>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Digital Painting

Old 05-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
wargrafix
The alpha and the omega

Wargrafix-Abominable Snowman

Wow, its been quite a while. I really think this will present some of the more challenging renditions of this iconic figure.

Let me throw in a little something I threw together to get my mind in the frame of thought.

________
GLASS BONGS

Last edited by wargrafix; 04-05-2011 at 03:29 PM..
wargrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
wargrafix
The alpha and the omega

Ah, no critique?
Here is the first stage of the piece.

________
LovelyWendie

Last edited by wargrafix; 04-05-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Omega Cell
IT PACKS A WALLOP

Looking good! I'd make his hammer bigger. The flow of his fur looks really good. Hands need to be a little larger. Keep it up!
Omega Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
wargrafix
The alpha and the omega

Thanks for the comment.
I wasn't happy with much of the previous concept such as composure and even the angle. So I've decided to change things a bit. Tell me what you think so far.

I wanted something that was a bit heavy on composure. I made a save before the yeti because i am unsure if he may be too big in the picture. He is massive and I really want to show how big his scale is in comparison to a human.

The one thing i want to correct is the girl's right leg. something went a little off there.

________
VAPORIZER WHOLESALE

Last edited by wargrafix; 04-05-2011 at 03:31 PM..
Old 15-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Randize
The Passerby

Send a message via MSN to Randize
I think it's the way how the ass is facing and how the knee is bent. Try to be in that pose and see if it's natural.

Anyway, is that a DILDO THERE?!!!

Randize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
i think its one of those back dildos i've heard about. only out in japan
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Total Awards: 3
Kids kids kids
bakuryu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
wargrafix
The alpha and the omega

Christ. It was supposed to be an oxygen bottle and hose, but looks likes it got some weird impressions. I decided to go with a simpler pose. Lets get comments in her so i can focus on the yeti this rounds since he is supposed to be the center piece.

________
Marijuana Vaporizers

Last edited by wargrafix; 04-05-2011 at 03:31 PM..
Old 16-02-2010, 04:41 AM   #9
Randize
The Passerby

Try to break down into simpler shape wargrafix. You need some perspective understanding tho. Then if you know the anatomy structure, you can simple draw without a reference, not saying that you shouldn't.

I did some overpaint, not sure what's her expression. And of course I didn't construct it from simpler form, I just draw on top first. We have the ability to judge whether things are going right or wrong, just feel it. When you make mistakes, no matter how long you spend on it, change it. Otherwise you'll screw your judgment. Hope it helps.

Old 16-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
wargrafix
The alpha and the omega

Ah, thank you. Piece of her leg structure is buried in the snow, so what is seen is not the whole hip and legs. I agree with the hand placement. The jacket is also influencing the overall shape because its not completely fitted. I need to better way to show that snow is blocking the lower half.

Here is an adjustment. Better?

________
LovelyWendie

Last edited by wargrafix; 04-05-2011 at 03:32 PM..
Old 16-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
Randize
The Passerby

Lol sorry, it's always difficult to translate one's vision to another. They way I imagine this thing is going is that the female slides down on an icy surface (that's the reason I'm giving her a 'pick axe'). Otherwise how could she fall on snow like that?

I understand how the clothes are thick, just showing you the breakdown, as the proportion is a bit weird,. It's also better to reveal partial of the face than to see the back of her head I suppose? The ass is still looking weird consider how the leg placement is.

Well just stating my opinion, don't take it too hard.

Old 16-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
wargrafix
The alpha and the omega

No, no, critique is a good thing because, like the hand and arm thing, there may be issues that i may have missed.

1) The pic axe was intentional merely as a defensive measure. Although, i catch what you are saying. The sweet part of the technique is that nothing is set in stone. The brushes combo i use in painter allow me to make dramatic changes without having to impact too many things. Everything is done on a single canvas. no layers

2) I took a few liberties with the anatomy to give it a more stressed state. I decided not to show the face of the girl because the star in this pic is the Yeti. While she is in the foreground, the anonymity of the girl helps to suggest that its an event which is completely unexpected.

As for the yeti, or painting style, what's your perspective?
________
Justin bieber

Old 16-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Randize
The Passerby

The yeti is coming out nice, the other shoulder is a little off but it's still rough, so I know you are not complete with that. But of course you can try to add some visual design, stylize your yeti and what not. It's good to come up with fresh design.

Majorly, most are still in black and white, are you trying to keep it that way?

Old 16-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
wargrafix
The alpha and the omega

For the yeti, i left it in there for critique purpose. If the bulky one looks better then all i have to do is add mass to the other shoulder. Its going to incorporate some elements from the second concept.

I was thinking of that, the color. Aside from her hair, I was thinking of keeping her mostly black/gray. I still have to do the shoes, and I'm dreading that, lol.

For the Yeti, i may experiment with the blue for the skin and if that doesn't work, try for blue skies to balance out the color. The next stage has to be background, and I want to do something interesting, and may use reference material for mountains perhaps?

One problem i'm facing is my laptop from which I'm working on is hitting its limit due to image size and res. Hint: 4960 * 3425.
________
Medical Marijuana Patients

Old 16-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
Randize
The Passerby

You can work with small resolution first, as I did. Then come to finalizing, only you increase the resolution. well still depend entirely with your workflow.