>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Game Art

Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #46
gauravcg
Tessellated....

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
Nice challenge.....my first ever attempt on 3dtotal......
does the character need to be a tough one or it can be just a survivor (i mean he/she survived just the situation without needing to fight!)

Low Poly Props (Updated)

gauravcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #47
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuya View Post
a tranny? oh dear o.O
its been done

also

mr toe... any hope of thread thumbnails in the challenge forums ?

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #48
DannyCG

So many great challenges so little time......
DannyCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #49
Ihazard

can the final image be animated..? Because I'd like to show some cogs spinning and stuff (you can see it on my thread actually)
Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #50
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
another low poly character comp? Already? I like this!!! Tho characters are so hard, but i will give it a try!

I waited a few days, i figured someone else had the same questions as i. Sure enough, my questions have been answered. Tho, i have a very general question.

A pet, to me is considered another "character". It may not be the center of attention. But is still indeed a character (considering i have the hero biped character standing next to it). A vehicle, even tho it will fall under "props" by default, it may still be also considered an actor. With all that being said. As long as we don't go over 10k, and not use electricity or magic. We could do ANYTHING we want right?

I got a crazy idea on mind, but i dunno if im gonna have the time to work on this at all..so just making sure i get the rules right before i go gun blazin' into the battle field.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #51
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
gauravcg: that's up to you.

poopipe: I'll see what I can do

Ihazard: you can add an extra animated image if you want. But make sure you still take care of all the other images needed. Don't leave those out.

Neto: your right, anything and everything related to the character, be it pet or vehicle counts towards the 10,000 tris and 2048 texture space.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #52
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
question

where the hell is warlock?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #53
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
I think he may be having a sleep over at Buzzy's house. I hear Lexicon will be there.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 07-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #54
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
damn, do i not have enough golden joysticks to go swinging with the big boys?

Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #55
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
I think they are painting each others toe nails. But I could be wrong.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #56
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Total Awards: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopipe View Post
do i not have enough golden joysticks to go swinging with the big boys?

umm, well now I'm not sure where this one is going, but more than one "joystick," golden or otherwise, would put you into an unnatural category wouldn't it? (one reserved for a special kind of fetish)

btw - great contest too bad my second job has been kicking my ass as far as time to do anything goes...

Last edited by dhin; 07-01-2010 at 04:45 PM..
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #57
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopipe View Post
question

where the hell is warlock?
...been thinking the same thing.
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #58
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Hey guys, glad you've not forgotten about me, I've been around, mostly lurking, Guess I ought to try and jump in on one of these. I messed around with some concepts for the last two challenges, never got anything really going tho.

Sorry Poo, I'm sure it was a clerical error, we'll be sure you get an invite next time.

Its not about how many golden joysticks you have its all about how you use.......wait...what?

Hey Joseph!

Questions....

So, if 10k is the upper tri limit, but for time constraints we wanna work lower spec, what becomes of the textures sheet since we're not permitted to cut it up? I mean a 2048 is gonna be over kill on a 4-5k triangle model, no?

"-2-sided pollies with two separate uv channels are permitted." What's that mean exactly, one set of texture coords for the front and one for the back? And how do I do that?!?!? I've asked a few people before, but no ones been able to shed any light on the matter.

* Lightwave * User

Last edited by Warlock 279; 08-01-2010 at 02:06 AM..
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:09 AM   #59
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
your texture question is a good one.

The "don't chop it up" rule is for people that want to seperate the texture size for more than one model. Example, the human mesh and the weapon would get two seperate texture sheets. I don't want that. But, if you want to use a smaller texture sheet, like a 1024 sheet, that's fine. But, if you have more than one model, they would still need to share the same 1024 texture sheet.

2-sided pollies, thats just a nerdy way of saying that you can apply backfacing to your model. So if you have a simple plan, only one side would recieve any texture space, but you can tun on the 2 sided texture option, so the texture shows on both sides.

seperate uv's, that comes into play with different types of texture maps. So, for your diffuse(main texture) you would have one uv layout, but lets say you don't want a part of your model to have any normal mapping at all, you could re-do the uv's for the normal map. Same thing for a spec map. In the end, there would be two uv layouts for the same model.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 08-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #60
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Yo...
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote