>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Digital Painting

Old 10-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #16
CLP

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge the Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
well i've done a bit of detail on the dudes runnin but i dont think they're quite right, need to do a little research on winter gear. it also feels like theres a lack of colour.

@Linc: I had seen that image before lol, but i didnt realise mine looked like it until u mentioned that, happens a lot with my pics, probably bein subconsciously influenced......
Attached Images

CLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #17
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Your work is always so inspirating, hard to keep da kids?
Great job here!

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Total Awards: 3
VERY nice man! Just one thing i noticed, the guy on the left, shouldn't the other side of his face be lit? I mean if he is running back out towards the entrance then that is where the light source is coming from no?
bakuryu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #19
CLP

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge the Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! 
@washka: thanks man, im lookin forward to seein urs!

@bakuryu06: cheers for the crit dude, i didnt think about it like that but its certainly food for thought. at the moment the light source is a hole in the cave above the snowman, where the snow is comin in but perhaps i havent made this obvious enough. Also a light source from the direction u mention might give an added dimension to the image. will try this out as i work on the piece some more.

unfortunately no wip tonight, was too busy on the bad company 2 demo lol
Old 12-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #20
Omega Cell
IT PACKS A WALLOP

What do you think you're doing playing games? : P

Looking good..although the kids seem a little out of place, I think it's because they lack a similar texure to the big daddy. I'd rough them up a little and give them some stray fur.
Omega Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
Brussel_Sprout

Yeah awesome stuff, keep it rockin'!
Brussel_Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #22
Seale

Really good! I like it!
Seale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #23
prosn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
it wz jst astonishing buddy!.............
keep up d gud wrk....!

Facebook Page-
www.facebook.com/prosnarts
prosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #24
Resenhista

Send a message via MSN to Resenhista
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge  
Total Awards: 3
Just awesome!! This is one of my favorites! The result is getting too good! And the faces are just like I was expecting...pure terror! haha

Great work!!

http://resenhista.deviantart.com
Resenhista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 02:30 AM   #25
CLP

Awards Showcase
Smile

Thanks for all the comments guys! Got all the main things done now, guess all thats left is tweaking...unless i feel like makin more babies

@Omega Cell:thanks for the crit, tried to rough up the little guys a bit but i didnt wanna go overboard. might do a bit more in when tweaking.

@Brussel_Sprout, Seale, prosn, Resenhista: thanks guys!

must sleep now, too much food.
Attached Images

Old 20-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #26
sarN

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #96 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place is SMC #36 
Total Awards: 9
this is awesome but im extremely confused by the lighting. the guy on the lefts face is perfectly lit up by the flashlight, but the flashlight seems to cast no light on the snow beast or babies. also, it seems there is a big hole in the ceiling lighting that whole area, but i would like to see that cave in the back get dark faster, and make more contrast.

i know it would be difficult but i think the whole image would really stand out and be frightening if the snow beast was lit in the back by subtle light from the ceiling, and the guys flashlight casting the most light on it, which would also make it the brightest part and main focus of the picture.
sarN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #27
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
sir too much difference in parent and off spring , the parent looks more like an ice based demon.

try making the parent an adult version of the kids with red eyes.
give him a lil pot belly.

and humans could have brown furry coats with crystalised ice on them.

the cave could use a lil more depth.
the cave and the yetis look like one image and the men another.

reduce the yetis size to show them a lil more far off . right now it looks like the children have already caught the men.
the distance cant be made out.

show both stalactites and stalagmites ,a few off the ground should be taller then the men ,u cud also showone of them hiding behind it.

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #28
CLP

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the crits aby arty and sarN.

I will most certainly take em into account as i work towards a final edition in the next few days.
Old 21-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #29
CLP

Awards Showcase
an update with some adjustments accordin to some suggestions by crits, I like the torch light now and the mood of the piece is a little better i think.

Still got tweaks to do here and there.
Attached Images

Old 21-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #30
sarN

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #96 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place is SMC #36 
Total Awards: 9
HELL YEAH! THAT'S what i'm talking about!
sarN is offline   Reply With Quote