>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #136
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Total Awards: 2
Astaroth: In Max Id use a SPLINE IK rig for chains, just check tuts, its very easy and totaly suited to the job.

Question - my fog is showing black in MR with Sunlight/Sky - physical sky on. Seems to act like fog in every other way except its colour - any one know what might be wrong.

Secondly - Id realy like a glow/halo effect in my Mental Ray renders - how would I achieve this effect quickly and effectively. Ive tried volume lights with some success but wondered if there was an accepted effective GLOW method for MR.

Cheers in advance.
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #137
MarioC

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
thanks steamtrooper, i'll try with the splineIK then

for your problems, since your are using mr sun\sky are you using an exposure control? if it's so, it's showing black cause the color of the fog is underexposed, by the exposure control, same should go for glowing object, i don't know what way you are using for creating fog, but if it's possible to add a texture to the color slot of the fog, just give it an output map with an high output value, and try to see if it works

for the glow you could use a glare shader put on the output channel of the renderer itself, but it must be unhide, otherwise it will not appear in the map list
Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #138
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Thanks, I was hoping it wouldnt be Exposure Control but oh well!, Ill try your work around, much appreciated and hope the spline works out for you, it should.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #139
MarioC

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
for you max users out there:

light maps. Not as good as an AO map, but it sure does help.

All you do is apply your normal map to the mesh. Open up the render to texture window. "Add" a light map, change the map size to whatever it is you want. Then hit render. It will use the normal maps info in the render. You can then take that render add it as a layer in photoshop and overlay/mutiply/darken to get the look you want. You can always use the oppacity as well if the outcome is too strong for your liking.

Another thing to keep in mind while trying this trick, adding lights into your scene. Setup your lights and do a few test renders till you get what you like, then render out another lightmap and see how the two differ.
are you sure of this toe? i've tried it, but it don't work, have you used mr or the scanline to render it???

btw, i'd have a question, can i use different smoothing group? i've had some really big problem with the blade of the sword using only one smoothing group, even with xnormal T_T
Old 12-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #140
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
when I did it, I used the regular scanline. Also, make sure you use the basic default material from max. Apply that material to your mesh, then, add the normal map. With lights, then render it out.

smoothing groups, you can use as many as you want.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #141
MarioC

Awards Showcase
yeah, it worked, thanks toe ^^
Old 13-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #142
kravo

Send a message via MSN to kravo
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
could anybody tell me why does zbrush always crash when I attempt to use the colors to texture command? (only above 2K texture size...)
HEEEEELP!
kravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #143
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
at a guess... not enough memory

I remember it happening to me at either 2048 or 4096px on my laptop which is 32bit with 1gb and 512mb gfx memory

it doesn't happen on my desktop which has lots more of everything

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #144
kravo

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
ok, I tried to make a 1k texture map. It doesn't crash, but it doesn't respond either (I let it run for a 30 mins..)
I have 4gigs of memory, zbrush takes up 2gb, and then nothing happens. cpu load is at 25%... (q6600)
it did make a 256x256 map only that's not quite enough, I guess....
Old 13-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #145
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Dang, I got a last minute question re: warmachine - especially those with vehicles.

Are we expected to show standing figure next to vehicle on Pedestal shot or can we show them inside/mounted ?
Old 13-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #146
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kravo View Post
ok, I tried to make a 1k texture map. It doesn't crash, but it doesn't respond either (I let it run for a 30 mins..)
I have 4gigs of memory, zbrush takes up 2gb, and then nothing happens. cpu load is at 25%... (q6600)
it did make a 256x256 map only that's not quite enough, I guess....

ok, perhaps drop a subdivision level or two before baking out?

2048x2048 = about 4.2million so even if your unwrap is the most perfect unwrap ever there's no point baking off anything over 4 million polys

might work.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #147
kravo

Awards Showcase
poopipe, loads of thanks!
I hope it'll work
edit: it didn't... above 512x512 texture size, it crashes. but only with my main character, which has 6 subd levels...and a s..t load of polies...
well, that was it, I guess...
Poopipe, thx anyway.

Last edited by kravo; 13-05-2009 at 09:49 PM..
Old 14-05-2009, 03:02 AM   #148
mix_mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravo View Post
poopipe, loads of thanks!
I hope it'll work
edit: it didn't... above 512x512 texture size, it crashes. but only with my main character, which has 6 subd levels...and a s..t load of polies...
well, that was it, I guess...
Poopipe, thx anyway.
There could be a number of little things that could be the problem like overlapping UVs, extra points, etc...

Try exporting out the low res version, checking the mesh for abnormalities, making sure the UVs are not overlapped, making sure that your uv map uses ALL of the polygons in your model, etc.... Then reimport the low res version as a new object and projectall to transfer all the polypainting and details across. Now try converting to a texture image.

If it works then you'll know the problem was with the mesh. If it doesn't work then it's a problem with the program. You might have to play with the settings.

That's the best advice I can give.

Good luck.

Paul
(mix_mash)
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #149
MarioC

Awards Showcase
someone know how to animate the output value of a texture???
you can animate it via auto key, but it seems impossible to get deep into the texture value from reaction manager, or the track view :\
Old 14-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #150
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Its all on the Dope sheet, under obj, texture is displayed and if theres a map on text an output option is there. It has rgb level, rgb offset, output anf bump all together.

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 14-05-2009 at 04:09 PM..