>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Animation Challenge

Old 13-12-2007, 07:12 AM   #196
MaggieQue

Send a message via MSN to MaggieQue
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation 
Total Awards: 3
Next title does not require any modeling skill.

"Animate a cube"

Sad Cube and Happy Cube.
MaggieQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #197
MikeYork

Does anyone know when the new challenge begins? Im a little confused on the way things run here. Is there a set schedule or is it more loose than that?
MikeYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #198
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
it's super loose, or at least it has been for the last few months.

Everyone who used to jion, left till it was just one person, Maggie, so I let her make her own guidelines.

I'll try and get everything back to normal as soon as I can.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:57 AM   #199
MikeYork

Ohh ok no rush :-) just curious... If its super loose can I throw out a suggestion for the next challenge?

I just graduated and I have all sorts of free time lately so I am amped to work on new stuff. Im entering in the 11 Second Club this month and I also got a last minute entry in last month.

Looking forward to the next challenge :-)
Old 08-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #200
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
you know, I was thinking maybe we could do a cross platform type competition. We could take the 11 second club guide lines and time limit and make it our own, then we could use this section of the forum as our little hang out to get crits and what-not before we submit our final animations.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 14-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #201
MikeYork

BiG ToE-3DT,

I like your idea. I hope its not redundant, since they already have a forum to get critiques ect but I was thinking we could get some different ideas and critique over in this forum.

I am almost done with my 1st blocking pass on this months clip so I will post a WIP
as soon as possible so I can get some critique from all the fellow artists here in the 3dtotal forums :-) Its good to be back!
Old 16-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #202
WebWolf
Speed Modeler

Send a message via ICQ to WebWolf
Hi,
Some time ago I've started the AnimationRound here at the Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg in Ludwigsburg, Germany. It's always on Sunday, 2pm-6pm :-)
The animations we do there are some kind of speed animations because we've only got about 4 hours to do it.
You may have a look on the animations I've done:
http://wk-speedpaintings.blogspot.com/
Cheers
Wolfram

----------
WebWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #203
MaggieQue

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation 
Hi webwolf, then where do u guys get ur rigged model?

How many members joining each contest?
Old 17-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #204
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
ideas

well Big ToE sir
heres what i think have nevr been tried.

1)a dragon taking flight and then using fire breath on the desert floor below,trying to turn it to glass

2)a character powering up a sacred sword.

3)animating normal goku to his super saiyan self in 3d( transform)

4)a finger sized transformer toy changing form.

5)a half dragon changing from human to dragon

6)a closed flower opening up

well more ideas when u update me that iam thinking on right track , cause it wont be of any use giving u ideas that r not appropriate

regards
do reply
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #205
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
they are good ideas, the problem is, this is more of a animation contest, not modeling, so whatever the subject matter is, it needs to be simple so that everyone can make it. That, or someone can export a base mesh as a obj then send it to everyone so everyone can ues it.

I'm guessing you have a gradon model, a sword, a goku model, so if you want to export those, we might be able to do something sooner or later.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 18-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #206
MaggieQue

Awards Showcase
Hi Big-toe. I have a question.

Do u think that a good animator require good modelling and rigging skill?
Old 18-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #207
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
modeling, I would say no, rigging, yes. In most cases, someone will hand you a model for you to rigg and animate. Plus, if you think about it, who better to animate using a rigg you built better than you, the person that built it.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 19-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #208
WebWolf
Speed Modeler

Send a message via ICQ to WebWolf
MaggieQue: Last time it were 6-7 people joining my AnimationRound, but most of the time it's about 4-5. We take free rigged models from the internet, e.g. have a look at this site: http://www.11secondclub.com/resources/

Aby Arty: your ideas doesn't seem to be animation practices but hell of special effects animation!
As I understand this topic we are looking for little movements that can be animated (with characters) in very short time.
Like walking down stairs, jumping and so on.

Big ToE-3DT: the companies I know, there are riggers or TDs that do the rigging.

----------
WebWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 02:26 AM   #209
Bob Marley
Need to work more...

Send a message via MSN to Bob Marley
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
Hey, I dont know about that, i dont think you really need to know anything about rigging to be a good animator. Its really hard to be very good in 2 different areas, thats why its better that a rigger do all the rigging and the animator take care of the rest. Speciallising in one area is the key, or at least that s what i think : )

About some ideas, well i think "a character powering up a sacred sword" is pretty straight foward and any body can do it, theirs a lot a free rigs out their, all we need is a sword, I dont really want to model it, but if no body want too, but every body is happy about this idea, well i dont mind modelling it.
Bob Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #210
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
big ToE :ahan i get u now , u mean that the idea should be thought on lines of a available models which can be animated. right?

webwolf: hmm ye but ,still i was trying to put frwrd smthng i think is challengng enough.

now u both tell me if we can try on animating a model of a hand
i mean trying to portray intense expresions wth the palm and wrist only

i think hand is simple enough and its easy to make it difficult too.

what say?

we can sure get a hand model some where.
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote