>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Weekly Photo Modelling challenge

Old 30-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
Hey Kage,

thanks for your comment. Proportions are indeed off. I need to do as you said (blue) and I also need to move vertices down as shown in red in attached pic. Doing so would make my model more accurate.

Whatcha think?

Also, you should def try to enter these challenges. Seeing what you did with your XBox controller you'd really do well here. Come on!
Attached Images

My WIP dump
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #17
Kage
Perfectionist...

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''The Z-5500 Speaker system'' was featured on the frontpage! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 5
Yeah, those fixes should help.

As for contributing, I'm rather tempted to model this... Always wanted to do a keyboard but didn't want it to be a major project, but I still haven't finished my Xbox set yet...

I'll certainly do one when I've finished everything, but my modeling slowness is really starting to worry me.

EDIT:

Ah stuff it, I've started. Maybe it'll help to do something else for the minute.

I can't get the side image to match up by the way, which makes me think its the wrong image

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S

Last edited by Kage; 01-12-2012 at 01:59 AM..
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Don't forget we're only trying to model as precisely as we can from limited references so it's "ok" if it's not perfect. However, we're trying to be perfect.

Personally these challenges help me become a faster modeller. Working on smaller projects more often helps me better "read" and understand a model.

So if you feel you're slow, try to model lotsa small objects. It helps you master various techniques ("hole on a curve surface? Done that 79 times already!", "Use the array modifier in a super efficient way? Hell yeah!", "Loft? Of course!" ), understanding of topology and how it will react to a turbosmooth modifier etc.

tl;dr
Have fun and don't be too perfectionist when you have limited time.

My WIP dump
Old 01-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
Kage
Perfectionist...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''The Z-5500 Speaker system'' was featured on the frontpage! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
Don't forget we're only trying to model as precisely as we can from limited references so it's "ok" if it's not perfect. However, we're trying to be perfect.

Personally these challenges help me become a faster modeller. Working on smaller projects more often helps me better "read" and understand a model.

So if you feel you're slow, try to model lotsa small objects. It helps you master various techniques ("hole on a curve surface? Done that 79 times already!", "Use the array modifier in a super efficient way? Hell yeah!", "Loft? Of course!" ), understanding of topology and how it will react to a turbosmooth modifier etc.

tl;dr
Have fun and don't be too perfectionist when you have limited time.
I'm still finding it hard not to be, even on a limited time model. It's a major problem I have it seems...

The black keys, I'm struggling to get that shape they have at the front, where they have a curve on just the corners, like a bevel, but its not a standard bevel!!

I guess its also why I procrastinate so much. I almost don't like to model because of how I am, but do it anyway for some reason ha...

Hopefully this thread will help me get over some problems and complete a model quickly.

I have finished the keys and will post updates shortly, though its took me almost all day to do them, though I did only get up at 1pm.

EDIT:

Keybed all done:

As you can see, I've got that subtle curve going on in the white and black keys that I can see in the images, ha. Took a while to figure out that, but looking pretty much perfect now.

For some reason though, I'm now getting excited about modeling a keyboard..

EDIT 2:

The side image certainly doesn't match up. I'm so confused right now.
The back has a straight bit, but the side image doesn't have a straight portion at the back, so I don't think its right at all

I've had to do some guess work, but I have the basic shape down. Just need to do smoothing to the shell.

Here is a render of the shell unsmoothed. Day 1 complete

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S

Last edited by Kage; 02-12-2012 at 03:03 AM..
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #20
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Way to go, they look good now.
Reflection on the black keys show a sort of ellipse on the front of the key, ya know? Can you post wireframes too pls?

Quote:
I guess its also why I procrastinate so much. I almost don't like to model because of how I am, but do it anyway for some reason ha...
You should also give speed modelling challenges a go. 60 or 90min sessions are a really good exercise. It forces you to get to the point quickly.

I'll post more progress tomorrow evening I think.

My WIP dump
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #21
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Looking great to me!
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 11
This is what i got so far, gonna start working on the blackkeys and the little joystick the next.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
Kage
Perfectionist...

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
Way to go, they look good now.
Reflection on the black keys show a sort of ellipse on the front of the key, ya know? Can you post wireframes too pls?

You should also give speed modelling challenges a go. 60 or 90min sessions are a really good exercise. It forces you to get to the point quickly.

I'll post more progress tomorrow evening I think.
That ellipse on the black keys is intentional. It's in the images I've seen, and they exist on real piano keys also, to give a smoother feel.
If you have a piano, go have a look

This is the wire for them:

I think I will give more a go in the future. More progress tonight.

Looking good MStandar.

Its funny how we all have slightly different ideas about how this thing is shaped

EDIT 2:

Only done refinements tonight. Correcting height, etc. All the buttons next

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S

Last edited by Kage; 02-12-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #24
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Todays update on the keyboard. still lots of things/tweaks to do.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Nice one MS. Black keys should be taller but I guess you'll come to that later.

Today's progress. Not happy with myself, it's one of those days... Not much to show cos I've mainly been cleaning up my model.

My WIP dump
Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #26
JHarford
Director@Airship

Send a message via MSN to JHarford
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Whipslash bane featured on top row The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Female thread up on plug bar The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My skateboard model was featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Rick whipslash bane was on the top row of the forums The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Posting a video in the Sculpting thread The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! 
Just noticed the keys on the 88 version ( the one in the original images ) are boxlike, not shaped keys on the underside like the 61 version as I made.

Check this image -

Name:  keysClose.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  11.2 KB

I already modelled the wrong keys. So I'll have to go back in redo it.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  138.3 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  126.2 KB
JHarford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #27
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
I know you wanna get it right, but it'd be a shame as that's some beautiful modelling ...... i'll leave it up to you
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #28
Kage
Perfectionist...

Awards Showcase
JHarford, not seen you in a while! Glad you noticed that shape to the black keys too, as I've seen you've modeled them in the same way I have.

Updates are very slow as I have work that lasts from quite early, to quite late, so have to find spot times to model.
For example, today I did a 1.30pm til 10pm. Doesn't give me a lot of time really.

Got round to smoothing the main hull, though haven't properly smoothed off the back yet.
Got to add that ridge bit that goes around, but that shouldn't be too hard.

I can now start mapping out the rest of the buttons now though.

Also noticed a smoothing issue with keys I will sort tomorrow.

Here are a few screen grabs of progress before bed... I will get around... 5 hours sleep now haha...

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S

Last edited by Kage; 04-12-2012 at 03:31 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #29
JHarford
Director@Airship

Send a message via MSN to JHarford
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Whipslash bane featured on top row The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Female thread up on plug bar The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My skateboard model was featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Rick whipslash bane was on the top row of the forums The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Posting a video in the Sculpting thread The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! 
Nice work buddy!

I was afraid about the white keys having smoothing errors on them like I can see in your last pic where the white key inner edges meet the black keys. It actually seems like a soft curve aswell and not a 90degree angle.

I don't think running edges will get the shape so it will have to be modeled by hand. I attached how I did it which I think removes the smoothing problem of edge running.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  120.0 KB

I'm finding the overal shape quite tricky to get especially the bottom side as I have no references for it.

Hope you get a chance to continue after work

Classic - I know! I wish the keys were like this. I've remodeled them correctly now, I suppose it was good practice.
JHarford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #30
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
You guys have crazy eyes for details. I don't want to redo it all, I won't have time to finish otherwise.

Ah well, I'll do better next time I guess.

My WIP dump