>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 17-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Dominance War V - 3D - Vigrahfn Bludstrum [God of the Reckoning] - Warlock 279

I've made some words! Now I make pictures! Then I make polygons!

Back story [Its a long one, sorry 'bout that, there's a summary at the bottom.]

Man became machine. Machine became god.

This story begins with the rumblings of war in the year 3006 on a primitive planet inhabited by the remnants of the human race that long ago ventured out to the stars. As tidings of the what would become the first great war for dominance made their way to this little planet, a young General from a race of proud warriors united clans far and wide and lead them to victory in defense of their home world. When the curtain drew to a close on the war, he was crowned King. His people prospered and his kingdom swelled. Times were good for many years, then came the machines.

The dawn of this second age brought a great threat, and the King was forced to once again take up arms and lead his mighty warriors into battle. The machines were a powerful foe though, too powerful. They killed many. They were relentless. The king prayed to his gods for victory. He prayed for the power to defeat the accursed metal creatures. He fought on, determined to find victory where it seemed only defeat loomed, counting on his gods to help. As the outcome looked ever grim, he grew weary, no mere human could continue to fight like this. He was eventually run through on one of the machines poisoned blades. Carried from the battlefield and his wounds treated, as best they could be, he wasn't able to continue the fight, and was forced to return home feeling disgraced, leaving the battle in the hands what remained of his warriors.

He prayed to his gods. As the war dragged on he received word as the mightiest of his remaining brethren fell to the machines one after another until none remained. Soon he began receiving word from the far reaches of his kingdom that the same fate was befalling his kingdom, and his people. Death for all it seemed, in the most grizzly of fashion at the claws of the machines. Were his prayers not heard? Was this the gods' answer? Had the gods forsaken them? Were there even gods?

By the time the machines reached the throne city, he was far too weak to fight, too weak to even leave his throne, so he watched, as all that remained of of his kingdom was slaughtered and razed. Tortured by his own inability to do anything, he was consumed with grief and anger, he swore he'd have his revenge, somehow, someday. He cursed the very gods he had prayed to, surely they must have forsaken his people. He vowed revenge. The machines moved on, leaving him to die in alone amidst the the wreckage of his kingdom.

In time he received word via a lone remaining messenger that the machines had mysteriously ceased functioning. He was already keenly aware of this tho, he had felt it, it felt as if a part of him had died as well. Was that feeling grief, because he was unable to fight? Was it anger that he been denied his revenge against the machines? Or was it something else altogether? That feeling slowly gave way to a dull ache, with that ache came a pleasant sort of numbness, a sense of detachment. The ache eventually consumed what the anger and grief hadn't, and the numbness consumed it all. This must be death. As the numbness grew to surreal levels, his mind grew cloudy, his name became lost. So many questions. So few answers. So little he could make sense of anymore. The years faded into decades and decades into centuries. If there was anything he could be sure of that, it was that this numbness was death, it had to be.

After far too many years to keep track of, a third age dawned, the age Magic, and with it came another great war. The machines had returned and with their return, his own strength did return. At this point, he didn't know what roused from his throne, or what spurred him to fight, he had nothing left to defend, not even a name, and certainly few would call what he had "life," but never the less he fought, mind clouded, body numb. The enemy was faceless to him but it was clear, anyone or anything that encroached on the land he could see from his thrown, met destruction.

His new found strength far exceeded that of a human. Beneath his skin no longer was there flesh but instead metal, cold and smooth, strong yet flexible. His strength was unmatched by even the most powerful of the machines. Beneath the metal burned a fire, a passion, an energy unlike anything the machines possessed, a soul. Not even the magic users could stand toe to toe with him, he was mighty, he was a force to be reckoned with, but he lacked direction, he lacked purpose. The machine tide was eventually stemmed and turned back and the magic users ceased their trespasses. It must have been victory, he felt empty as he returned to the silence of his throne, mind clouded, body numb.

A fourth era soon followed, and with it came the war against the demons. Again all those who dared set foot on his land, fell. He didn't necessarily seek battle, it seemed more like battle sought him, and the strength he possessed seemed reason enough for him to fight. The war drew on, or chanced by anyway. Days, weeks, years, he couldn't tell, everything beyond the destruction of whoever, or whatever stood before him was shrouded in a fog of confusion, of chaos. Eventually the fourth great War faded and his days of sitting on his throne in the vast emptiness and destruction wrought to his surroundings returned. Mind clouded, body numb.

After a great many years, countless false eras, and what seemed like an eternity for some, a fifth age finally dawned. With it came a new enemy, calling themselves "Gods." Gods? The word seemed familiar. Gods? The word kept ringing in his head. Gods. Gods? Gods! A small crack in that numbness that had so long consumed his very being began to form, and thru that crack the grief, the anger, and his vow for revenge began to seep. Gods! He knew that word well. The anger, the grief, his long forgotten vow, came pouring in, drowning the numbness, washing away the clouds. Gods! He loathed that word, he would destroy that word and all those who claimed it as their title.

