>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Digital Painting

Old 30-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
Abominable Snowman

Digital Painting Challenge no. 04
SubjectAbominable Snowman

Thread Naming: Your Name – Abominable Snowman
Keep all questions in this thread

Idea:

Also know as the Yeti…

A mythological creature of unknown origins, this creature is said to be over 8 feet tall and have the strength of well over 100 men. Notorious for being a man eater; yet identified as a friendly vegetarian. With all the rumors, it’s hard to say what is real, or just rumor. With no real evidence of its existence this beast may stay a mystery. Up until now, no one has seen this beast. Until now.

Requirements:

Your job if for this challenge is to depict an Abominable Snowman. This is your idea of what it would look like. Mean or friendly, alone, or with family. Sketches are fine for your works in progress, but the final image needs to be fully rendered.

Deadline:

Sunday 11:59 pm (GMT) February 28th

Deliverables:

All entrants are required to provide the following in the final entry:
• A work in progress (WIP) sheet
• A final image

WIP Sheet:

A WIP sheet is a compilation of images showcasing your creative process, from the initial sketches to the final image.

Final Image Sizes:

For the judging stage we will accept submissions as .JPG files at 72dpi – screen resolution – at approx. 800-1000 pixels wide. All submitted images must, however, be available in print resolution: 300dpi – print resolution – at approx. 3000-4000 pixels wide, or above. In case you win, you may be featured in 2dArtist Magazine.

Restrictions:

-All images, including concepts, sketches, 3D assets, etc. must be made specifically for this contest.

-No teams or groups – everything must be made by one person.

-Keep gore and nudity to a decent level, no explicit scenes.

-Winners may be asked to cooperate in an interview about themselves and their work, and provide detailed ‘making of’ articles accompanied by high-resolution work in progress stills for 2DArtist Magazine after the competition.

-You must create a W.I.P thread to show your work in progress

Prizes:

1st Place
e-on software - Vue 8 xStream - worth $1495
Gnomon - Any training DVD (download) - worth approx $60
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 12 month subscription - worth $40
3DTotal - t-shirt

*3DTotal t-shirts can be swapped for a 3DTotal ebook if you already own one

2nd Place
Focal Press - Any 2 books - worth approx $60-$100
3DTotal - Any 3 ebooks - worth approx $45
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20
3DTotal - t-shirt

3rd Place
3DTotal - Any 1 ebook - worth $15
3DTotal - t-shirt

4th Place

3DTotal - t-shirt

5th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
CarlosNCT
Really good boy

wow!

I like this theme!
CarlosNCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
ah.. I like it too but I also do the low poly game challenge...a choice must be done because the two may be difficult.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
you can use the concept from this challenge for the game art challenge.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
yes Toe it is a good idea but I'm already gone in my sketches and I decided for this challenge to mix 3D and 2D (obviously if that is possible within the rules!?) I'll open my thread with my first sketch...
Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
since the title of this topic, will the winning image be an abomination
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
I'm on it, not really a surprise, but won't get a lot of time this month...
I think there will be lot's of fast sketches.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #8
Somepantsman
Don't Do It

i'm in

i started way to late on the last one but i'm here early on this one.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Arteyo

I'm participating in this contest too and will try even better than last time. I love painting characters more than landscapes.
Thank you for the great contest 3dtotal and great prizes too.
Arteyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
CHAO5

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 5
wow thats nice... i“m in game!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
Resenhista

Send a message via MSN to Resenhista
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Oh man I hope I'll have enough time to enter this one! This is so promising!!

http://resenhista.deviantart.com
Resenhista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
dark-blast
Headbangers

lets start doing some research and development I learned a lot from last challenge
http://dark-blast.deviantart.com
dark-blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #13
WhiteGuardian

Awards Showcase
Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: 01-04-2010 08:07 AM  	 Edit  Remove   	 chris_solo 	won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. 
Total Awards: 1
Seem like i start enjoy and love this forum. With a interesting theme each month.
Hope i can participate in this comp. While celebrate Chinese New Year this 14th Feb.
WhiteGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
animationutz
Animation is life!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
disapperared for a while. now im back... and ready to paint a snowman.... oooooohhhh yeah!
"You dont' do it for money, or you're a monkey. You don't think of the bottom line, or you're a monkey. You don't think of it in terms of hourly wage, yearly wage, even lifetime wage, or you're a monkey. In the end you don't even do it for love, although it would be nice to think so. You do it because to not do it is suicide."
-Stephen King
animationutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
tedyeah

OK, I'm new to challenges, forums, etc. So, I have a silly question: What exactly qualifies as a digital painting? I'm more of a 3D artist than 2D, but all modeling sections of this competition are either "speed" or "low poly." So, can a digital painting include 3D elements (i.e. models and elements created and rendered in 3DS Max, ZBrush, etc.), or does it have to be strictly 2D (Photoshop, Painter, etc.)? My workflow consists of primarily 3D objects and scenes composited and tweaked in 2D. Would my work be accepted in this category?

Thanks!
tedyeah is offline   Reply With Quote