>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Game Art

Old 18-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
Steam Punk Survivor

Game Art Challenge 03
Subject Steam Punk Survivor

Thread Naming: Your Name – Steam Punk– Character’s Name
Keep all questions in this thread

30 years later…

The bombings have stopped. No more gun fire can be heard. The screaming has all but faded away. But the cries remain. The cries of the survivors are all that’s left in this world. You want to know what happened, just take a look around you. The cities of our once magnificent land tells a story of once was. In this new day, the survivors try to start anew. With no electricity, nothing is how it used to be. Like the early caveman, they find new ways to handle old jobs. Wind, water, fire, at one point, all was taken for granted; now taken as life or death. It’s been 30 years since the last bomb dropped, many have died since then, but not you .This is how you live now, Steam Punk Survivor.

DUE DATE: January 31st, 11:59 pm GMT - SUNDAY

Idea:

Create and model a Steam Punk Survivor. Time period is open; character can be any race, male or female. Use of technology is NOT ok.

Poly limit:

10,000 Tris Total. You can do whatever you want with these, just don’t get carried away and don’t exceed the 10,000 Tri Limit. Remember, the limit tells you where to stop, there is no minimum, so use as much of the limit as you see fit.

Textures:

-1 x 2048 Color Map
-1 x 2048 Reflection Map
-1 x 2048 Specular Map
-1 x 2048 Specular Color Map
-1 x 2048 Normal Map
-1 x 2048 Bump Map
-1 x 2048 Opacity (transparency) Map
-1 x 2048 Glow map
-1 x 2048 Glossiness map.

You can not chop it up into multiple smaller textures.

Textures can be hand-painted or you can use photographic sources. Do what you do.

Pedestals/Stands:

You do not have to create one, but if you do, understand that there is no texture or tri limit. You can go as crazy as you want, or keep it basic.

Restrictions:

-2-sided pollies with two separate uv channels are permitted.

-Joint entries are prohibited for this challenge

-Your entry must be specifically created for this challenge. Do not use any pieces from previous personal works.

-There are no lighting restrictions.

-All Game Engines are allowed.

-You must create a W.I.P Thread to show off your work in progress.

Final Pictures:

Required In The Final Post (1 post per entry):

- 1 x Winning shot. This image should consist of your character depicted in its most awesome angle and pose.

- 1 x Beauty shot of your character. Feel free to put multiple angles of your character or just one big version or your character on this page. You are free to do whatever post effects you like on this image. Be careful how you do this though, simple is often better. It’s up to you.

- 1 x Construction shot of your character. Feel free to put multiple wire frame shots or just one big wire frame shot on this page. It is up to you.

- 1 x Texture sheet that includes all your used sheets squeezed into "one" sheet.

- Concept Sheet (if you have one)

Prizes:

1st Place
Grand prize - Houdini Master - worth $7995!!
Topogun - Single user license - worth $100
e-on software - Ozone 4.0 - worth $295
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 12 month subscription - worth $40
Focal Press - Any 2 books - worth approx $60-$100
3DTotal - Any 3DTotal book
3DTotal - t-shirt

* please note 3DTotal books are Digital Art Masters and Digital Painting Techniques Series only
**3DTotal t-shirts can be swapped for 3DTotal ebooks if you already own one

2nd Place

Gnomon - Any training DVD (download) - worth approx $60
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20
3DTotal - t-shirt

3rd Place
3DTotal - Any 1 ebook - worth $15
3DTotal - t-shirt

4th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt

5th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt

Good luck everyone!
BiG ToE.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
Im in, Not doing good in the current voting so might try this one. Whats steam punk btw? Also it is a character compition right? When you say no technology, can he have a wrist watch for example or not?

Cheers
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Fbios

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly January 2010 challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Can i create a charecter with pet?
Fbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
yes.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Lord_doin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
want to ask the same question as Tarik, what exactly is steampunk?

Software used:
Blender 3D 2.56 Beta
The GIMP
Lord_doin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
buzz001

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Steam Punk, is a style that comes from the Industrial Revolution Late 1800's. The use of locomotive and machinery that was run by "steam". Great movie to get a feel for this is "Steam Boy" is an anime and I'm sure you can find it anywhere on the web or digital download from NetFlix.
Also check http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/steampunk/ this was a massive online art competition about a year ago. Digital technology was not created then but technology was massive gears and belts that operated mass production lines that their fuel was steam. Hey, Toe correct anything here if I'm steping out of bounce as per the challenge limitations.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Specialboy

u guy have read the story ? imagine that after all of that wars somebody survived and how it would look like now .
but there is not mention is that character should to have weapon or not ? if the character need to have one that can not be gun or some modern weapon coz in the story says guns are gone ...

i personal think that that must to have weapon coz he can not survive in that wild world with out it , but to be something like puck weapons ( Club Weapon ,axe , similar ) ... this remember me on some movie ...

it looks i was need to build my PUNKCUT in this challenge

however i`ll think some other one

best luck to everyone ....
Specialboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Mr.fE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
I might go for the sculpting one this time...I've already won the Steampunk myths and legends competition last year!!! (team video...I was just doing the camera tracking and some compositing...hehehe)

btw bioshock, the videogame, is a wonderful resource...

gotta think something...it didn't went any good the armageddon comp
Mr.fE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
buzz001

Awards Showcase
The "EMET" project was great Mr.fE. One of my favorite entries with beautiful matte paintings. Yes, bioshock is great resource, but my negative is that you end up playing the game and forgetting everything else...LOL
Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
Mr.fE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz001 View Post
The "EMET" project was great Mr.fE. One of my favorite entries with beautiful matte paintings. Yes, bioshock is great resource, but my negative is that you end up playing the game and forgetting everything else...LOL
thanks man! I've just told that to the others and we are glad that you liked it!
Mr.fE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
Specialboy

oh..... now i read the post from buzz001 and it looks like i get understand the topic wrong , or not ?
Big TOE tell us what kind of characters to model ... human beings or machines ? i get confused now ?
Specialboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
Alonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
Use of technology is NOT ok.
well what does that mean? sorry for my lack of appreciation..
Alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
buzz001

Awards Showcase
The one part of this challenge which changes traditional steampunk art is that in this world everything is destroyed by war. So, everything must be created from something else making steampunk almost cave like. While everything that would come up in a google search is more of a new renaissance in human industrial evolution.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
Ihazard

como esta bitches!

sorry wanted to say that all day I watched anchorman earlier xD I'm in lolol, kinda confused where it says 'technology is not allowed' but isn't steampunk all about technology? or is it like no modern technology which has electricity?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
Alonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihazard View Post
kinda confused where it says 'technology is not allowed' but isn't steampunk all about technology? or is it like no modern technology which has electricity?
you are not alone, I'm still confused
Alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote