>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Animation Challenge

Old 23-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #91
DerekSc
the darkest knight

Awards Showcase
Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation 
Total Awards: 6
The problem I'm thinking of in my head is the rig, and how it will translate (if at all) between Max and Maya. Well, only one way to find out, I'll export Maximus when he's done and you guys can see if he works or not. Or... maybe just a tentacle and if that works we can see about 'mechs. (what the hell would you guys want Maximus for anyways?)
DerekSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #92
Diabolos
Evil MAYA useR

Awards Showcase
Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation 
Total Awards: 3
I can tell you now that it won't work. Right now it's only possible to import/export geometry, Maya has it's own joint chain and IK/FK language, which has furthmore been updated since version 6.5.

D,
With odd old ends stolen forth of holy writ,
And seem I a saint, when most I play the Devil."
- William Shakespeare

Diabolos' Windows Live Space [My Online Gallery] UPDATED: May 05, 2007
Diabolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #93
martimus
jumping or spinning?

Send a message via MSN to martimus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekSc
I've heard quadrapeds are harder to do than bipeds. I animated a quadraped once but I didn't have to do much with him, so I can't really comment one way or the other.

Ideas:

MECH BATTLE
Two mechs (any number of legs you want, or tracks like a tank) duking it out with lasers, PPCs, missles, pickled onion launchers, whatever. Two mechs enter, one mech leaves. Something like the ATSTs from Star Wars aren't too hard to do (two legs, a couple of turrets and that's it), or you can go full blown Battletech Warhammers and stuff.

- or -

TENTACLE CREATURE ATTACKS
Thinking along the lines of the Kracken in Pirates of the Carribean or the Sarlaac in Return of the Jedi, some sort of tentacled creature attacks an object, person, animal. The person with the most suckers on their model wins (just kidding). Environmental effects are your choice (splashing water, spewing blood, rain, etc...).

(Just thinking about it, War of the Worlds combined both of those challenges.)

Derek your ideas are interesting but I dont think appropriate. They are a little too large scale. Most of the people (including me) wouldnt be able to handle any sort of decent battle scene in two weeks. Freespace probably could, but he is some kind of freak cyborg with max installed into his very brain.

Best leave it to small demonstratable animation skills.

Why not have a different principal each challenge. each challenge will demonstrate one of the 12 different principles, squash/stretch, follow through, movement arcs etc.

Then move into emotions. A challenge for each emotion. Anger, Sadness, Happiness. It wouldnt have to be human, you could make a box appear happy if you have the skills.

That way we all learn as animators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inveni0
Freelance is almost just another word for "unemployed"
martimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #94
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
yeah the bones wont export, but the mesh should.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day

Last edited by BiG ToE-3DT; 23-08-2006 at 09:42 PM..
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 09:41 PM   #95
DerekSc
the darkest knight

Awards Showcase
Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation 
Total Awards: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimus
Why not have a different principal each challenge. each challenge will demonstrate one of the 12 different principles, squash/stretch, follow through, movement arcs etc.

Then move into emotions. A challenge for each emotion. Anger, Sadness, Happiness. It wouldnt have to be human, you could make a box appear happy if you have the skills.
Yeah, I agree that my ideas are ambitious for a 2 week comp (maybe ok for a month long competition like the low poly challenge).
I really like the suggestion of doing the basic principles and emotions, that's a great idea Martimus!
DerekSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #96
Diabolos
Evil MAYA useR

Awards Showcase
Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT
yeah the bones wont export, but the mesh should.
what kind of model - creature or mech
- William Shakespeare

Old 23-08-2006, 09:44 PM   #97
Diabolos
Evil MAYA useR

Awards Showcase
that was weird did you just change your text as i was quoting you???? you just asked for a model to be donated....

D,
- William Shakespeare

Old 23-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #98
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
yeah, I had to make a change. But if we do get a model that we all can mess with, we would need to agree on what it is we do next.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 23-08-2006, 11:04 PM   #99
martimus
jumping or spinning?

Well, everone would have to rig it differently as well. I dont see the point.

Who cares about the model? Just make it out of tubes and boxes

Quote:
Old 23-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #100
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
well apart of animating, is the rigg. So it would be cool to see how everyone would setup the same model.

Everyone could learn something from that.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 23-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #101
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
idea, what if we did one just on rigging. No animation, just a demo on the rigg, and how it moves.

The end render would be a basic quick render, showing everything you normally would not see.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 24-08-2006, 02:14 AM   #102
Diabolos
Evil MAYA useR

Awards Showcase
well, it's hard for me to give input as I am a total beginner (you have all seen my very first two ani's) so I do not know what is important. One point seems to always keep coming back, which is we need to start from the basics. I would have to personally say, that I as a beginner with the help of our fellow members did a pretty good job and I enjoyed animating the characters. I never said I didn't like the pinball challenge, but that is something in my opinion more for a scripter, but it will definitely be an experience hand animating the steelie (it has been occupying my free thoughts for days now on how I am going to tackle this one) and I think that is the point of the challenge.

I am sticking with my idea with a quadraped - a dog would be funny. But if we need more hip and arc practice - then I am ready for animation aerobics...

D,
- William Shakespeare

Old 24-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #103
martimus
jumping or spinning?

Hmm..

Quote:
Old 24-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #104
Diabolos
Evil MAYA useR

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimus
Hmm..
lol - martimus
- William Shakespeare

Old 24-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #105
martimus