>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > AVATAR

Old 06-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
CLP

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge the Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
Total Awards: 4
Avatar - 2D - CLP - The Last Prince

Hello people, this is my first post and I'm in unfamiliar territory here as I haven't really entered these competitions before. This and dominance war will keep me away from coursework for a while ;p

My concept for an avatar is a prince.

He is the last remaining member of the House of Thanatos. A century ago, the empire attempted to destroy the House hoping to claim their kingdom but they had failed.

Now the last in the bloodline was waged a vengeful war against the empire.

EDIT: put a close up of his face here, i really didnt like havin that line drawin as the thread image lol
Attached Images

Last edited by CLP; 19-02-2009 at 11:20 PM..
CLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
CLP

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge the Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
didnt like last outline, thought this new one looks more dynamic
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I feel that the first one have more action in it but the second one has more focus on the characters so to me it´s more what you want to tell in the image.
mr_carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
CLP

Awards Showcase
well i think the second one would work better for expressing the characters mood and the general atmosphere of the scene. got creative block at the moment too so having hard time comin up with good ideas lol.

il work on a speedpaint of the second one to see what it feels like then il decide which to take forward i think
Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
POSEIdOON

Liked your two sketches, but the last i think is better to give
more focus to your avatar.
POSEIdOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
CLP

Awards Showcase
I did a quick paint of it last night but i think the colours need some work. jus blocked in the background characters for now.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
POSEIdOON

You used some warm colors, i think it works...i imediately imagined the background with some clouds of dust and some fading shapes...

or are you planning of using a detailed background?

can't wait to see more
POSEIdOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
really nice earthy colours, a bit of the colour scheme I had in mind for my character so maby I will have to change them a bit.

Looking really good.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #9
CLP

Awards Showcase
was a bit busy today so didnt get much done but i put an explosion in... lol. any thoughts on whether it should be there or not?

CLP
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
FireSunFox

I think it adds a needed interest to the background and a better sense of depth but it could do with even more, a aircarft? I don't know the army just looks too small in number?? Anyway, it's looking great so far, good luck!!^^
FireSunFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
CLP

Awards Showcase
Took on the advice bout vehicles though i dunno, looks a bit messy now? any advice about the composition of the background?
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
There is alot going on in the background but it´s not to much yet I think.
I like the explosion and the plane looks nice to doesn't bother me much at all, maby there should be some more soldier but not a lot of them, I can see the silhouettes of some so maby one or 2 should get some more detale.

Anyway looking really sweet.
Old 15-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #13
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Just a crazy idea:
If you cut horizontally the image by the middle (approximatly), you got the top piece and the bottom piece, forget the top piece. Now if you cut the bottom piece vertically into 4 equal pieces.
Your prince's foots are (approximatly) in the two center pieces, forget those two center pieces.
Focus on the left side piece and on the right side piece, even if your painting is not symetrical (and it's better like that) maybe you should "erase" those side zones of the image. Using the diagonal of those zones, I would use a graphical sort of "V" trick (smoke, explosion, architecture..., something dark or neutral) aligned with the prince to hide the details and the contrast on those side zones. Why?
The upper part and the prince (the previous forgotten pieces) are what you want to show (I think). If you "erase" the zones I pointed, you'll give more importance to your subject, and the "V" trick will be in opposition with the cape and open the view to the interesting upper part.
But that's just an idea, i'm not sure if you'll understand it, and if it will work, i recommend you test if you like the idea.
My explications are sometimes so complicated when explaining something really simple, I'm sorry about that.

About your work, you've got an amazing painting style, I can feel some great painting experience back there, I'll be back.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
CLP

Awards Showcase
that sounds somewhat nuts washka! lol but I'm up for trying it. uni work is pressing hard so maybe a few days until i post again unless i neglect the work some more lol
cheers for the comments guys.
Old 15-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #15
FireSunFox

Looks great, I don't think it's too much at all, maybe it will get alittle as you define it more?? Keep it up!!^^
FireSunFox is offline   Reply With Quote