Thus the once great king Vigrahfn Bludstrum was born anew, mind sharp and body strong as the "God of the Reckoning."

Here's a picture and a summary for you folks that didn't read all that [I don't blame you, I wouldn't have either].

Summary The great King Vigrahfn Bludstrum, infected by a nano machine virus while fighting the machines in the second dominance war, slowly transcended both human and machine over the following centuries, becoming what would be known as the "God of the Reckoning."

Lots of design elements to sort out yet, but the general idea goes something like this.
Attached Images

* Lightwave * User

Last edited by Warlock 279; 17-03-2011 at 09:46 PM..
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Novian
Mentallic Design

Send a message via AIM to Novian
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 3
Its good, but can you fit the 3DT logo anywhere? I don't see it

Cheers~
Novian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Hey man, great to see you here, gl onto da big war. I've read your summary, but I'll read all your backstory, nice start concept so far!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Send a message via MSN to TekNeek
@Novian

it's the formation on the middle of his shield

Good concept dude!

--Showreel--
TekNeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Copper
Brand Spanking New

Love the background, you're a great storyteller. Your concept looks kind of like this(minus the oriental haircut). Also I love "after many false eras" that's classic

Cozmo
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
mix_mash

He looks pretty damn solid. The thing you really need to watch out for is making him look too much like a generic warrior (a solid one at that but generic nonetheless). He's gotta have something that definitely makes him look god-like. It could be the sense of giant-ness (like the Titans) or elements that people relate to as god-like (wings, halos, overly elaborate and rich costumes). Basically, he has to oversize all others either physically or visually. Rich royal garments (relative to the culture and style) may be a good start.

These are just my ideas you may want to consider.

I look forward to seeing you work in this comp, Warlock. I've seen your work in the past and it's great stuff.

Paul
(mix_mash)
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Total Awards: 4
Not sure I see the Machine side to him, but that may just be thus far... (and your image though comes up really dark on my displays, so it is hard to see the details.)

I really like the idea though and the sketch has a lot of potential.
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
great to see you join mate! cool concept, I'll read ur story when I'm not about to fall asleep

Will you make normal and stuff?
Old 19-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper View Post
Love the background, you're a great storyteller. Also I love "after many false eras"
I spent way too long writing that up, so I'm really glad you liked it.

mix_mash - Thanks. Ya, making him god-like is going to be the trick, especially since he's "born" from a human. Without the back story, he really is just a plain warrior, and I'm willing to accept him as generic. in hopes of really polishing the model/texture.

dhin - Don't look too hard for the machine bits, there aren't gonna be any grears/nuts/bolts or the details in that sketch, I tend to scribble all over and pretend its a detailed concept. He's not gonna have the bolt on arms etc that generally come with the human/machine territory. He's gonna look largely human, and where the flesh is tearing away, its going to revel muscle fiber, except that muscle fiber is metal, he's a machine and a human, bonded at the very core, living metal.

Cordero - Yep, he'll get the full high poly baked to normal map treatment. It'll be my first go round with that, so hopefully I don't make too much of a mess out of the process.

Couple updates, spent last night and today sketching and playing with some ideas. The first are some armor concepts, I'll post them for the sake of posting them, but I think I'm pretty much locked in armor wise. There's a few shapes I like in there, but I'm looking for something that reads as very "viking" and all but a few of those read as "obnoxiously armored fantasy warrior #14012374017" so I'm probably going to stick close to where I started, and just refine that a bit more, unless somebody can make a really strong case for something of that sheet. The second image is a refinement of my first sketch, with some tweaks pulled from the armor concepts sheet. Cheers guys, thanks for stopping by.
Attached Images

* Lightwave * User

Last edited by Warlock 279; 19-03-2011 at 08:40 AM..
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
well, nr8 is pretty good, but after I checked its pretty much ur initial idea, so I think you are on a good way!
Old 19-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Really great exploration here. The number of different armors you came up with staggers me, I'd be hard pressed to come up with 5, letalone 20.

My only real concern is the similarity of your character to this. And, IMO, the further away you can get from any resemblance to a WoW creature, the better off you're going to be :-P

Additionally, I think you did so much great armor exploration, it'd be a shame to see it go to waste. Like Cordero said, number 8 is really good. Also, I find that 20 has this great flow to the armor. Some of the others like 17 and 14 have really nice silhouettes to them.

Hope these comments help, can't wait to see where this ends up!

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Copper
Brand Spanking New

I like 8 or 12. However, why is the concept character so much more stout than the armor concepts? He looks may more generic when he is stout and way more godly with the extra height.

Last edited by Copper; 19-03-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
DeoxyWater

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 1
one vote for 8, 10, 11
DeoxyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
Vitrux
Victoria Passariello

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I Got the second place on Speed Challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
12 body with 14 Head
Vitrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #15
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
2(lower part)-5 mix
12 and 17 are promising.
But your 3/4 concept sketch is already quite interesting so far!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote