm sold on the loincloth idea. Seems a bit.. I dunno... like it doesn't fit. However, if you wanna stick with the idea, consider having the belt impress on his skin a bit. He's pretty rotund and I assume that the string would dig in just a little bit.

Keep up the good work!

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
joecyriac

SnappedStrings: With the time left, I'm skeptical too, heh.

Yeah, I figured the sword was too cliche, I might try an axe-spade, which might fit with treasure hunting better. The loincloth will change, you're right, it doesn't mesh with the rest of his 'tech'. Any ideas? I think something like a leather diaper thing, maybe. Also, need to add more props, I'm thinking a boomerang, a warhorn, maybe drums. Also need to finish sculpting today. Waaaargh.
Old 22-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Great character, brilliant style and execution.

My main criticism is that the neck is far too thin. It doesn't look like it would support his head, or allow for much movement. If you imagine him tilting his head, it wouldn't look correct when in that position.
The Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Awards Showcase
Looking better and better with every post, love the detailing on the skull cap and the shoes at the moment, i'm really liking the direction you'r taking with this entry and can't wait to see this little guy textured too
Old 22-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
joecyriac

Update 03

The Prime: Totally agree about the neck. This slipped my mind to be honest, I thought about it initially and thought it was alright. Now I dunno. I'll try and go back and rework it. Hope you like the update.
chunkymunky: Thank you! How's this looking?

Finished most of the detailing. Still have some work on the body, face and the loin cloth (which I'm sticking with, for now). Also unwrapped him, and did a test bake on most of the elements. There are a few bake errors, but I think it's a good start. Here's how he looks in the Marmoset engine. He's at 10,600 tris right now, I'll cut that down by quite a bit.

Crits are welcome as always.

Old 23-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Awards Showcase
Love it, looking great
Old 23-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Martin_x

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge ''Army of One'' 
Total Awards: 5
looks amazing so far
Martin_x is offline   Reply With Quote